iPhone headset solutiion

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AJsAWiz, Jul 13, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Just like the Apple earphones for iPods these are too large for my ears. They keep popping out :(
    I found a solution for the iPod ear buds by attaching an "adapter" that clips over the ear bud with a rubber tip that goes in the ear. Well, I found a similar device for the iPhone headsets. I've ordered, but haven't received it yet. I expect them to work as well as the ones I use for my iPod. They can be found here:
    http://www.eforcity.com/cothxxxxhsp1.html

2. macrumors member

Wow nice find. I havent seen these before. I cant stand the regular Apple earbuds. Those things are huge and hurt my ears after about 30 seconds. I will pick these up and give them a try. When you get yours let us know how they work out for you!

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

I sure will. They are supposed to ship in 1 - 3 days. ;)

4. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I love the apple headset but like you hate the new buds...thanks for the heads up.

5. macrumors newbie

Sweet these look like they will work!!! Nice find and solution. I'm ordering now. Thanks :)

6. macrumors member

I generally prefer silicone over foam tips on earbuds, but I just found these and thought I would share them with you. These are Comply Whoomp earbud enhancers that are compatible with the iPhone's earbuds. These use a type of memory foam that molds to your ear, and may be worth a look. However, these are quite a bit more expensive than the silicone tips from eforcity, totaling $19.99 before shipping costs.

Check them out:
    http://www.hearingcomponents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0141&keywords=all

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Looks nice but how do you know that they are compatible with the iPhone's ear buds? On the web site it states "Designed for iPod". I've noticed that there is a difference between some iPod ear buds and the iPhone ear buds. The ear bud "adapter" I purchased previously for the iPod ear buds do not fit the iPhone ear buds.

8. macrumors member

Ahh good question. I'm assuming that the iPhone earbuds are the same size as the new style earbuds that ship with the iPods, and the comply website clearly states and shows that the new ipod earbuds are compatible. Either way, I've ordered a set and will let you know if they fit.

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Great! I'll be watching for your post :)
    Thanks!

10. macrumors 6502a

Very cool find. Thank you!

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

More ear bud "pads"

Here's another one that's similar. It costs a little more, comes in different colors and sizes (even though I'd only need the small).

http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17

Now keep in mind that it doesn't say they are compatible with iPhone ear buds, just iPod. So, it may not fit. The first site I gave actually gives the diameter. I measured the iPhone ear buds and it looks like they will fit.

Maybe someone will order them and post their opinion :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502

Like many of you guys, i dont like the apple ear buds.....glad that apple gives you a pair of them with whatever you buy from them, but they fall right out of your ears when you exercise.........however, i have a solution that worked for me, and might work for you depending on your earphones. Usually, earphones come with extra rubber that is usually thicker than it needs to be and is really for look if anything. On some earphones, like the ones I purchased form the apple store (some nike ones), if you take the rubber around the pin off, they fit perfect, sound perfect and dont need an adapter:D

13. macrumors member

That website now shows compatible with iPhone! :apple:

Looks like I have a decision to make.

14. macrumors member

This is EXACTLY what I need. I hate Apple's ear buds (what else is new), and was considering splurging on the Vibe Duo's, but was turned off by the lack of the click-button functionality, plus I already have Shure e2c's so it seemed like a possible waste to spend $100 for new iPhone earphones. These tips, if they fit right, are right up my alley. And if better quality earphones with the a good microphone/click-button functionality arrive down the road, I'm golden!

Anyone who gets any of these, please post your thoughts in here. I'm excited to see how they work and if the Apple buds still hurt your ears even with the attachments on.

15. macrumors member

Griffin Earjams

I picked up a set of Griffin Earjams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4039-EJAM-EarJam-Enhancing/dp/B0006Q7FFG) last week from Amazon. I found that the sound quality is definitely worse. The bass is too heavy, mid-tones are boxy, and the high end is diminished. Turning on the "treble booster" EQ helps but it's definitely not an ideal solution. But at least they stay in my ears now!

They'll tide me over until Shure releases their iPhone adapter next month. Does anyone have anymore info on those? I wonder how they'll work with my E4C's long cord.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

You're right! The ones I ordered (from the first source I listed) have shipped and I expect to get them soon. I do like the colors on this site. I may order them as well. I have a lot of apple ear buds (from previous iPods) that don't fit my ears so I could probably use the extras :rolleyes:

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

I use Griffin's Ear Jams with one set of iPod ear buds and they're terrific. Tried them with my iPhone ear buds but they did not fit.

18. macrumors member

You get shipping info on these yet? I ordered them yesterday and I cant even track them yet on the site.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Yep! :cool:

Subject: Shipping confirmation for invoice XXXXXXX
    Date: July 17, 2007 11:54:38 AM EDT
    Thank you for your recent purchase from Eforcity.

Your order XXXXXXX has already been processed and shipped via USPS. Orders usually arrive in 4-14 business days of the ship date, but delivery may take longer in some cases, depending on US Postal Service's delivery schedule. Due to the holiday seasons, your delivery may be slightly delayed by US Postal Service.

The package will be delivered to:

Item Num Description Qty RefNum
    COTHXXXXHSP1 Universal Headset Earbud Pad Set , White 2 N/A

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Oh, if you provided your email address when you placed the order they should contact you by email on your order :rolleyes:

21. macrumors member

Yea I got my e-mail but 4-14 days is a pretty broad range. :mad: Pony Express back in business! Lucky I have patience.

22. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

I think they use that 14 day window so you won't complain about it not being received when promised. Sort of like how restaurants take your name, give you a 30 minute wait estimate then seat you in far less time ;)

Anyway, the postal service seems to be pretty speedy most of the time (well, that's been my experience). I usually receive postal mail or packages within a week when mailed anywhere in the U.S.

23. macrumors 6502a

I got around to buying a set of the JVC Marshmallow earphones, now I just need to take the time to solder them onto the iPhone wires/mic.

24. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

The eforcity ear bud covers just arrived. Three different sizes (small, medium, large) come in each package. First I tried the small but not a good fit. Then I jumped to the large, okay but not the best. Lastly, I tried the medium, better fit and the ear buds stayed in my tiny ear canal. Now, even though they fit and are worth the price I paid they are not as snug as I'd like. I'll keep looking for something that has a more snug fit. Meanwhile I use these. It beats having the buds constantly falling out of my ears.
    Griffin's Ear Jams were PERFECT with my iPod ear buds but don't fit the ear buds for the iPhone. I'd love to find something similar to Griffin's Ear Jams for the iPhone buds. I'll keep looking. ;)

25. thread starter macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Eagerly awaiting your review :rolleyes: I would like to try these next. I noticed that they come in different sizes. I'd have no clue which size to order. Fortunately the ones I received today included 3 sizes so I could try them all for the best fit.