Iphone: ghost emails or false alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hdsalinas, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hdsalinas
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

I have owned my iphone4 for about a month now, and since last week I have heard (I have it in a dock next to my iMac) random "false" alerts as if I had received a new email - but when i look in my inbox there is nothing new -ghost email?.

I have looked for new sms, facebook notifications or anything that would generate a badge but there is nothing new.

What could generate these random alerts (about two during the day)?

2. grantsdale
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Probably a different app that does push notifications that you don't think to check.

3. ckurt25
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I've noticed something similar on mine. At times it's a real "ghost" item and other times I've noticed that if I'm using the phone and see that there is a new email and maybe it's not completely downloaded I can delete it but it'll vibrate 5-30 seconds later when it downloads and I guess ends up in trash.
    But like I said, other times it does what you're describing. Werid...

4. LIVEFRMNYC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

I was going to make a completely differ thread about something simular. I get these emails that reads .....

(No Sender)
    (No Subject)
    This message has no content

I can't open or delete them and it stays as a new email. Eventually, usually within the day it would just dissapear. I tried to single it out to a certain email box and nothing, it only shows up in the "All Inboxes" tab.

This happens at random and started happening around 2 months ago.

5. ckurt25
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I get those too. Again, I think that happens as partial data is downloaded from your email servers to the phone. It knows something is there but not the sender, subject or body. If I see one of those I set the phone down and some time later (a minute, maybe 5) go back and that message isn't there any more. I've also seen where the sender is there, I click on the message and there is no body to the email. Again, put the phone down and go back later and it's there.

6. LIVEFRMNYC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

The thing is I never got thoses until I updated to 4.3.3. I am jailbroken tho.

7. ckurt25
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Jailbusted here too. I honestly can't say how long thats been happening with me.