iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Enables Street View

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded iPhone 2.2 Firmware Beta 2 and has fully enabled Google Street View. We had previously reported that Beta 1 of iPhone 2.2 had hidden APIs related to the Street View for Google Maps, but was not enabled.

Apple seeded iPhone 2.2 Firmware Beta 2 to developers tonight. The seed notes also indicated that Line-in audio accessories are now supported in the SDK.

Article Link: iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Enables Street View

2. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how well it works on the go.

3. macrumors 6502

i wonder if google maps will work in china in this update or not

4. macrumors member

toujames

YAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Finally!!!!:eek::eek:

Now we just need flashplayer!!!:D

5. macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Excellent! It's always difficult to figure a map without a good idea what something is supposed to look like, and having a nice ultra-portable solution would be grand! :cool:

6. macrumors member

Last time I browse MR under the influence. I thought that was a GTA screenshot...

7. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I just cant wait for this update. While Apple is adding features that we don't really need I guess they won't add something important like, oh IDK MMS or video recording?

8. macrumors member

if only street view was available in toronto ... :(

9. macrumors newbie

Before we erupt into a "I want Flash!", "Flash is stupid!" debate....The normal Google Street View does run in the Flash plug-in, does it not?

10. macrumors 68000

11. macrumors regular

I wonder if it will be implemented like the Tmobile G1 android phone, where once it is in street view you can move the phone around physically and the view will correspond with your movement. For example you could stand in one spot and hold the phone up and move your body in 360 degrees, and as you do that you get a 360 degree view of the location. If your still not understanding my explanation following the link, and at the end of the video you'll see it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1803302901/bctid1812186010

12. macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Not much good for iPod touch users. The line-in part sounds great though.

13. macrumors 68000

Google maps does not work on the iTouch?
    :confused::(

I did not know that.

14. macrumors 6502

According to the site:
    http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/problems/fixed/
    There will be a button in the upcoming 2.2 firmware, that will let you batch update in the app store on your iPhone/iPod Touch:
    [​IMG]

"In iTunes there is an option to 'update all' applications, after which you can sync your iPhone and have all of the apps updated at once. The ability to batch update will also be available on the iPhone itself in the 2.2 software update."

15. macrumors regular

Google Maps street view? really? they just keep putting off the push service aren't they. and MMS even tho we don't know if that's ever coming

16. macrumors regular

That's pretty. When do I get to play with it. I don't care at all about pretty screen shots, I want to know when it will be mine to play with

17. macrumors 6502

Steve as in Steve Jobs? o.o

18. macrumors regular

xtbfx

Screw street view. Where's PUSH NOTIFICATIONS??? All we know is, it's months overdue. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502

nickXedge

As cool as this is I think it should be lower on that priority list Apple mentioned a little while back. I know everyones going to mention these but I agree that things like push services, MMS, and copy/paste should be higher as they have more functional use, IMO. Let the riot ensue.

20. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Now, if they combine this with tragectory-based GPS calculations, then the iPhone should automatically know what direction you are traveling in and zero in on what angle to look at in a Google Street View snapshot. Now, that'd really be taking software to the next level.

21. macrumors 65816

amac4me

I would think that 2.2 will include push notifications. I know many have been eagerly waiting for this.

Anyone want to guess when the firmware will be released? It would be nice if it was released prior to the end of the year but I think we may end up having to wait until Macworld 09.

22. macrumors 6502

You know, now that the iPhone has GPS and a camera Google could theoretically start mapping out the world with photos.:eek:

23. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

LINE-IN AUDIO!

That's probably one of the best things about any update—for me—on the iPhone so far! If this means I could have a mono line-level input through the 1/8" jack, that means I don't have to buy a Marantz CF card recorder anymore... as long as someone makes a good recording app for the iPhone (for relatively cheap).

The iPhone is becoming more and more an 'everything' killer! A few more years, and you could probably use it as a salt shaker and a water dispenser :D.

24. macrumors 65816

What good is street view on a portable device?

If you want to see what the street looks from where you are, just put down your iPhone and look with your eyes. :) :) :)

Mostly kidding, but downloadable maps would be more useful that street view.

25. macrumors newbie

barefootman

Get the basics right first.

I think Apple need to make sure that the GPS chip works correctly in the iPhone to start with.

I am in Sydney, Australia and quite a few times, when I start the Maps application, it zooms in on a small village in Hungary! I know it can be out by a few metres, but close to 20,000 kms?!?!:eek:

Really, :apple:, fix the basics and then add the froth on top.