iPhone just goes black...stops working..ideas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dougiefresh805, Jan 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2012
    I have had my iPhone 4 since June. Soon after I got it (like three weeks), my iPhone was downloading an app and when the screen went black to lock..the iPhone would not respond to any input. All I saw was a black screen and it wouldn't respond whenever it was plugged into my computer. Luckily someone I knew told me about holding the home button and the lock button at the same time, and the iPhone reset itself. About two weeks ago, it did it again. I think its just something with the apps running in the background and I try to close them out anytime I'm not going to use them for a while. Does any one know why this occurs? Is it a glitch with my phone or in general iOS 5?
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 9, 2008
    This has happened to me on a brand new 4S. It would crash all of a sudden, go to a blank screen, and then 10-20 seconds later it restarts itself. I've tried restoring it to original factory settings and the crash would occur again. So I took it to the Apple store to have it exchanged. The genius bar doesn't know the reason (or wouldn't tell me) and says everything is working fine and to wait for the iOS 5.01 update (at the time 5.01 hadn't been released yet).

I'd say just go get it exchanged for a new one. Those crashes didn't happen on my exchanged 4S.
  3. macrumors member

Oct 14, 2011

I work at a cell phone store and I've seen this multiple times with different iPhone 4/4S. It happens every blue moon. If you feel uncomfortable you can try to swap it. Guaranteed they won't swap it though seeing you can not duplicate the issue.
  4. macrumors 603

Apr 6, 2007
    I have my doubts that swapping it will help anything. There's either an OS bug, or there's an app that's hanging and causing this.

I've had it happen once on my old iPhone 4 and then once again after I upgraded to a 4S, so that didn't change anything. Fortunately it's not too often that it happens.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2012
    Do you really think apple will just give me a new phone? It's still under warranty till June of this year.
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2012
    I got a replacement due to it being under warranty but the new one keeps black screening even with the updated software but it didn't do it for almost a year so worth a shot