Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnPawn

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
If the original owner does "Erase All Content and Settings" before turning it over to you, that automatically turns off Find My iPhone and Activation Lock. There's no need to ask for ID and password.

The issue with this is getting 15 employees to all adhere to this. And in situations where the phone is taken in as loan collateral erasing the content is not desired.

If the phone is not picked up I take ownership of the phone. A lot of the time the customer does not want to cooperate after the fact with giving me their login because they could not afford to get their phone back.

At this point, iPhones taken in on loan I need their Apple login information.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It IS very true. iOS 7 asks for your password to turn off Find My IPhone before performing the erase. Check it yourself.

It does not.

My dad recently sold his iPhone 4. He did 'erase all data etc' and sold it on. He then gets a message from the new owner saying that it's locked to his Apple ID. He had to Erase and remove the device from the icloud website.

Reactions: stevekr

LincolnPawn

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
It does not.

My dad recently sold his iPhone 4. He did 'erase all data etc' and sold it on. He then gets a message from the new owner saying that it's locked to his Apple ID. He had to Erase and remove the device from the icloud website.

This is correct. I have been resetting phones for awhile. It will NOT ask for a password until after the reset is complete. Rendering the phone uselss.

Reactions: stevekr

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
It does not.

This is correct. I have been resetting phones for awhile. It will NOT ask for a password until after the reset is complete. Rendering the phone uselss.

When I traded in my wife and my 4Ss at the Apple store an "Erase All Contents And Settings" was performed on both phones. As soon as "Erase All Contents And Settings" was selected the phones asked for the Apple ID password associated with the phone in order to turn off Find My iPhone. This happened with both phones. I am not sure why this did not happen in your case.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iOS 7 - Erase All Content and Settings will ask you for your Apple ID

(Don't know why ppl don't trust each other here)

Attachments

• 070113_1824_IOSApplicat3.png
    070113_1824_IOSApplicat3.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 348

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
The issue with this is getting 15 employees to all adhere to this. And in situations where the phone is taken in as loan collateral erasing the content is not desired.

If the phone is not picked up I take ownership of the phone. A lot of the time the customer does not want to cooperate after the fact with giving me their login because they could not afford to get their phone back.

Sounds like an employee training and store policy issue.

What's more desirable to your customers? The money they need or the content on the phone that apparently they're willing to hand over anyway? You can tell them to back it up on their computer or iCloud first before giving it to you.

Getting people's Apple ID and password don't mean much because that is easily changed online without the phone anyway.

Last edited:

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
It does not.

Then you guys are running into a major bug that I've not seen and is NOT how Apple intends it to function. I suggest you report it to Apple as a bug instead of insisting it's normal behavior.

Erase All Content and Settings is ALWAYS supposed to ask for your password to disable Find My iPhone before easing anything.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio

Then you have a training issue. It takes only a few sentences and maybe a posted notice to deal with the employees.

Customers only need to be told they need to back up data before handing over phone as it will be erased upon submission. Simple.

Which they can change on another device before they even leave the store... OR go home and lock the device while it's still in your possession.

You realize that Android devices are moving to something similar so you will have to adapt.

nrwoodw

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
Proof it's possible it's not stolen

I really can't stand the insistent know-it-all pricks that just can't believe a device was honestly purchased in poor judgement by someone who was under the impression second hand stores are smart enough not to sell it if it's stolen or inoperable. So I uploaded a picture of the back of an iPod Touch 5 PURCHASED by a friend of mine who came to me for help to get it working. These forums are supposed to be helpful, not make people angrier than they already are. You people must make a fortune in your IT Support day jobs by treating the users as though they are criminals. WOW.

Attachments

• iPod Touch.jpg
    iPod Touch.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 530
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.