iPhone not at Macworld Expo San Francisco 2007?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TheAge.com.au reports on one analysts expectations that the iPhone will not see commercial launch until late 1st Quarter or early 2nd Quarter of 2007.

While they point to this as a "delay" in the iPhone release, readers should remember that most rumors to date have simply pointed to production of the iPhone in the "first half of 2007".

A report that Hon Hai had won the iPhone contract sparked much of the iPhone anticipation - but that report only pointed to a release in the first half of 2007. The only rumor specifically pointing to a January release has been the podcast comments by Kevin Rose.

Meanwhile, other analysts have primarily described a ramp up of production of the iPhone.

Macworld Expo 2007 kicks off on January 8th with a Keynote speech from Steve Jobs. As always, MacRumors.com will provide live coverage of the event.

2. macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm ready when Apple is for this phone!!! :D Cash is in the bank and waiting....

3. macrumors regular

Better late than never - and if it's late it had better be good, but then again with apple/Jobs what else would it be?

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'll be ready also. hopefully sooner than later......i guess we'll see soon enough

5. macrumors 65816

Though I'm looking forward to the iPhone I voted positive for this thread because that leaves room for something else to be the "one more thing" at Macworld 2007. Like a low-end Mac Pro, etc.

6. macrumors regular

MrFirework

7. macrumors regular

Good Point! :D :D

hope its a 40gb HDD/Flash hybrid ipod with video.

8. macrumors newbie

this iphone had better show up.
    i've been holding out on a new phone for awhile now.

9. macrumors regular

MacSamurai

hmm usually phones that stay in the works for too long come out bad.Lets just hope with the extra time they add, they keep up to date.

10. macrumors 6502

Macula

Come on, guys! Isn't it obvious? We are not going to see the iPhone anytime before Leopard... If the iPhone is to succeed it will need to offer innovation and integration that Tiger is not ready to provide... Hold the line until April/May, then!

(In the meantime, Apple, it's high time you gave us:
    - a full-sized Tablet Mac
    - Santa Rosa/NAND-equipped iMacs and laptops
    - Macbook with a serious graphics chipset)

:mad:

:cool:

11. macrumors regular

i hope it's may - than i have something to spend my B-day cash on! :) :) :)

12. macrumors regular

i agree that apple needs to get a phone to market quickly. i keep seeing ads for pretty cool looking (cool looking to the average consumer) phones with all kinds of bells and whistles.

but 1. apple will and should wait until the phone is of a quality to capture the market as the did with the ipod. 2. macworld only has room for one really big new piece of hardware, ie "one more thing."

i think, while already previewed, the one more thing this time around will be iTV. time will tell.

~kyle

13. macrumors regular

I am one of the sorry souls with a Verizon raped Razr, so I know what cell phone hatred is about. I love the prospect of an Apple phone that works well and looks good doing it, but I can't shake the feeling that cell service predators, I mean providers, will do everything in their power to ruin the user experience. I hope I'm wrong.

14. macrumors 601

Diatribe

For the same reason you mentioned there will be no Santa Rosa/NAND equipped Macs until Leopard is out. I don't think there will be a Tiger update for this.

15. macrumors 65816

YES! Especially the third point! Apple, put a real GPU in the freekin Macbook already!

16. macrumors regular

lol - well spotted

17. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

18. macrumors regular

Maestro64

My perdiction is that if this is a real product, Steve will show off something in January to get everyone excited and over a period of 6 months roll the product out to the service providers. In the cell phone industry phones are always pre anounced to build demand then over time those phones come available at the provider stores. There is no way apple can coordinated all the providers to offer the phone at the same time. They have promotions already set up with other manufactures that they must let run the course.

Not to say that you will not be able to pull your SIM card from you current phone and plug it into a nice new white iphone when they are available. but providers these days can block any phone from working on their network if they do not recognize the model.

With a risk as big as this and having to deal with all the providers to make it work I doublt apple will build millions of them and have the retail channel full when they make the announcement. I bet it rolls out slowly.

19. macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It would be great if Steve just took a phone call on the iPhone and didn't say anything about it, just used it and put it back in his jeans. That would create some buzz.

20. macrumors regular

that makes sense - he'll say it exists and then the hype will begin...

21. macrumors P6

Peace

Keep in mind Jobs showed the iTV before its release come January.I'm guessing we see the iPhone at MacWorld with shipment mid March.

22. macrumors newbie

OMG... my old phone is only going to last so long!!! AHHH!!

23. macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'd love to see this happen as well! I'm not counting on it though.

C'mon Steve, surprise me, ok? :p

24. macrumors regular

I'm a geek

What does it say about me that I'm looking forward to the MacWorld keynote more than I am to Christmas!

-John

25. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never gonna get it!

Read this like you were singing that R&B song by En Vogue in '92..... 'Cause that's what you gonna get! NUTHIN!

Come on folks, how long have we been hearing about the "iPhone"??? Too long for anything to be considered concrete. Why would Apple come into the cell phone market? There are no glaring problems with the market like there was with the mp3 market in 2000-2001. Companies that have tried to be super innovative with their phones have had their products end up like the Cube. Anyone remember NGAGE???? That was a Nokia product.

If Nokia couldn't make something work in their own industry what does Apple really think they can bring to the table? The ONLY thing that could work is an iChat feature where you can also connect to AIM and iChat accounts on home computers through the phone.