iPhone not deleting old contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sv2, Dec 14, 2012.

1. sv2
    macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2008

I have an iPhone 4S, and I've run into a problem. I've deleted a few of my contacts off my contacts list, yet when I enter the "new message" section, their names + phone numbers still appear. However, if I write their names into the "Search iPhone" field, they do not appear since I deleted them.

How do I delete the old contacts off my phone for good? I found nothing about it in the Settings/ Mail, Contacts, Calendars section.
  2. sv2
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2008
    700 views and nobody has had this issue? Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Anyway, you can see in my contacts that I only have 1 contact for the letter C.

Yet when I go to write a new message, a whole bunch of contacts I previously had (which I have since deleted) still appear.

So how do I solve this?
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2012
    brownsville pa
    i'm having the same problem.. have you figured out what was causing it?? let me know please if you have.
  4. sv2
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2008
    Yes, I was able to fix it. What I did was just format my iphone to erase everything, than re-sync it to itunes + get my contacts back (not recover from a backup).

Hope that helps.
  5. macrumors member

Jan 1, 2012
    if you are jailbroken, then u can easily delete the contact list by going into var/mobile/library/addressbook.