Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Craig Berger, an analyst with Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co, reported today that Apple is getting ready to introduce a "lower-cost version" of the iPhone.
"Some call this device the iPhone nano," Berger wrote in a research note. " Whatever one calls it, we believe this device is on its way."
Berger does not expect the product to be ready for a Macworld introduction. The basis for the information is based on "checks" with Apple suppliers. This report adds to a growing number of hints that Apple is preparing what many have labeled an iPhone "Nano" -- a smaller, cheaper version of the current iPhone.

Meanwhile, the analyst also believes that the iPod Shuffle may get even smaller and a cheaper version of the MacBook could also be introduced, possibly in the middle of the 1st quarter of 2009. He does not believe the cheaper MacBook would qualify as a "netbook" -- a market Apple has specifically said they are not interested in pursuing at this time.

Article Link: iPhone (Nano?), Smaller Shuffle and Cheaper MacBook in 2009?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
with all the hype surround the fake iphones we've seen and the case manurfacturers perhaps apple is rushing one to the market to cash in, i highly doubt it though, but only time will tell

the cheaper macbooks, there is a market for them, but it would break out of apples high cost high quality medium volume consumer model so i guess not.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When did Apple ever release cheaper things because of market demand. If you think the iPod price drops were from demand, they're from Apple wanting even more market share.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I can believe a cheaper Macbook. (Just a price drop.) I can believe a cheaper iPhone (just a price drop).

In other words, I can believe Apple will give up some profit in order to grab more market-share in 2009.

I do NOT believe in an iPhone Nano or Netbook any time in the near future.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
How much smaller can a shuffle get? Do they just want you to loose it so you will keep buying more? you still need to be able to press some buttons on the thing.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not sure what a smaller "Nano" would bring to the iPhone market. Making the screen smaller just makes it more difficult to use and it might require software developers to create multiple versions (unless the iPhone's OS already has - or will have with the Nano's release - complete resolution independence for all graphic items, and not just text).

And with AT&T now selling 8GB 3G refurbs for $99, how much cheaper does the iPhone need to be before the pundits will consider it a "success"? I mean the thing is closing on how many millions of sales in six months? Sales, mind you, not just "shipments" to retailers where it sits in a back room collecting dust. ;)

And as for a cheaper notebook, I suppose if MacBook sales crater, they can reduce the price of the basic model.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
And with AT&T now selling 8GB 3G refurbs for $99, how much cheaper does the iPhone need to be before the pundits will consider it a "success"? I mean the thing is closing on how many millions of sales in six months? Sales, mind you, not just "shipments" to retailers where it sits in a back room collecting dust. ;)

Exactly...how much cheaper must apple get? I dont think that we will see prices hit rock bottom from apple. There customer base has soared with the iPhone and if they dont keep gaining them a steady pace I believe it might be a good thing. Maybe focus will shift back toward the MAC.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
How much smaller can a shuffle get? Do they just want you to loose it so you will keep buying more? you still need to be able to press some buttons on the thing.

You'll have the shuffle installed somewhere by a doctor and put music on it via bluetooth! :D

But on a serious note... looks like the 2.1 MacBook will be discontinued.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
The shuffle is an amazingly small and wonderful ipod already...I'm sure it CAN get smaller, I'm just not sure why it would need to be smaller. You need to have room for the headphone jack for sure. Other buttons can be made smaller for sure (see the new Apple in-ear head phones with remote and mic).

For most who just want to "play and go" this type of button would be ok.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I will buy a cheaper plan iPhone. I will buy a 12" PowerBook style notebook.

The 12" PowerBook was the height of Apple design.

Carriers charging premium rates and scamming on the SMS is ridiculous. Apple knows that they could make more money on Apps rather than skimming from AT&T. Get the iPhone into more hands.

thouts

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Small Shuffle

True, you need room for the buttons...but headphone jack...not so sure. I've always wanted an MP3 player like the shuffle, but with bluetooth wireless headphones. And not the large over the ear headphones...but earbuds. People potentially wouldn't even know you had earphones in...is this just me?

uncdwm

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
These rumors are driving me crazy - i just received an iPhone yesterday and can't decide whether i should go ahead and open/activate it or leave it shrinkwrapped until after MacWorld.

I would hate for them to announce a nano or price drop or capacity increase and have waited two years to buy an iPhone and finally open mine just a week before they do a new one. Not sure what not opening the shrinkwrap would accomplish though since I am within 30days and if I'd still be subject to the restocking fee.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I am getting so sick and tired of NETBOOK this and NETBOOK that.

I've looked at some of the PC netbooks out there. I would never want to own one. Most of them have smaller screens than our 13" widescreen format. the keyboards are slightly smaller and the processors are crippled to the point that my iPhone is actually faster than them.

If you need to surf the internet and check email get an iPhone.
If you need to work on miniscule crap like Word/Excel and do the same old internet crap than get yourself the cheapest MacBook.

We do not need a Netbook in the MacBook family.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
These rumors are driving me crazy - i just received an iPhone yesterday and can't decide whether i should go ahead and open/activate it or leave it shrinkwrapped until after MacWorld.

I would hate for them to announce a nano or price drop or capacity increase and have waited two years to buy an iPhone and finally open mine just a week before they do a new one. Not sure what not opening the shrinkwrap would accomplish though since I am within 30days and if I'd still be subject to the restocking fee.

Huh? Isn't that iPhone already activated?????
The 3G's are not like the originals.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
The new shuffle doesn't need buttons at all. It could use the new headphones and the little clicker on it to advance the songs or play/pause/stop.

Having said that, I think the shuffle is perfect as it is, but I know they need to update it to boost sales.

Please, make the new ones in black!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The cool thing about my first generation shuffle is that I don't need to bring a cord with me when I plug into my MacBook. I hate cables.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Looks like the end of the line for the white MacBook. I will shed a tear.

But, if that means the current Unibody MacBook gets cheaper, then I can hope for a model that has FireWire in the $1200 price range.

And I still think there will be a cheaper iPhone, and rumors point to the Nano. Redo the original iPhone (remove the GPS chip and 3G) with a smaller size, and people would buy it.

As for the Shuffle getting smaller.... might as well just make earbuds that you can directly connect to your computer, because that seems to be where Apple wants to take us.

uncdwm

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
Huh? Isn't that iPhone already activated?????
The 3G's are not like the originals.

well it arrived and is shrink-wrapped and says i have to call an AT&T number to activate it then plug it into itunes to register it. it is already associated with my number and i purchased it via AT&T as an upgrade.

i think the return policy is 30 days and a 10% restocking fee for apple products if in "like new" condition. but mine right now is not yet fully activated and is unopened/shrink wrapped. i was thinking it might be easier to take to a store as an exchange if a new product was announced if it is still shrinkwrapped or maybe i could avoid the restocking fee but then again maybe not. i should have just waited a week to buy it but completely forgot about upcoming macworld and ordered it on christmas.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
one day the shuffles are gonna get so small, you wont be able to see it.

Just shove it in your ear. No need for headphones anymore.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The Air was a flop like the Cube, but it allowed them to experiment with different manufacturing techniques to make the unibody MacBooks and the Mac mini.

I can't wait for a sub-notebook like the 12" PowerBook.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
No way the nano iphones will be cheaper than the regular iphones!
The only macbook that will get cheaper is the white macbook
799 anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.