Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some early upgraders of iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 who are accustomed to 3rd party applications may be interested in restoring their iPhones to the previous firmware, version 1.0.2.

At the moment, this does not appear to be possible due to the new firmware's use of upgraded GSM modem firmware, which is not downgrade-able by simply applying the old system firmware. More information can be found via this hackint0sh forum thread.

Naturally, we will monitor the situation and provide updates as warranted.

Article Link

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Well, I bit the bullet and did the upgrade-- big mistake :(

I'm already missing iBlackjack and my customized summerboard :/ Black is sooo boring :( :(

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, non-iTMS custom ringtones don't work at ALL with 1.1.1, even with iTunes 7.4.1 and the renaming hack.

AppleSJ511606

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
that's a swift kick in the nuts for anyone attempting to upgrade, see what it's like, and attempt to downgrade to 3rd party apps

Hope those haxorz get movin!

jeffyhow

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
that's a swift kick in the nuts for anyone attempting to upgrade, see what it's like, and attempt to downgrade to 3rd party apps

Hope those haxorz get movin!

Like me...and I didn't even want to use 3rd party aps or unlock it. I just wanted to use it with a non iPhone AT&T plan which I had. Now my day old iPhone is stuck waiting for me to pay $20 more a month for 24 months or wait for an activation hack.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
Like me...and I didn't even want to use 3rd party aps or unlock it. I just wanted to use it with a non iPhone AT&T plan which I had. Now my day old iPhone is stuck waiting for me to pay $20 more a month for 24 months or wait for an activation hack.

why did you update it?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have a feeling this one might come back and bite Apple in the butt.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA

Exchange it. It's only a day old.

designimbus

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2007
Custom ringtones still working

I'm already missing iBlackjack and my customized summerboard :/ Black is sooo boring :( :(

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, non-iTMS custom ringtones don't work at ALL with 1.1.1, even with iTunes 7.4.1 and the renaming hack.

I updated to 1.1.1 and my custom ringtones are still working on iTunes 7.4.1.
I didn't use a program to install them, I manually did the renaming and they are still working fine.

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
anySIM and iPhoneSimFree

Well, I locked my iPhone using anySIM, but per reports I cannot update it to the new firmware (1.1.1) until the dev team figures out how to relock the phone to "virgin" state. However, iPhoneSimFree's method does seem to withstand the update. Could I theoretically purchase iPhoneSimFree's software and apply it to my iPhone (which is already unlocked via anySIM), and then update the firmware to 1.1.1?

infinityonhigh

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
San Antonio, TX

So you've already installed the update? I've yet to talk to anyone that had install.app and tried updating. I'm really apprehensive to update my iPhone, I am with AT&T so I didn't unlock it but I had the installer.app on it. I can do without the third party applications because I didn't have them on there for a long period of time I just want to double check my iPhone will still work after updating it.

jeffyhow

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
Exchange it. It's only a day old.

I ordered it online and I don't think they'll just give me a new one for no reason. It's not bricked, I just can't activate it in iTunes because I don't want to pay $20 more a month for 2 yrs.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
So you've already installed the update? I've yet to talk to anyone that had install.app and tried updating. I'm really apprehensive to update my iPhone, I am with AT&T so I didn't unlock it but I had the installer.app on it. I can do without the third party applications because I didn't have them on there for a long period of time I just want to double check my iPhone will still work after updating it.

your phone will still work u just wont have any more 3rd party aps...the new frimware just restores your phone back to the original state, but it wont brick it, because i had app tap and installed the update and my phone still works as it did before

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
if i buy an iphone right now, can i downgrade to 1.0.2 or is that out of the question? When are 3rd party apps expected to be available on 1.1.1?

eddiebrock

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
This thread needs to be either closed or updated as the headline is no longer accurate. Many people here and at hackint0sh have confirmed that a method illustrated by user KMAC works like a charm to downgrade.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/362515/

and

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9032

Phone will get wi-fi and other non-phone functionalities back.

Development of a baseband downgrade is in progress and should be completed shortly, after which those risk takers can safely get back to 1.0.2 completely.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9105

eddiebrock

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
if i buy an iphone right now, can i downgrade to 1.0.2 or is that out of the question? When are 3rd party apps expected to be available on 1.1.1?

You should be able to downgrade to 1.0.2 as soon as the baseband downgrade is complete. If you buy the phone now, you will be able to downgrade to 1.0.2 but won't be able to use the phone function. That should be fixed in a few days, so just wait it out and then you can do a full downgrade. :)

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
You should be able to downgrade to 1.0.2 as soon as the baseband downgrade is complete. If you buy the phone now, you will be able to downgrade to 1.0.2 but won't be able to use the phone function. That should be fixed in a few days, so just wait it out and then you can do a full downgrade. :)

So even w/ ATT, there would be no phone functionality?

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
No, i have AT&T and i did the downgrade this morning. All phone functions, texting, and visual voicemail still work just fine, and i still have the modem firmware that came with the 1.1.1 update.

best news I have heard in a while. so would you say the downgrade is worth the trouble even w/ an att locked phone?

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I'm really happy I downgraded. I synced it right before I started it, so when you get to the step at the end where it restores to the last sync in itunes, all of my contacts, settings, calendars, etc were there. I just had to resync my music and movies, put in my voicemail, wifi, and email account passwords, and I was good to go. Of course I had to put my NES roms and ringtones back on using SSH, but that's no biggie either. If you really miss apptap, definitely go for it, you won't be sorry.

match/cut

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Safari stops phone calls HELP!!!!

This may be well known but has been a big problem for me. Please let me know if others have the same problem. While on the edge network (Not Wi-fi) and having Safari open my phone will not inform me of any incoming calls and voicemails take 10-30min to show up.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Obviously if you're using edge you cant receive phone calls.
Its like using your phone line for dialup internet and expecting to receive phonecalls at the same time also.
It dont work like that.
But voicemails should show up shortly after you log off the web/edge

This may be well known but has been a big problem for me. Please let me know if others have the same problem. While on the edge network (Not Wi-fi) and having Safari open my phone will not inform me of any incoming calls and voicemails take 10-30min to show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.