Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shazamma

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Changed the language for the phone

I had the same symptoms described and I've tried many of the suggestions without success. Just for the heck of it (out of desperation) I changed the iPhone language to French, then back to English, now the names are matched with numbers just like before.
Go to Settings > General > International > Language, select a language other than English, I chose French. Click Done. The display will go blank with the pinwheel spinning and come back with French headings, labels, etc. Go back to Language and select English, click Done. When I did this the screen went blank again but the pinwheel stalled for a little while, it made me nervous but when the display came back all was working fine.
I have a vague memory of getting a message about roaming last week, I was just driving out in a rural area. I've never been anywhere I had to deal with roaming so the message was unfamiliar to me. I don't even remember how I responded to the message, I just thought it was a fluke because I was out in the country and maybe I just entered a dead zone. Around that time last week the name matching problem started, I don't know how or if there is a connection between the two events.
Good Luck.

foneadvisor

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Solution to contact and text messages issue with iphone users

I'm having a new issue that is very odd. When my wife (and certain other contacts in my address book) call me, the iPhone displays their phone number instead of their name. Obviously, it should display the name since the phone number that is calling is a known number.

If I call out from address book, it shows the name. This problem is only for incoming calls, and then only certain ones.

I have an original iPhone with the latest software update.

Any ideas?

guys have got a sure shot solution for contacts and text message issues for iphone users. please visit the below mentioned link and pls do leave a feedback if it helps u.

http://foneadvisor.blogspot.in/

Alexx664

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Easy fix...you need to add your contacts numbers twice one how you usually dial (xxx)xxx-xxxx the other one with your country code i live in mexico so i had to put in +52(xxx)xxx-xxxx and now you will see your contacts name when they dail and text.....THIS WILL WORK BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT ALL YOUR NUMBERS TWICE :/

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Easy fix...you need to add your contacts numbers twice one how you usually dial (xxx)xxx-xxxx the other one with your country code i live in mexico so i had to put in +52(xxx)xxx-xxxx and now you will see your contacts name when they dail and text.....THIS WILL WORK BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT ALL YOUR NUMBERS TWICE :/

except for jailbreaking, this is the only option I have. Very annoying.

MSKirby42

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
East coast
On iOS 12.1 go under General > Language & Regional > Region> then click on any random country besides US. Click on the Done and it will update region. Once the region has changed then go back and clicked United States. After the settings change go back and check you contact info. Hope you found Happiness!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.