iPhone makes sound from speakers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halvard, May 11, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Halvard

From earlier phones I have had, I know that if I have a phone near a speaker and the phone rings or get a text message the speakers will make that weird sound.

But very often when my new iPhone 4 is just laying there it also makes that sound from speakers. (Not the speaker in the iPhone of course).
    And I know that it is my phone and not someone elses, becouse when I move it away from the speaker the volume of the sound gets lower and when I take it close again it gets higher.

What can I do to stop this. And I'm not even running any apps.

2. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you are on 3G it should not make any noise on the surrounding speakers. EDGE or 2G will for sure make the same sound when your phone too close to a speaker. This has been happening for a long time.

Consider it a feature to tell you that your phone has dropped from the 3G network and running on EDGE or 2G

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

But I'm on WiFi

4. macrumors 68020

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Even though you're on wifi, the iPhone is still using the cellular network for calls and SMS messages. I used to use this speaker sound on my old phone (when I was sitting at the desktop) to know I was getting an SMS message before it got to my phone. I felt like a wizard lol.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Yeah, but it also makes sound when nobody gets a message or anyone calls

6. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's is still in contact with the cell tower

7. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Your iPhone, like any other, will "bark" at the closest cell tower on a regular basis even though you are not using it. This sound and the reason it make this sound is a well know fact for years and years. We are not lying to you!:eek: How else would Apple know where you have been the last few days! :eek:

If you want to stop the sound put it in Airplane mode, but then you might as well turn your phone off!:p