iPhone mini / nano

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cepe Indicum, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

Just putting this out there...

Has anyone considered whether or not Apple might bring out a mini or nano version of the iPhone in future months / years...?

The original iPod was highly innovative, fairly expensive, a market-changer and ultimately a market-leader. But in the end, and by Mr Jobs' own admission in the Keynote, the iPod nano is now the world's most popular MP3 player.

Dreaming now, perhaps, but how would people react here if the "one more thing" was an iPhone nano? Not necessarily with a smaller case, but with less features (just a phone?) and therefore less expensive...

Reasons for my thinking... Apple have proved they can do it; they wowed us (or at least some of us :eek: ); they are really only appealing to those who want a smartphone with this iPhone; they have proved the concept of simplification-after-revolution with the iPod range...

Comments?

2. Slipperyskates macrumors newbie

Slipperyskates

Hmmm...

An interesting thought, but I somewhat doubt it. Apple most likely recognizes that the basic cell phone market is pretty saturated, to release something that was just a phone would probably just by swallowed up by the market of millions of identical devices. Besides, they want a product that ties in directly with the "digital lifestyle."

Also, the iPod wasn't exactly simplified after release into the nano. Compare the launch iPod's specs to the current nano's: roughly the same capacity, smaller, photo capability, etc.

Always great to think about future products, though. And I'm dying to see where Apple takes the iPhone.

3. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I was secretly hoping for "just a phone" -- because I knew a phone/ipod would be way over my budget, and I already have a nano. But now that I've seen the iPhone, I can't see how it could NOT have been an iPod as well -- at least for it's debut.

I agree with Slipperyskates in that Apple really needed to have something truly special and unique to stand out from the crowd. However, I can also see a future where the iPhone becomes soooo popular, that people who don't have it will envy the people who do so much -- making a cheaper "just phone" version actually have a chance of doing ok in an oversaturated market, simply because it will be the cool thing to have.

5. bbydon macrumors 6502a

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As long as they don't introduce an iPhone shuffle I think we're OK.

It has no display, only holds 100 numbers and you just have to keep hitting the forward button to skip to the next (random) number when it dials the wrong number.

I all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if they went the other way and introduced a cheap phone module for iPods kinda like the FM module.

B

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I don't usually say this on the forums, but LOL!

I'll agree with slipperyskates that I doubt we'll see more iPhone models in the near future. Once/if the iPhone takes hold, then Apple can start thinking about diversifying its iPhone lineup.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

OK, that was hillarious!!! :D

I seriously doubt the phone module though...

iPhone shuffle - that one will be in my head all night...

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

On the CNBC interview yesterday, Steve Jobs said he would love to sell these iPhones for $100, but they're just more expensive. However, he continued, as the product matures, the price point will come down and, "I don't see why everyone wouldn't want these."

(Even though we could take a safe bet that the tech will trickle down) Jobs pretty much said he's looking forward to making it cheaper. So if they succeed in getting 10x10^6 units sold in '08, I bet he's really hoping to get 5 times that in '09, and then who knows after that.

Their iPhone, touchscreen iPod, and (probably) MacTablet product line should be pretty damn comprehensive by holiday season '08.

My question is, when will the touchscreen tech come in a product under $300?

10. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Who knows?
    It could be quite a few years. Or it could even be next year.
    When the iPod first came out, it was ridiculously expensive -- but it came down in price (while getting more advanced) MUCH quicker than I ever expected. I eventually got one when it hit 3rd generation.

But I don't know if I can wait until even the 2nd. gen for the iPhone. I don't even know how I'm going to afford it, but I'm already thinking about stuff to sell on eBay and extra jobs I can take in order to get the funds by June. Even though I know future generations will probably be even better and a cheaper price... I WANT THIS PHONE!!!!!! And I don't even really need it. Just call me another Apple zombie, I guess...

11. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

you mean the $49 3GS, or an outright purchased phone?

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

BlindMellon, this thread is from over four years ago.

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

A gold star for you sir!! :D :D . Have a wonderful day. :)