Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Seems like Apple is facing stiffer competition and the new phones are lacking in innovation. Certain staff members in the states are also claiming that not many people showed up to their store. Check out the iPhone 7 launch in Denmark below...

Reactions: bliggs

bnahms123

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
assuming that all carriers were overwhelmed with preorders, NO 7 Plus of any strain, no Jet Black of ANY size at any store and apple giving away gift cards to customers they had to turn down bc of short stock...id say this is the biggest release they've had yet

Reactions: MrBukey and BeeGood

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I would echo precisely what bnahms123 said. Within 15 minutes every plus size on every carrier was moved 2-3 weeks out. The Jet Black into November. That could mean two things......bigger than ever demand or Apple didn't have the adequate inventory. We may never know the answer.

But if Apple themselves instructed employees to notify people that there would be zero jet black phones to be had, and zero plus size models to be had.....that would limit the lines and the hype tremendously wouldn't you think?

Reactions: MrBukey

nafizur

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
just because it's not buzzing at the store doesn't mean it's not a successful lauch.

Apple improved their over all launch system and everything is pretty much done online to simply things and having people wait in line.

carriers, customers, vendors, all order online. It's a systematic process.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
You must be watching a different phone launch.

Apple announced no in store availability of any of the newest/highest demand models.
I think they pushed up the launch to take advantage of the bad press regarding Samsung so they weren't able to meet demand. They could also create a buzz by making it seem like it's sold out everywhere. A bunch of companies do it.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Went to my local Apple Store today to get hands on with the new iPhone and to be honest there was a queue outside but a very small one at that, certainly seen bigger ones on other launch days. Anyway got hands on with the jet black version and boy is that thing a finger print magnet! It looked much better on the website than in the flesh but that's very much a personal thing. Overall I just felt very underwhelmed with the whole iPhone, just seems to be the same old iPhone to be honest.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I think they pushed up the launch to take advantage of the bad press regarding Samsung so they weren't able to meet demand. They could also create a buzz by making it seem like it's sold out everywhere. A bunch of companies do it.
So which is it? There is no demand? Or so much demand they can't meet it? I think we're done here.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Not a single shop in Denmark got iPhone 7 Plus here on launch day. And I know that one of the biggest Apple resellers only got 4 of each iPhone 7 (not Plus) model.

People doesn't show up, because they got a message earlier that the shops didn't get the model they wanted..

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
That's not even an Apple Store. That's a 3rd party store equivalent to a RadioShack. That is extremely misleading.

Reactions: MrBukey

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
None of the carrier stores had lines, they had no JBs or pluses either but are full of regular 7s. If this was the 6 the 4.7s would be gone as well as the pluses. But from what I understand unlike other releases no one feels like this is a real upgrade unless they get the new color and the bigger phone. I can walk into any ATT and get a 7 and this Downtown NYC

Reactions: DADDYDC650

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
None of the carrier stores had lines, they had no JBs or pluses either but are full of regular 7s. If this was the 6 the 4.7s would be gone as well as the pluses. But from what I understand unlike other releases no one feels like this is a real upgrade unless they get the new color and the bigger phone. I can walk into any ATT and get a 7 and this Downtown NYC
I know of a lot of people that aren't going to bother upgrading for the same reason. No big improvements, same look for the most part and lack of audio jack.

Reactions: Ezra923

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Exactly DADDYDC650 lmfao freakin name, most ppl i know are waiting they say it feels like an S release. I did upgrade and my reservation is now at 1:30 but i am not rushing out like before ill go before closing time, they said they will hold it

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I know of a lot of people that aren't going to bother upgrading for the same reason. No big improvements, same look for the most part and lack of audio jack.

This basically sums it up. Not as many people have showed up this launch as in the past, granted there's many factors that come into play, but overall I can compare this launch more to that of the 6S than the 6.

I'm one of the ones holding out until next year. 6+ does what I need it to do until then.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple's stock is up 10% this week (it is off a little bit today along with the broader market), so the market disagrees. Of course, we won't know until Apple releases its forecast for the holiday quarter.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Walked into work this morning and there was a line of people similar to Chick Fil A when they give out free sandwiches. Not a busy launch? Chile please

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
It's not busy at stores because Apple doesn't have nearly as much iPhone stock as in years past...
This too. A lot of people wanted the plus model but we (at BBY) have none. We have plenty of the regular 7s but not +s. Right now, inventory for the Plus models (especially jet black) is pretty much strained for all Apple stores and Apple sellers. It sucks too b/c the customer really want that phone but nobody has any to sell

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Apple's stock is up 10% this week (it is off a little bit today along with the broader market), so the market disagrees. Of course, we won't know until Apple releases its forecast for the holiday quarter.

Yeah and Nintendo stock went up like crazy, until people realized Pokémon Go wasn't make by then. I think the sell out and "big launch ever" statements are completely meaningless since we don't know how many phones were actually available. Seems that the quantity was quite more limited this time, even since a week ago in the preorders.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah and Nintendo stock went up like crazy, until people realized Pokémon Go wasn't make by then. I think the sell out and "big launch ever" statements are completely meaningless since we don't know how many phones were actually available. Seems that the quantity was quite more limited this time, even since a week ago in the preorders.
The T-Mobile and Sprint announcements did more to move the stock since they at least gave percentages (though not outright numbers). As I said, we'll find out at the next earnings release.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
While I was out for lunch, I was surprised to see people still waiting in line at the Apple store these days. I figure people that most people that want it launch day would just preorder one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.