iPhone GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by oOSpOOkYOo, Jul 10, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I don't know why this never crossed my mind, or why I haven't seen anyone else really mention it (haven't searched the forum btw), but essentially if someone could un-cripple (is this at all feasible?) the bluetooth on the iPhone and also write some program, couldn't we use a fairly cheap, ~$45, bluetooth GPS receiver to get REAL GPS functionality?

-Steve

2. macrumors 603

roland.g

I'm sure there will be a 3rd party dock port connector GPS device out at some time.

Honestly I need to know where I'm going, I already know where I am.

3. macrumors member

Exactly!

4. macrumors 6502

I was veryyy upset that GPS was not included (or any way of providing live-updating turn-by-turn directions) but then after just several minutes on the google maps app, I was so impressed by the wealth of information provided (far more than my car's nav system) that I am more than fine without it! Having an actual picture of the destination is very useful!

5. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nope, I liked no GPS so that the battery life would last a lot longer in fact :) Last night I ran out of batteries completely :). :apple:

6. macrumors member

A little more pricey but a GPS option

I have the Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS unit $450.00.

It has Bluetooth for HANDS FREE calling and will sync to your iPHONE and upload your contacts to the Garmin. It also has a FM transmitter so I can play calls through my car stereo. It also has a mic that works great.

I have GPS, Bluetooth calling and when I hook the iPHONE to the iPHONE adptor I have on my Murano I can listen to music through the stereo and when a call comes in the iPHONE mutes itself.

The Grmin is very small and works great.

7. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

The iPhone doesn't need GPS. It already has locational technology built-in, as do every mobile phone sold in the US since March of 2002.

Wonder if Apple will enable us to use it for other than 911 calls?

8. macrumors 68000

Sobe

a GPS just lets the men in black helicopters find you more easily.