iPhone 'Hello World' Application

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by maknik, Jul 19, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

The folks over at the iPhone hacking wiki seem to be announcing a working toolchain and a "hello world" app running on the iPhone, thanks to the work of Patrick Walton aka Nightwatch. You can head over there if you have the url for more details, but so far there doesn't seem to be a screen shot or source code, though they do give some instructions.

2. macrumors 604

mcdj

It's exciting, sort of, but it's also kinda sad. Had Apple designed the thing to run 3rd party apps to begin with, all this programming effort could have been spent on developing real apps instead of 320x480 web pages. And I, as I'm sure is true for others, won't be installing any hacks/apps until my warranty is up.

3. macrumors bot

MacRumors

iPhone 'Hello World' Application

[​IMG]

iPhone hacking efforts have been ongoing, but early efforts have provided only a few practical uses (custom ringtones), but one big news item from the community is the first proof-of-concept "Hello World" application has been compiled and launched on the iPhone.
    No sample code or development tools are yet available, but this may pave the way to future 3rd party iPhone applications. There has been some hope/rumors that Apple may eventually launch their own official SDK, but for now, Apple is sticking to the Web 2.0 development plan and hosting iPhone Tech Talks in major cities to help developers with their iPhone web-applications.

Article Link

4. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

I wonder when Apple will provide a real SDK, and open it up?

http://www.freetheiphone.org/

I liked one commentator who said that Apple's become the fifth orifice due to the policies on locking up the Iphone!

5. macrumors regular

Hopefuly they get apps working fully before European launch. ;p

6. macrumors 68000

Locking down hardware has never been wise.....

This is great news, but it just illustrates the folly of thinking ANYONE can prevent a product from performing some of the functions inherent to the device, by employing artificial restrictions.

I see the guys over at the "doom9" forums just broke the DRM used in Windows media files *again*, and you can bet it won't be the last time it happens either.

Basically, a company like Apple has two choices. Open a computing device (which an iPhone is, at the core of it) so that anyone can program it, or put up barriers that frustrated/devoted enough individuals will keep knocking down - wasting Apple's time and energy to put up firmware updates to fix, over and over - until somebody gets tired of the "cat and mouse game".

7. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

WWDC 08 ;)

8. macrumors regular

firsttube

I have a T-Mobile sim card just itching to get into a hacked iPhone. Keep the good news a-comin!

9. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Apple will either take the "no action" route or the "in your face" route.

The "no action" is a classic Apple move, but do you all remember when people were trying to dual-boot windows on the first Intel Macs? The week after it was cracked Apple came out with Boot Camp. "IN YOUR FACE!"

-Clive

10. macrumors 6502a

Thats CLASSIC!!! Score one for the good guys... DRM is IMnsHO the devil spawn pure and simple...

Hmm we should come up with an alternate acronym for DRM....

Hows about, Doesn't Really Matter :D

Dave

11. macrumors 6502a

how can you score this as negative, hahahahaha

12. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Please.

People rated the "Apple releases iPhone" article as Negative.

-Clive

13. macrumors newbie

14. macrumors 6502a

surely apple will just disable this hack with the next update?

we need to wait until apple allows 3rd party apps otherwise it will be a constant battle.

i also read that the iphone can now be used with other networks, but this will surely be deactivated in an update too?

15. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

*GASP* OMG! :eek:

Scan-DUH-lous! :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502

mozmac

With a kit like this, you really are saying hello to the world. If you can get compiled apps running on the iPhone, you have the Apple world's attention.

17. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Hopefully this will force Apple into releasing the SDK. I suspect they'll have to have a better solution (and perhaps one honest-to-god app) before it happens, though.

18. macrumors regular

Maybe not, I suspect they might take the approach they take with appletv or tivo takes.

As long as the hack doesn't allow the pirating of service (unlocking too) allow it, if it does allow for some kind of pirating of service that "fix' it with an update.

Then there IS the sony approach, of chasing your tail and releasing one fix after another (aka psp).

19. macrumors 65816

I'm sure Apple could, but it's a losing battle for them. The hackers would probably quickly come up with another hack to either reverse or re-enable what they have set-up. Just take a look at all of the firmware updates that Sony has for the PSP, much of those updates were to stop the hacking on the PSP, but often hours later hackers come up with something to reverse/re-enable what the update did.

Personally for me, I think this news is wonderful and hopefully will prove to those naysayers that 3rd party apps can't crash an entire wireless network.

w00master

20. macrumors 6502a

the real question is - how easy/risky is it to add 3rd party apps?

if its a drag and drop or installer solution then it will catch on, otherwise it will be for a select few.

21. macrumors member

YEAH -- give me some way to manage my passwords on the iPhone. Right now I'm using a neat app called SplashID that is a Mac app and a matching Palm app that syncs between my Palm phone and the Mac -- no way I want a web-based app to store all my passwords. I need a native iPhone app that can sync with the Mac to keep my passwords up to date, no matter which device I'm using. Another reason to have it as a local iPhone app is that if you are inside a building with no cell phone coverage and need to look-up a password to access specific sites on your desktop computer, it sure would be handy to have that data local on your iPhone.

Maybe somebody will even come up with a ToDo app for the iPhone that syncs with the ToDo's in iCal -- what a novel idea, eh?

Or, how about an expense report app to keep track of your daily expenses while traveling (even to places without AT&T coverage).

And the list goes on and on of practical LOCAL applications that would be extremely useful on the iPhone to personalize it to a perfect PERSONAL information manager.
    :rolleyes:

22. macrumors newbie

by then original iphone will be a faint memory

:(

23. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

From everything that I've read, the iPhone has some problems with applications. If Apple can't even manage to get their own apps to function without crashes, I really wouldn't want to see how unstable third party apps would make the iPhone. That being said, this is iPhone OS X 1.0. I'm sure that Apple is working on a way to have a better protected app space, so apps can be sandboxed. Once they have that and it's been debugged, I'm sure that Apple will release an official SDK. In the interim, Apple has pointed to Web 2.0, so that they don't look like they're shutting developers out entirely. After all, we all know that Apple doesn't comment on future products... until it does.

Anyone remember what Apple had to say about dual booting Windows on the early Intel Macs, right up until they released BootCamp beta?

24. macrumors regular

Hahhaaanothing... all you guys are clueless. The reason why Treos and Blackberrys tend to be so crash-prone, as other phones with third party apps is... wait for it, wait for it... BECAUSE OF THIRD PARTY APPS!!!

All you people whining for third party apps will then be the same ones who complain when the iPhone becomes an unstable platform, blaming Apple instead of the developers who make crappy applications that make the iPhone unstable.

It's the clueless leading the clueless here sometimes I swear.

25. macrumors 65816

Funny cause the iPhone crashes with 1st party apps.

w00master