iphone housing modification (red).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liquidtrend, Jan 29, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

first, if this is in the wrong section...i apologize.

background:

a couple months ago my iphone became a victim of water damage.
    since i am going to be purchasing a new iphone in the near future, i was very curious about these colored housings that have been popping up on ebay, or websites such as http://www.ecaseshop.com/ (where this shell came from).
    so with nothing to lose, i went ahead and ordered one of these "sets" and applied them to my iphone.

the following is my story, including results, opinions:

i ordered the set in the beginning of the new year. shipped from hong kong, it arrived on my doorstep earlier this afternoon.

[​IMG]

set includes :
    back housing, plastic (metallic looking) bezel, replacement screen, screw driver set, misc. "stuff".

sadly...the screw driver set did not fit. so i used my own screw drivers.
    a handful of parts looked pretty cheap. (as i suspected it would.)

[​IMG]

okay...so after gutting everything out of my iphone, i remembered why i hated taking small electronics apart. those damn little screws...oh i hate them.

[​IMG]

as i put the peices into the new housing...i noticed that not only was the new plastic housing pretty cheap, the interior did not match correctly with the original. for example, a couple sections did not have any holes for screws such as the vibrator.

after rigging the necessary parts together...
    ive got a fully functioning water damaged iphone 3g with a red shell.
    as well as a couple extra screws...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can tell the quality isnt GREAT by the edges with that frayed plastic and paint look.

the outcome is decent. its pretty good plastic. im sure if they took a bit more time in the construction of the housing...it would have had a much better outcome.

because the housing isnt exact as the original...my iphone has a bit of a gap on the right hand side that is an annoyance to me.

maybe some of you guys could have put this thing together better than i could have. but it was a fun little project for me. i didnt have any work to do anyway.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors regular

Private Dirt

It looks girly :p I kid Nice mod! Now I know what to do if i suffer from water damage.