iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by axab2002, Oct 8, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Activate iPhone

This iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID (a*****@gmail.com). Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPhone.
    Activation Help

need help my friend buy this iPhone 5 and he forget to ask the costumer abut the id so need help any way

2. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Um... maybe you or your friend can contact the original owner in costume and have him enter his credentials?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is we have shop and we buy this phone and it was working fin and we discover after update to 7.0.2 and no way to find that costumer

4. macrumors 601

Phil A.

In that case, you're out of luck - there is no way to bypass it without the credentials that it's requesting

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 68020

Not going to happen. Apple's new security methods working very well.

7. macrumors regular

After iOS7, you have to make sure find my iphone is turned off before making the transaction.

8. macrumors regular

If you run a shop that buys phones from questionable sources, you should know better now. Goodluck with your future deals. :)

9. macrumors regular

Since you have the apple id, you can email the person.

10. macrumors 603

Hey, stop using common sense and logic. This is MacRumors, those aren't allowed. :D

11. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

If I remember correctly, the phone shows the email exactly how he typed it with asterisks blocking almost all of it out. So he indeed has no way to reach the previous owner.

12. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Regardless if it doesn't show the full Apple ID, how did "his friend" get the iPhone to begin with? Unless his friend walked up to a random stranger, selling an iPhone on the street, he would gotten a telephone number or email address.

13. macrumors regular

It sounds like this person runs a store of some kind and bought the phone from a customer. Probably a "we pay cash for old phones" kind of place. They should have gotten the customer's contact information, but it's too late for that now.

Chalk this one up to "lesson learned" and don't make this mistake again.

If the original owner does "Erase All Content and Settings" before turning it over to you, that automatically turns off Find My iPhone and Activation Lock.

14. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

This is why I buy directly from Apple or the carrier, to avoid problems like this.

15. macrumors 65816

This thread seems shady, are you sure this is not a stolen product?

16. macrumors regular

Indeed. This is how it works now. Before selling or giving any phone away, the owner MUST delete all content and settings. This not only deletes the phone's contents, but also removes the original owner's Apple ID and password from the firmware and removes the phone from their account. It prevents phones that have been stolen from being reactivated by anyone besides the original owner.

17. macrumors member

This is really great news. Hopefully it does the same thing to the market for hot iPads.

18. macrumors 601

Armen

Did an iPhone thief just get OWN3D by activation lock right here on our forums?

19. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Just admit you stole it you fool

20. macrumors 6502

Or ask his real owner for password. Theres no way to activate it if you stole it. :p

Well done Apple.

21. macrumors regular

Most likely. His posts here are the only ones he's ever made... And if he'd obtained the phone legitimately, he'd know where to go to get the info he needs. I'm betting that yahoo email address is brand new too, and set up just in hopes of finding an answer to his dilemma.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

only talk like woman

for all stopped one every day we by 10-30 used phone and we dill on the street
    and bi fur 2 days i fond that costumer and i ask him abut that id and he say his cos sen do it at how m and he has Ben dead in car accident so now no way to find that id .
    so if any one have a solution say or sheet up

23. macrumors regular

There were reports of wiped IOS7 phones retaining the appleid login, and the account could only be removed by iTunes.

I've done ios6 complete factory wiping, the options seem different on ios7 now.

24. macrumors 6502

Find a piece of paper, put the phone down on top of it.

Without the credentials that's as useful as the phone will ever be to you.

The phone's as 'dead' as the guy you stole it from.

25. macrumors 68040

It would seem to me...if you legitimately obtained the phone, and know the owner, or relative of the owner since he appears to have died, then apple would help the owners family to reset the phone.