iPhone - Poor ergonomics

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by siiip5, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502

I have bought every generation of iPhone, but it wasn't until I bought the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2, that I realized how poor the iPhone's design/ergonomics were.

Here are some ergonomic issues:

1. Two handed use sucks. Impossible to use with two-hands in most instances, like FPS games.
    2. Placement of power button is awful. When I pick the phone up, my thumb is naturally on the side, exactly where the power button is on the S3. iphone's placement on the top was because they were lazy and just copied the ipod.
    3. The volume buttons are too small and too easily pushed. I have pushed the volume up button, when I meant to hit the volume down button. You have to look to see which button is which. If there was a long rocker arm, you would always know if you were hitting volume up or down.
    4. The single home button, with no 'back' or 'menu' buttons on the left and right of the physical home button is not a good idea. You have to constantly hit the home button over and over again, just to do simple tasks, like close apps or get into another app.
    5. No way to take off the back cover and remove the battery in order to use an SD card or multiple SIM cards, so I can easily move large multi-gigabytes of data from a computer to my phone.
    6. Hold switch is badly built. often fails and falls off. a physical hold button isn't needed.
    7. No notification light or way to silently give you visual notifications.

iPhone is simply too tiny, but good if you are a small person with small hands. Bigger phones by Android and WP's are just better sized.

2. macrumors 6502a

Lol. Come on dude.:D

3. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

1. Not true or just personal preference.
    2. Personal preference and the phone isn't exactly that big or tall that you can't easily reach it like on some android phones.
    3. Small, yeah a bit but definitely not easily pushed.
    4. Agreed.
    5. How is this related to ergonomics? :p
    6. Hold switch? What is that?
    7. refer to number 5

Be honest, did you start this thread because of the Galaxy Note 2 - poor ergonomics thread? :p

4. macrumors 68040

F123D

I found the sharp edges of the iPhone unpleasant and doesn't conform well in the hand. Often times, its difficult to pick up when laying on a flat surface as well.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 6502a

Can't decide which thread is more ridiculous.

The guy who is upset he can't use a 5.5 screen in one hand. Or the OP who's upset about the guys who upset. :p

7. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

My 4S is unpleasant in one hand, much worse with a case. The 5 would be better for me. I don't exactly have pianist hands.

8. macrumors 6502a

Yeah but that guy was actually serious.

9. macrumors regular

If Steve Jobs knew what I was doing with my other hand he never would have allowed one handed operation to happen.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, at least I tried to make it look serious. Although I was shooting for ridiculous as well. :D

11. macrumors regular

Seriously though, power button in the top is a pain.

12. macrumors 65816

Seriously, what with iphone soft back button has to be placed at the top left corner.
    Wait...iphone is designed from the ground up :rolleyes: to be used two-handed.

13. macrumors 601

The phone is ridiculously easy to pick up and hold. So much so that I've never given it a second thought.

In two threads I've read that the phone is hard to pick up, and that it's hard to type on the iPhone because you have to keep lifting your thumbs up. Honestly, what kind of sub-humans are posting this tosh?

I get the feeling you're criticising for the heck of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.