iPhone (Germany) to be Announced Next Week?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) has "clinched" the exclusive deal with Apple to sell the iPhone in Germany.

According to Reuters source, the deal will be announced next week. This would coincide with Apple's "Mum is no longer the word" Media event to be held in London on September 18th.

The initial price of the German iPhone is expected to be 399 euros ($554). T-Mobile as reportedly agreed to the both voice and data revenue sharing with Apple.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Yay for Germany. :)

Canada......next? never? help???
  3. macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Any word yet on it being sold unlocked? Isn't that mandatory in certain European countries?
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2007
    could apples hook-up with t-mobile help US t-mobile costumers get visual viocemail that are using unlocked iphones?
  5. macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I can't imagine....no way...
  6. macrumors 68000

Jun 20, 2007
  7. macrumors 604

May 21, 2007
    Well, it will take longer for Canada because it's not a major market. Germany is the 2nd or 3rd largest consumer market behind the US. Japan is also up there. If Apple is going by a "large markets first" policy, then I'd say you're going to be waiting a bit longer.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2006
    Las Vegas
    400 Euros for a non-3G phone? Do they actually plan on selling any?

The phone has to be a 3G phone. No way around it. Thinksecret is wrong on this.
  9. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    399€ sounds a bit dodgy.. That's quite a lot of a price difference from the US version. If the EU version doesn't have any different hardware, then why spend some 150USD more on it?
  10. macrumors 604

May 21, 2007
    Apple's costs of currency exchange and higher costs in Europe (taxes for example) mean that there is going to be a higher price when compared to USD.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    No 3G in iPhone would subject Apple to mockery from Europeans. anything other than 3G in Europe is worthless.
  12. 2ms
    macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah I was just over in Finland this summer talking to some Nokia guys, actually, and then to a lot of other Finns at other times about the iPhone and they all couldn't get around the fact it doesn't have 3G. Basically, a phone that expensive without 3G to them was laughable.
  13. macrumors 68000

Jun 20, 2007
    And every interface Nokia has made was laughable compared to the iPhone.

Maybe they should stop chatting and start producing phones without horrible interfaces.
  14. macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    The iPod Touch isn't 3G and I'm sure they're selling plenty of those... ;)
  15. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2005
    If it's a 16GB iPhone then that's a bloody great price.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    3G is overrated here in the states. AT&T's 3G coverage is not anything to write home about.

Here in New York state, there are only 2 places that have 3G coverage, NYC and the Hamptons. The rest of the state is on EDGE. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany are all EDGE.

So if the 3G coverage is not there in most states, why should Apple put it into the iPhone?

I'm pretty happy with my 190kbps on EDGE as is because if I need faster speeds I just find myself a WiFi locale in a pinch.
  17. macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    399 sounds like a joke. 349 will be reasonable though.
  18. macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    It is with a contract as far as I know. Prepaid can be sold locked. Either way this will be interesting.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2006
    a gasping dying planet
    5 million by year's end

quote me, opening up in europe in time for christmas, even in selected countries will give jobs half his projected 10 mill by the end of next year - by the end of this year. i might just be one of them . . . :apple::D
  20. macrumors 68040

Oct 23, 2006
    Err... it's not a phone...

Everyone knows that the US 'cell phone' market stinks.

Japan and Europe are leagues ahead. 3G is almost total in Japan and over in the UK we have 3G in every city and good coverage elsewhere (someone will argue I am sure).

To sell well (for a 2 year contract) it needs 3G. Otherwise it is not 'future proof' enough and people won't want to be locked down for 2 years with no chance to get a different phone.
  21. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany... UK... France... What about Spain ? :confused:
  22. macrumors 68020

Aug 29, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Apple should release a 3G version of the iPhone for the German market. Then I could import one and use it in Canada on Rogers network. :D
  23. macrumors 604

May 21, 2007
    Who said France? France and Spain will be tertiary concerns for Apple. The larger more affluent markets will be the first ones to see the iPhone. I think after Germany and the UK, the next best market for the iPhone is Japan.
  24. macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2005
    Not wanting to argue exactly but I live in Edinburgh and I've only ever seen the 3G symbol on my phone a few times (I was actually confused at to what it was). Mainly noticed it in European airports.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2005
    Jeepers, a little hasty aren't we? Shouldn't we find out what the specs are first?

£399 euros is what a 16GB iPod touch goes for... Mind you, that suggests it isn't what a 16GB iPhone would go for - but then again you've got a LOT of bills to pile up on top of that, 10% of which Apple are getting.