iPhone in Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ethan90, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ethan90 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know Apple can't start selling the iPhone until June because it needs FCC approval - but do you think they might have a sample model in Apple Stores in the coming months for trying out?

2. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

not in the uk thats for sure. Phoned regent street store asking when they would get and iphone in and he said end of the year.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The most they could display in the stores before approval would be a non-working model and some general information, not much more than they can put on the Web really.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Almost certainly not. Until FCC approval is granted the device could be changed. In addition the very few people who have had hands-on time with the device have reported that the software is not yet completed...

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Nope. they may have a nonworking model but outside of trade show demonstration, it's not legal to operate a non-FCC approved device. You can't even turn one on. So it will have to be a nonworking model until the device is FCC approved.

6. thejockof2010 macrumors newbie

Personally i think that the iPhone looks amazing but the only problem is that cingular SUCK i hate them i used to have their service and it was so bad that i left it and went to verizon if they made it for verizon that would be AMAZING but i dont think that will happen anytime soon since they have a contract with cingular but w.e and no i dont think they will have any on display at the apple store until the release

7. ethan90 thread starter macrumors newbie

What, did Steve get special permission to use it during the keynote?

8. NextTuesday macrumors member

^^ Yeah, he said in an interview (MSNBC one, on YouTube) that he has his own iPhone for his own use at home...

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, almost certainly. There are experimental FCC licenses to cover this kind of situation, and those are even allowed to be confidential.