iPhone Price Drop (Steve Jobs Speaks with CNBC)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texas04, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Around the 4:50 mark Steve Jobs actually said that "as the years go on, and we are able to bring the price down, I don't see why everyone wouldn't want one".

I thought this was a very BIG thing for Jobs to say...

EDIT: Didnt notice i posted wrong link.. looking for interview (it was a news story)
    Edit 2: Link posted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mY4EIS82Jw

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Economies of scale are true of any product that catches on. It was true of the TV, the VCR, DVD players, the original 128K Macintosh and the 5 GB iPod. It will be true of the iPhone too if enough people buy the early models.

3. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

i'll be interested the moment you can get one without being bound to cingular. absolutely worthless cell phone provider. "least dropped calls of any network"... yeah, the trick is getting the call to go through in the first place.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That does seem to be the way they get to the "fewest dropped calls" stage: prevent the network from being overloaded by not allowing connections once it nears capacity. No better than getting to make a short call and then getting dropped, really.

And to the OP, yes, it's obvious that the price will come down. Everything does. Of course, the original iPod was around the same price as the top models today, but it held less than some that are cheaper, and was significantly less technology than any that are out today (except arguably the Shuffle). I'd look for it to drop $100 to $200 within the first year or two.

jW

5. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

2001 iPod-------2006 iPod
    $399-------------$249
    5 GB-------------30GB
    10 hr battery-----14 hrs

Hopefully the iPhone will see more dramatic drops in price and increase in battery life and capacity.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    why do people rag on certain providers? do you not realise that every provider is terrible in certain places? and yes, some are "great" being that they are the only ones that work in other areas...as far as i'm concerned, they're all worthless, and should be much much better than they are, but they don't need to be as the general public are all about the "cool features". personally, i want a phone that makes phone calls, i could care less about whether i can access myspace from it.

back on topic, of course it'll come down in price, it's technology, it'll get better, maybe smaller, and also cheaper...that's what happens in the computer/tech world.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

I think the difference becomes slightly more dramatic if you upgrade to the TOTL model and consider the additional features.

2001 iPod-------2006 iPod
    5GB-------------80GB
    10 hr------------20 hr
    monochrome---color
    music-----------music, photos, video
    $399------------$349

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Around what mark? And are you watching the iPhone Introduction stream or the entire keynote stream? I couldn't find anything like that around the 5-minute-mark of either.

9. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Sorry.. I copy pasted the wrong link.. the link is now updated at the top. Thank you for saying something :eek:

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

he looked kind of pissed when the guy asked about the options backdating...

11. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Actually, my iPod 2nd generation, 20Gb was € 649,-. Quite an expensive gadget but I loved it :) I still do actually ;)

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, everybody know after 5 years, price will drop, lol, meaningless. u won't wait 5 years for that.

13. gavd macrumors 6502a

Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary to me. Products like this will always get better specs / cheaper over time.

14. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Over time but the way he said it sounded like he wanted to do it as soon as possible.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, thats business marketing, Jobs didn't lie, he just simply trick u, price drop? sure, but sorry, actually he can't control the price, price drop have to wait until hardware price drop, which is ...

predicable, but, uncontrollable.

16. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Of course the price will drop after a few years!

That will be the time you want to sell your model and buy a new one. The one you have will be worth squat.

Welcome to Apple.*

*I love Apple, but...

17. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Perhaps people missed one important point that was made during the Keynote.

"...there is a lot of custome silicon in here..."

The cost of designing custom chips really drives the price up. But if you an use that chip in lots of devices economy of scale kicks in. So IF Apple can acheive those big sales they are after by the end of 2008, then they will be in a position to slash proces.

Of course, SJ talked about 1% market share of the entire phone market, but what the iPhone is pitched at is the smartphone market, which is a much smaller chunk - 0.1% more like. Apple HAVE to get the price way down if they want that 1%...

18. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

that is the most accurate complaint against cingular i have read on the forums yet... i have the exact same sentiment...

its like you can't make a call unless you have full signal, so of course calls aren't dropping...

anywho... not trying to fire up a cingular debate, just wanted to validate the post.

19. California macrumors 68040

California

I can't understand what you are saying because of punctuation/spelling errors. What?

20. California macrumors 68040

California

I've had cingular and the only trick I know is that during rush hour high call times -- you have to dial even your OWN area code prefix to dial in the same area code. Otherwise, busy circuits. But other providers have same problem, especially in LA with the mountains, etc. No way around geographical limitations, so who cares?

21. gmoney23 macrumors newbie

Are you guys really going to be able to wait a full year before the prices drop? I'm defintetely not. They also probably won't come out with a new model for a year, which will be cheaper, so I'm guessing that people will buy this expensive model and later but a cheaper better model in a year.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats how it works..pay more to get it sooner.

Video game system can never meet demands on launch, yet with in 2 year the price will drop for sure. With in 5 years the price can drop up to 66%

Not expecting a 66% drop in the iPhone...more like a few 100, and new specs over time

23. iMichael72 macrumors regular

Every now and then I see reports about the price of the PS3 being reduced.

But, I bought it about a month after it came out, and I plan on buying the iPhone on the 29th.

I'm impatient!!

24. mashinhead macrumors 68020

does there really need to be a thread about how over time technology gets cheaper, better, and faster? Isn't that an obvious conclusion that has applied to everything and will, as it stands to reason also happen to the iphone? Do you need Steve jobs to tell you this?

25. Gonzlobo macrumors 6502

I agree. I'm not a cingular fanboy by any stretch, but their service is perfect for me (I never have a dropped call).