iPhone Purchasers: Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by bigkidfallsdown, Jun 25, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Anyone in Memphis? Anyone have any information about which stores will carry the iPhone and even possibly how many?

Are we there yet?

2. macrumors 6502

wakka092

I live a hour or so from Memphis..

Go here: http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store

Type in Memphis, select Tennessee, ignore Services and select Store not Kiosk.

Any store that says "Cingular Wireless," not "Cingular Wireless - Authorized Retaler," will have the iPhone.

There's always the Apple Store at Saddle Creek in Germantown.

Hope this helps. :apple:

3. macrumors newbie

I read earlier that the stores won't even receive their allottment of iPhones to sell until earlier that day.

I'm either going to head to the Collierville store or go to the Apple Store. The Apple store is looking like a better option because I'm assuming that people won't be there to ask a bunch of questions about their plans and to get their plans set up. They'll just be there to buy the phone and get out. At least that's my theory.

4. macrumors 6502

wakka092

I'd go to the Apple Store if I were you. I'm sure you'll have to call or get on the internet to activate it though. I doubt there will be many (if any at all) people camping out there. But you could just watch the news Thursday night.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a at&t/Cingular store only a mile away from my house that I have a feeling no one would go to to purchase an iPhone because of it's location...Apple store is the best bet, of course.

I'm excited!

6. macrumors regular

gt1948

Big crowds at the apple Store you think? I remember opening day there was a crowd....70-100

7. macrumors 6502

wakka092

70-100 people isn't that many people for an Apple Store opening. But it opened a long time before Apple was more popular than it is now..

Have you guys heard they're building another Apple Store in Avenue Carriage Crossing sometime this year?

Back to the point, there are plenty of AT&T stores in the Memphis area.. the anticipation!!

8. macrumors member

Anyone in the Nashville area have plans yet? Any guess to the crowd at the Green Hills apple store?

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I still haven't been to the mall in Collierville. Does it do that much business? Esp. enough business where they would build an Apple store? Germantown and Collierviille are considerably closer than some other locations of where they could build an Apple store...that and of course I'm bias because I live in Midtown and would love one here or probably even better Downtown/South Main.

My roommates cousin works at the at&t store on Park and she said they are expecting between 10-100 iPhones...but who knows?

I shall master the double-thumb typing on the iPhone!!!!

10. macrumors 6502

wakka092

Ha, today I printed out a paper iPhone to see how my fat thumbs would affect typing.. I don't think it will be a problem I hope.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think the demand will be that high for the iPhone here in Memphis...am I crazy?

Is everyone happy it's finally rained and cool it off - it's been f'n miserable.

12. macrumors newbie

wakka: I have heard that rumor as well. I would guess that if that were to happen they would close the Germantown store and open another one elsewhere, like Oak Court or some place that is more centrally located. I know one of the managers at the Apple Store in Germantown really well and he gets calls all the time from people in Midtown who won't come "all the way out to Germantown" to go to Apple. If they move to Collierville, it will be positioning themselves for future growth of the metro area once 385 is done (it would also put them right off of 385).

bigkid: I'll bet the demand is higher than you think. It's all going to hinge around how many the ATT stores receive. I had read 1 report that most of them would only get around 15 or so. Now that I think about it, does it really make much sense to close for an hour and a half (or however long they're closing) to prepare to sell 15 iPhones? Maybe they'll have decent stock too.

13. macrumors 6502

wakka092

No, you are very sane. Most people around here only get the free phones, and if they pay for one, it's far less than $500.

It is still very warm here in Lauderdale County.. :(

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard something similar of a smaller number being released to the at&t stores around here from someone that works there - but! no one knows...and the speculation is fun.

For anyone wanting to do anything else that Friday there's an art show at Ernestine and Hazel's on South Main. I'll be there shooting and drinking....and playing with my iPhone. :D

15. macrumors 6502

wakka092

I didn't realise how many malls there were in Memphis. There are six I believe: Oak Court, Peabody Place, Hickory Ridge, Raliegh Springs, Southland, and Wolfchase. That's overkill. I only visit one on a regular basis - Wolfchase - and I don't see how the older malls are still in business. Has anyone been to Peabody Place recently? How is it? Busy?

As it seems, everything is moving east and north, as if Memphis is decaying from inside out. That's urban decay for ya. I hear Fayette County is really going up. I have a cousin who lives in Oakland and things are building up there.

You can see on the 40 - 385 interchange where they have paved and installed overpasses a good way southeast. Collierville is set to be the next Germantown.

16. macrumors newbie

iPhone Stores

Hello my iPhone hungry friends. I saw that the Cingular store (I know, but they're still orange, so I'll call them Cingular) on Germantown and Dexter, Germantown and Trinity, and the Union Avenue stores look like likely stores to carry the iPhone on Friday, based on their prominently displayed iPhone posters and the fact that other Cingular stores (like the one on Highway 64 near Appling) don't have those posters. I'm going to order mine online, though part of me wants to go through the whole experience. happy shopping!

17. pyn
    macrumors member

Anyone going to the  Apple Store in Germantown? I'm trying to decide whether to head there or a closer AT&T/cingular store in Collierville...

IMO, I've been there, and the Apple Store is huge, but has practically no people in it...

18. macrumors newbie

I can't wait until Friday. I'll be checking out the situation at the Apple store on Thursday night, then will get in line on Friday. I hope there are several people who are gonna join me, but not more than that. Hopefully most people will be going to the AT&T Stores and leave the Apple store alone. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

19. macrumors 6502

wakka092

dtivomem: You should have no problem going to the Apple Store. If you get there in the morning and there's a line, you can get in it. If there's not a line then there's always J. Crew or Williams & Sonoma or whatever else there's to shop at in Saddle Creek.

And if there's a massive line, then you can relax knowing that the Apple Stores have alot of iPhones.

Good luck. :apple:

20. pyn
    macrumors member

I hope  Apple Stores have a lot of iPhones :p then I could relax and have dinner at YiaYia's afterwards ;O

21. macrumors newbie

Germantown TN — 5 minutes from Apple store
    iPhone/Apple store

My daughter and I will be lining up sometime Thursday or Friday - whenever the need arises. We've decided to go to the Apple store, as I was there the other day asking about the phone and one of the employees reminded me that they are just much more fun. Which is true.

We are obsessed and cannot wait.

22. macrumors 6502

wakka092

Be ready for news cameras.

23. macrumors newbie

Long lines

I stood in line there when panther came out, there were about maybe 80 people in line. I got there about two hours before it went on sale and there were only about 30 people, but it really picked up about an hour before it went on sale. Panther went on sale at 9:00PM that night. I expect a much larger crowd for the iPhone.
    I will go by Friday morning and if there is a line forming I will get in line, if not I may wait until about 2:00PM.

Rick

24. macrumors newbie

Germantown TN — 5 minutes from Apple store
    Kinda my plan - i'll be checking it out tomorrow just in case, but will be ready Friday morning to line up if need be. Dang it's gonna be hot on that pavement in Memphis in late June. This could be fun - a geek party!

25. voe
    macrumors newbie

We're Here!

The Fiancee and I were sitting at our Starbucks in New Orleans at 9ish last night. Well, we decided to come out here and drove all night to the Germantown Apple Store. I suppose we are first in line. We're off to get breakfast and begin the loooooooong wait. Come visit if you'd like.

David and Jennifer from New Orleans.