Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy00m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Hi, do you know what happened there in the top left corner?
Will Apple replace this fault if under warranty?

thank you guys for your help!

DSC292..jpg

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Is it always there or just on the lock screen?

Just making sure it's not part of the image you use for wallpaper.

If not Apple will replace without a doubt.

Andy00m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
i have downloaded completely white wallpaper to take best picture as possible.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I had this on my 6 and have seen plenty of threads with people experiencing the same with the 6S/6S+ it's not dead pixels its more like some sort of heat or pressure from behind. On mine it'd start to retain the carrier logo after periods of long use.

If you're still under warranty then get it repaired/swapped, more so considering the other issues you've mentioned ☺️

Reactions: Andy00m

withe011

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
To add another data point here, I had to return my 6 in July for what seems to be a similar issue. First, there was a hazy line down the middle of the screen. Then, after a month or so, the pixels on the top left of the screen went dead like yours. One day, I took it out of the case to clean it and noticed the screen was separating from the chassis on the left side. Turns out the battery was swelling and putting pressure on the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it with no trouble even though it was a nearly two-year-old phone. They said it was a known issue for the 6.

IGWT15

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
your best tool to check for dead pixels is an app on the App Store called spotter. Every year as soon as I buy an iPhone I check for dead pixels with that app. I love it. Never fails. Good luck !

Andy00m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
What model of phone? When did you buy it? Does it have other signs of drop damage?
its iphone 6.
it did fell one time from like 2-3 ft. last year not sure if its connected. I did not noticed it back then.
this is how it looks like from the top, im not using a case at all.
[doublepost=1474726714][/doublepost]
To add another data point here, I had to return my 6 in July for what seems to be a similar issue. First, there was a hazy line down the middle of the screen. Then, after a month or so, the pixels on the top left of the screen went dead like yours. One day, I took it out of the case to clean it and noticed the screen was separating from the chassis on the left side. Turns out the battery was swelling and putting pressure on the screen. I took it to Apple and they replaced it with no trouble even though it was a nearly two-year-old phone. They said it was a known issue for the 6.
your best tool to check for dead pixels is an app on the App Store called spotter. Every year as soon as I buy an iPhone I check for dead pixels with that app. I love it. Never fails. Good luck !

thx. guys. for your help! using this app it looks like those pixels are not actually dead, because it displayes: Green, Red, blue and even white it looks just fine. But if i wanna display something little bit greyish it´s visible.

Attachments

• DSC2932..jpg
    DSC2932..jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Probabl
its iphone 6.
it did fell one time from like 2-3 ft. last year not sure if its connected. I did not noticed it back then.
this is how it looks like from the top, im not using a case at all.
[doublepost=1474726714][/doublepost]

thx. guys. for your help! using this app it looks like those pixels are not actually dead, because it displayes: Green, Red, blue and even white it looks just fine. But if i wanna display something little bit greyish it´s visible.
Probably related to dropping your phone, but may not be.

If it's an out of warranty 2-year-old iPhone 6, Apple has no obligation to repair anything for you. An out of warranty screen replacement is $110 or so. Apple will run a diagnostic on it to see how everything is working. Some folks get lucky, and Apple replaces for free, but that's going above and beyond policy.

Make an appointment, get ready to drop $110, be pleasantly surprised if you don't.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Probabl

Probably related to dropping your phone, but may not be.

If it's an out of warranty 2-year-old iPhone 6, Apple has no obligation to repair anything for you. An out of warranty screen replacement is $110 or so. Apple will run a diagnostic on it to see how everything is working. Some folks get lucky, and Apple replaces for free, but that's going above and beyond policy.

Make an appointment, get ready to drop $110, be pleasantly surprised if you don't.
Mine was never dropped yet developed the exact same issue in the same corner after 12-18 months use. Same goes for the majority of others with the same issue. It's some sort of design flaw, relating to heat or pressure.

To the OP I'm sure as long as you remain polite and explain the symptoms they'll sort it, maybe look up some of the other threads on here and on the apple discussion site and print them off to take with you. Even if you do end up spending $110 it's still cheaper than a new phone!

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.