Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clark46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Hi,

I am looking up to change my cell phone from Nokia E75 to either an Android based budget phone or an iPhone 3G s. I have heard that Android applications tend to "hang" and iPhone has much more applications than Android. Please suggest what should I opt for?

Thanks

ImpKali

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
Depending on your carrier, you may be able to get the iPhone 4S for a reasonable price since the next generation is about to be announced late in June, and I know some carriers are selling the Samsung Galaxy S3 for as low as 80$. I can't honestly recommend in good faith buying a 3GS; it's really an old device that can barely handle the latest iteration of iOS. It's best to shill out a little extra for a device that will be able to handle modern tasks.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Hi,

I am looking up to change my cell phone from Nokia E75 to either an Android based budget phone or an iPhone 3G s. I have heard that Android applications tend to "hang" and iPhone has much more applications than Android. Please suggest what should I opt for?

Thanks

Being on macrumors you will mostly get suggestions to get a iphone. If your on an android forum it will be mainly android handsets.

My suggestion really is go into a store and try out both handsets and really see what you feel comfortable with. I would say go for an iPhone that's because that's what I have always used. End of the day it's what you feel more comfortable with.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Please suggest what should I opt for?
Your OP really doesn't tell us enough to recommend anything. Selecting a device is about finding the option that suits you best. If Android or IOS was universally better then everyone would use one and not the other. Have you tried any Android and IOS devices? Nothing beats first hand experience for assessing these things. A good portion of the decision process is determining what you prefer and no one can tell you that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Both will be slow and laggy if you are comparing an iPhone 3GS and a Android budget phone.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Hi,

Both iOS and Android apps can crash. Android and iOS handles these crashes differently.

When an iOS app crashes, iOS tries to hide the fact that an app crashed. It will just take you back to the home screen and give no indication to the user that the app crashed. It may give the impression that the user pressed the wrong button and exited the app.

When an Android app crashes, Android tells the user that an app crashed. There will be a screen that pops up saying what app crashed. The user will then get the opportunity to send system information to the developer and add some comments about what happened prior to the crash.

As for what phone you should get, I would recommend you go to a phone store and try out various phones to see which one you like. Both Android and iPhones do more or less the same basic things. With regard to apps, there may be apps exclusive to one OS that is not available on the other. For most of what you may want to do, I don't think you will have an issue with either OS in terms of apps.

There are so many things that smartphones can do that hardly anyone uses the full potential of one. They are definitely more capable than your Nokia E75. Can you tell us why you want to get a smartphone? Are there things you really want to do on your phone that you cannot do on your current phone? Other than basic calling and texting, many people use smartphones for surfing the web, social networking, gaming and music.

ellawilliam3

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I prefer android over apple for the reason that its open-source, that means that the majority of the apps are free, and you get more revolutionary and cutting edge apps.
the android market already has 250000 apps- closing in on apple 500000, some say it will surpass it before the year is over.

security
both Iphone and android offer equal security, though they have different means of doing it.
iphone, verifies all the apps so you cant get a virus through an app, but the rest of the phone is semi-vulnerable.
android, does not check the apps,but the apps are run in a isolated way, as to not effect the system in event of a virus.
so both phones are equally prone to viruses (and if this a big deal for you, android has a antivirus app, which iphone does not)

other reasons for android
turn-by-turn GPS
better and larger screen
no need to connect to computer to sync
heres a big one, add a sd card
better calls
more customizable
more powerful hardware
flash support, watch ALL the online videos

Also apple never invents anything, all they do is steal old technology, give it a fresh coat of paint and mass advertise it as “magical” and “innovating”, thus fooling the mass of the population into believing that apple offers cutting edge technology, that in fact has been around for quite a few years.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
other reasons for android
turn-by-turn GPS This exists on both platforms
better and larger screen
no need to connect to computer to sync Don't need to sync to PC for over a year
heres a big one, add a sd card Android OS != SD card
better calls Subjective, call quality on my iPhone 5 is much better than my Nexus 4, but then again it is matching Verizon against T-Mo
more customizable
more powerful hardware
flash support, watch ALL the online videos

LOL:

Also apple never invents anything, all they do is steal old technology, give it a fresh coat of paint and mass advertise it as “magical” and “innovating”, thus fooling the mass of the population into believing that apple offers cutting edge technology, that in fact has been around for quite a few years.

I'm smart for not reading the entire post first :D

i.e. you got me =(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.