iPhone Price Cuts: Free 3GS from Best Buy and $99 iPhone 4 from Telus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

As the iPhone 5 gets closer to release, resellers are starting to offer reduced pricing on older iPhones.

Canadian carrier Telus is offering the iPhone 4 for CAD$99 with a 3-year plan. The Telus deal runs through September 7.

We are also hearing that Best Buy will be offering the 3GS for free with a 2-year plan on August 22 as part of a larger promotion. Best Buy has done this particular promotion in the past, as well.

Article Link: iPhone Price Cuts: Free 3GS from Best Buy and $99 iPhone 4 from Telus
  2. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    Really sucks for canadians that they have 3 year plans.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    Wow a 3 year plan, I hate one-year plans, I couldn't imagine being tied in for that long. This doesn't even sound like an eye-catching deal!
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2008
    Canadian carriers really need to push these deals on 2-year contracts, considering the phones retail for the same price in the US and the contract deals are also the same value, but US has 2-year standard while Canadians do 3 (so we pay 50% more for subsidized phones).
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 5, 2010
  6. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2010
    3 year plans suck ass. I don't get why we have to be locked in for so long for more money and less services then most us carriers. Greed is all I can say.
  7. macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2011
    There's that Sept. 7th date again ;)

Also I agree that Canadian customers really get screwed by the "Big 3" in Canada (Telus, Rogers and Bell). There's very little competition, although new carriers like Wind Mobile have recently arrived. But they don't offer the iPhone and have very limited coverage.
  8. macrumors 68030

Dec 14, 2009
    Don't you mean Oct. 7th? I think that's the date being thrown around as iPhone 5's potential release.
  9. macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2011
    Could be my mistake. I thought there was a rumour that Apple would be hosting a special event on Sept. 7th, but it's easy to get confused with all the multiple rumours floating around. Also I suppose they would've announced it by now if they were going to hold an event that soon.
  10. macrumors 68030

Dec 14, 2009
    Oh okay, no you're right. That, I believe, was the rumored date for their iPod event. I feel like it was squashed though and we're back to not being sure.

Either way, I'm probably going to get my father a 3GS on the 22nd thanks to BB.
  11. macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2010
    Holly Michigan
    I really hate to be in a 2 year contract. I could not imagine 3 years. ouch!
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    This is one of those instances to say "quit bitching because people have it worse somewhere else" lol. My friends in Canada told me that 3 year plans aren't standard. They've gotten 1, 2, and 3 year plans. Just your choice. Perhaps my friends are idiots though ;)
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2011
    and once the next iPhone is released the 4 will be free like the 3GS :rolleyes:
  14. macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2009
    How much would it suck to be stuck with a 3GS until fall 2013? I'm sure Apple will stop supporting it with iOS updates long before then.

Edit: I suppose if the phone was free then it wouldn't hurt quite so much to buy a newer one before the end of the contract. But still, how many people who buy phones free-on-contract are likely to pay extra to upgrade mid-cycle?
  15. macrumors member

Jun 7, 2010
    Nobody likes 2 year contract except for carriers, but it is a way to get a big discount on phone price. It's like you buy a car or house. You pay a small down payment and then pay monthly loan for 2 years.
  16. macrumors newbie

May 28, 2009
    Thr.....three years?! My 2.2 year old 3GS barely chugs through the day. My 1.7 year old Edge iPhone that the 3GS replaced had a ton of gray hairs on its last day too. But *three* years stuck with one of these?? Are Canada's telecoms simply bulletproof against market forces and consumer desires?
  17. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    Don't worry, it won't be long before AT&T "streamlines" their contracts to 3 years.
  18. macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    Montreal (Canada)
    You can always choose no-contract, 1 year or 2 years if you want. The only difference is the price you pay for the phone. I could pay 700$ upfront for the iPhone 4 without any contract if I wanted.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2005
    LOL. So here we are lamenting at the woeful state of Canada when in fact they have MORE choice! In the US, we're basically forced to choose unlocked or 2 year contract. They have two more options.
  20. macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah I won't be doing a 3-year term ever again if I can help it... the second half is pretty painful :p 2-year deal should give plenty of time for LTE rollout in more cities up here, and there will be a couple of LTE iPhone models by then (I hope...).

2 year plan on a cheap iPhone 4 or 2 year plan could be tempting, but this new 4S/5 this fall could be tempting as well...
  21. LxHunter, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2010
    I am with a Canadian carrier.
    I pay $50 per month for unlimited Canada/US voice and text.
    Will be eligible for a hardware upgrade this December, year 2 of a 3 year contract.

I pay 1/2 the quoted rate for data because the 3G in downtown Toronto is horrible and the carrier agrees with me.
  22. Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    Don't like 2 or more year plans? Stop signing up for them!

Seriously, the only people who can change this outrageous behaviour by carriers is consumers.

Canadians already have 3 year plans. Before we know it, they will be standard across the globe and some plans will last 5 years. You don't even have some personal relationships for that length of time, so why tie yourself to some faceless corporation for that period?
  23. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2009
    But but, Iphones arent sold for discount like android phones are... they are too good for that :rolleyes:
  24. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2010
  25. macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2010
    New Cap City
    We pay more for the phones too. The 16 gb phone is $10 more from the Canadian Apple Store, and the 32 gb is $30 more. On top of that The Canadian Dollar is stonger than the US Dollar right now too.

Just another tax we have to pay to be Canadian.

Who is your Carrier? Bell, Telus, Rogers?

How much is your data plan?

Are you using an iphone or something else?