iPhone Overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmayer21, Mar 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey, my iPhone won't charge, and I think it needs to be restored. However when I try to restore it I get the error message, "unknown error occured." It will not turn on, or charge. When I try to charge it, it gets really hot. Anybody know whats up? thanks

2. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

Why worry about what's wrong with it. Just return it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do that?

4. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

If it's broken then yes you can. That's the whole point of warranties :)

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize this is going to sound completely ridiculous...but do I have a warranty?

6. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

Ask apple and they'll tell you :)

7. macrumors newbie

Return

Even if you don't have a warranty, you might be able to talk them into replacing it. Most states have adopted the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) which is a collection of statutes relating to buying and selling goods. It says that a "non-conforming" good may be returned within a "reasonable time." The buyer can get his money back, store credit, or a replacement AT HIS DISCRETION. A "reasonable time" is usually defined by the law of the state you're in, but you could just make the argument that it's "reasonable" to expect your $400 phone to work for more than a few months. It's worth a shot.

Yes, I am a lawyer.

8. macrumors regular

Take it to an apple store if it keeps heating up, but to restore it turn the phone off, and then while holding the home button connect your phone into itunes, and then you can restore it there.

9. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

All Apple products have a minimum 1 year warranty that covers hardware defects. For about $60 you can extend that to 2 years (from date of purchase). This entitles you to get your phone replaced for restored for nearly any reason.

TEG