iPhone is dying. Help! White Screen!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Dec 8, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Hi. Just wondering if anyone can help me with my iphone that seems to be dying a painful death.

The first sign that something went wrong was when yesterday, the screen slowly faded to white and in the meantime, the phone freezes. But sporadically, it started working again. It wasn't doing it often, but as the day went on, it was increasingly happening more and more often. I tried the hard reset by pressing and holding the button under the screen and the power button simultaneously. It wouldn't resolve the issue at all.

Last night, I plugged the phone in overnight. This morning, I found myself barely being able to boot it up. When I pressed the power button, the Apple logo appears as normal, but then it fails do do anything else. It goes back to turning off. I set up a genius bar appointment, and I'm restoring to factory settings as we speak.

In the meantime, thought I'd ask in case this is a known issue I can resolve easily.

2. macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

What model? What version of iOs? Has the phone suffered any water damage?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

4s
    No water damage.

Restored phone. still happening.

4. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Not a common issue as far as I'm aware. It sounds like a hardware cockup and I predict you'll end up having to get a replacement at the Genius bar.

Tell us how the restore goes, though.
    Don't restore from a backup, just do everything fresh for diagnostic purposes.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have applecare. Do you think they'd replace it for free or will they charge me?

6. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Are you within your 1 year warranty? If so, and they can't find any signs of damage that you've caused (particularly water damage), they'll likely swap you one for free right at the desk.

If you're outside your 1 year warranty, you'll get charged.

7. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

They will replace it for free as long as its within a year of purchase and there is no physical damage, or tripped water sensors. Simple as that.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it as soon as it came out which was about 14 months ago. ARG

9. macrumors 603

blueroom

I think the OoW replacement cost is $200-$250 might be worth checking out.

10. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

They may replace it for free even though its 14 months. Especially if the phone is in excellent condition physically, and the problem u describe is unusual and drastic. If its beat up even a little bit they are going to charge u the 229 OWR. Make an appt and give it a shot. Good luck.

11. macrumors 6502

Did you happen to pay for it with a credit card? If so, you should check with your credit card company. Some credit cards offer automatic extended warranties as a benefit.

12. macrumors 603

thekev

If your warranty has expired, it will cost you something.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes so this is what they offered me... I forgot to ask, do you know if they must take my old phone in order to give me the replacement?

14. macrumors 68020

sviato

Yes

15. macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes. They take your old phone.