Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Occasionally, when I sync, iTunes will start filling my iPhone with "Other" content which starts to force out photos and music. I have no idea what this "Other" content is, but it's not anything that I have chosen to sync. As it is an occasional issue, it's clearly a software issue. It started after the update to 1.1.1.

To fix it, I have to restore my iPhone, which is annoying.

Anyone have the same issue?

Deslock

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004
Occasionally, when I sync, iTunes will start filling my iPhone with "Other" content which starts to force out photos and music. I have no idea what this "Other" content is, but it's not anything that I have chosen to sync. As it is an occasional issue, it's clearly a software issue. It started after the update to 1.1.1.

To fix it, I have to restore my iPhone, which is annoying.

Anyone have the same issue?

No problem like that here. Is your iPhone jailbroken? How large is your "Other" content? (for purposes of comparison, mine is ~37 MB)

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
do you have the album artwork for your itunes collection? after i downloaded the artwork for the songs i have, i started to notice some "other stuff" during synch. but it doesn't wory too much cuz i still 3 gigs of space left.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
No problem like that here. Is your iPhone jailbroken? How large is your "Other" content? (for purposes of comparison, mine is ~37 MB)

Never hacked my phone. My "Other" content is 27.3MB, i.e. nothing. Randomly, though, the orange bar grows to 3 or 4 gig, and starts pushing out photos and audio content.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
do you have the album artwork for your itunes collection? after i downloaded the artwork for the songs i have, i started to notice some "other stuff" during synch. but it doesn't wory too much cuz i still 3 gigs of space left.

There's plenty of album art on there, but typically even with that included the "Other" content is <30meg. Randomly it grows to 3 or 4 gig.

Yreg

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
I know, that its too late, and reyward solved this ages ago, but ive got the same problem today and on whole internet i found just this tread. So for future generations :D

solution: delete>

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_control2

after that it worked.. at least to me.

Ive got fw2.0 iPhone 8GB, jailbroken with winpwn.

By the way mine "Other" raised to 7.2GB

Bye.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Other includes Ringtones and Album Art/Lyrics. I have had this happen when I loose my connection during sync, everthing is corrupted and I have to restore because all my music shows up under "other". It is a bit annoying, but if you are having this consistently, you may want to see if Apple can figure it out.

TEG

pliundemix

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
There's plenty of album art on there, but typically even with that included the "Other" content is <30meg. Randomly it grows to 3 or 4 gig.

Hey ray I know it's been a long time since this was posted but did you ever find a solution to deleting "Other" disk usage??

I followed this instructions posted here by memeber betyar:

"The absolute easiest way to do this is using iFuntastic's 'File Manager'... Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.

Hope that helps."

And I thought it worked because when I synced "Other" was gone and all the other things...music...apps..pictures...showed up with their correct disk usage...but when I went into my iPhone and tried playing a song it just kicked me back to the song list and all my music became unplayable...

PLease man I really need to solve this issue would really appreciate your help...

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.