iPhone hands free phone audio through car speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by srowndedbyh2o, Dec 31, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

I currently use a Kensington LiquidAUX car kit to both charge my iPhone and play tunes through my car stereo speakers via the auxiliary port in my car. The sound quality is much better than one of those FM transmitters. However, when making/receiving phone calls, the music fades out then the call comes in over the iPhones own speaker. The volume on the iPhone speaker is too low to be of use for hands-free phone calls, unless I’m stopped, and windows rolled up.
    Does anyone know of a device that will function like the LiquidAUX (charge iPhone and play audio through aux port) with the addition of the phone call audio coming through the car speakers instead of the iPhone speaker? Seems like this would be the ideal device, and I’m surprised I can’t locate one.

2. macrumors 6502

3. thread starter macrumors regular

The Parrot does look pretty nice. Since it’s using the base to connect to the stereo system, is it also charging the iPhone when it’s plugged in? I didn’t see any mention of it on their website. I’m hoping to find something that just plugs in, rather than having to be installed. Also, I’ve read many negative reviews about the Parrot. Maybe it’s due to lack of firmware updates?

4. macrumors 6502

I have an Alpine stereo in my car, with the Alpine/Parrot Bluetooth. The normal iPod lead plugs in to the USB port on the head unit, and the bluetooth does all the phone call stuff through the car's speakers.

Stereo is a CDA-105Ri, the BT unit for it is the KCA-BT400.

5. macrumors regular

did you try putting the call on and off speaker-phone

6. macrumors 6502

Yes, it charges it.

You read negatives about the mki 9200?! That surprises me. They have released several firmware updates for that model. Besides the occasional glitch, I have had no problems. We have 3 different iPhones that pair with it. You don't have to do anything, just start the car, and everything pairs on its own. You only plug it in if you want to charge your phone or have full control of your music. You can also play the iPod or pandora via Bluetooth. You can even plug in a thumb drive or sd card with music on it. You do firmware updates via thumbdrive.

OK, I gushing, but I do love that thing:)

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I tried that. Funny thing is, when I’m dialing on the iPhone keypad, each time I press a number, the “beep” sound comes through the car speakers, but as soon as the phone connection is made, the audio switches over from the car speakers to the iPhone:(