iPad mini iPhone only apps on iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by legasafe, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

This isn't a complaint, more of a check to make sure it isn't just my iPad..

iPhone only apps seem to render particularly badly on the iPad mini, as in they are heavily pixilated. When I run the same apps on my iPad 3rd Gen sure everything is oversized and not quite retina quality but still extremely crisp.

I know the display isn't retina on the mini but iPad apps only look slightly worse, when opening an iPhone only app there is a drastic jump in quality - is anybody else noticing this / have some science behind why it might be?

Thanks!!

2. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

On the old iPad 1 and 2 was the same ... iPhone apps looks bad. The iPad 3 & 4 have enough pixel (and power) to do some antialiasing/rendering which smoother the border of fonts. Looks actually very useful.
    My favorite example is speedtest.net. Looks really nice on retina and really not nice on earlier model (just blow up each pixel)

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not noticed anything going from my iPad-1 to my mini running iPhone apps

4. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Yeah, thankfully there's a jailbreak app that will take care of it for us once our Mini gets to join in on the fun.

5. macrumors 68000

The iPad 1 & 2 use the non-retina version of iPhone apps.

The iPad 3 & 4 use the retina version of iPhone apps.

----------

There's no antialiasing/rendering going on. It's just running the higher resolution version of the app. :)

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, that explains it. Thanks everyone!

7. macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm hoping instagram now decides to make an iPad app since it looks awful on the mini

8. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

They do it's called Instapad.

9. macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

whoa that's hideous