iPhone Purchasers: San Diego, CA

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by jeffrawles, Jun 15, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Just curious, plus might be fun to have someone to talk to that ISN'T a airhead college student with no love for apple.:eek: :eek:

2. macrumors 65816

i guess you would love my college then... there are ALOT of mac users

3. macrumors newbie

I'll probably head over to the Fashion Valley store a few hours early. I guess how early depends on how long the line is and how busy I am.

4. macrumors newbie

i'm pretty sure anyone who is camping out for this thing has to have a hell of a lot (hella for all you cali peeps) of love for apple.

5. macrumors regular

hella is nor-cal not so-cal.......

6. macrumors regular

yup hella is my stomping grounds :D

7. macrumors 68000

Folks in Boston

Where's everyone in the Boston Area headed on the 29th? We have like 6 or 7 apple stores to choose from, and a ton of ATT Stores.

I'm debating whether to go to Cambridgeside, or the ATT store on Boylston St. by Copley Square.

Checking things out around noon, if there's a line then, I'm staying. if not I'll just stay in the mall for the afternoon checking back periodically.

Just wanted to get opinions from my fellow people in the Bean!

8. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i wouldn't want to wait at fashion valley or utc. wouldn't you rather buy from an at&t store?

9. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Fellow San Diego iPhone fanboyz & fangurlz

I was just about to create a San Diego specific post for iPhone "campouts" when I searched and came across this one - ya beat me to it!

San Diego native here, probably a lot older than most of you lot (49) and Apple user since the Apple II days...but that's beside the point. I'm definitely getting an iPhone on June 29...here's some strategy I'm working on...

Although it would be WAY cool to be at the Fashion Valley store come Friday, we all know what a complete ZOO that's going to be, so while doing some research for what AT&T store may be the "best bet" for actually having a chance at getting one that night, I picked the Chula Vista mall AT&T store - I figure that most folks will relate the iPhone to "Apple" and head to UTC or FV, and might ignore the AT&T stores.

There's a lot of AT&T stores in town that will probably be carrying the phone (Scripps Ranch, La Jolla, Downtown SD, Mission Valley, etc.) but for my money, I would 'surmise' that the one in the mall at 555 Broadway in CV might be less crowded - or even the one in Santee. I used the store locater here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store

Age doesn't always equate to wisdom :rolleyes: so I'm willing to hear other strategy opinions. What I have planned in my little mind, so far, is this:

Take Friday off. Get up early. Drive over to FV Mall Apple store to "see what's going on" at, say, 7 in the morning. (I don't think the mall would let anyone spend the previous night there.) If there's maybe 20 people there (conservitive estimate, I'm sure) I'll pitch my tent. If it's a madhouse, then go over to Chula Vista AT&T store.

Input, anyone?

10. macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im thinking of FV. I work in Hillcrest and Im going to take a half day - maybe we could set up a email list of interested people here to keep tabs on the best place to purchase. FV, BTW is one of Apple's busiest stores - in the top 5 I believe, so they are bound to have more iPhones than UTC etc.

Im switching from Sprint with my partner - he may not want the iPhone - has not decided yet - but I am buying with Gift Cards I have saved up for a few years - so Im not sure how its going to work for us - buy and then go to AT&T to switch services and get my partners phone? I might call and ask what we should do...

11. macrumors regular

Good plan! I wanted to head to FV just to see the crowds.

Imagine how crowded the irvine apple store will be!

12. macrumors newbie

rmapple

I'll go to Fashion Valley too. Previously worked at that Apple Store, so I know a bunch of people there;)

13. macrumors newbie

Cackeezy

14. macrumors 65816

voicegy

I would bet the AT&T store in Chula Vista might be better, crowd wise. I drove there 2 weekends ago, and they had the posters in the windows and I asked if they were carrying it, so that's confirmed - the one in the mall at 555 Broadway...I honestly didn't know there was an Apple store in Chula Vista until you mentioned it.

15. macrumors newbie

Where to go?

Hey guys, I thought a lot about the apple stores then realized that even though they are getting more units, it would be smarter to go to a small AT&T store. There is on in north County that is off the 78 freeway that has only been open a month or two and it is never busy. I was thinking of heading over there right at 4:00 or 4:30 and if there is a crowd, heading east on the 78 where you can find a few more within 10 miles. My first one is in the San Marcos area so cross your fingers!

16. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Which one is that one? Confirmation that they are carrying the phone? Location(s)?

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Who Dun IT! LOL Nobody was supposed to think about the Apple store..

In Chula Vista, but alas. That is where I will be. Hey voice guy... I had an Apple IIe does that count?

18. macrumors newbie

Cackeezy

19. macrumors newbie

I will be there!!

I have a couple ideas about what is going to be the best way to secure an "iPhone in San Diego. I am passionate about the brand and have yet to find someone local with my level of "interest" in Apple products. See if you can get a group together to stand in line, or just hang out together.

20. macrumors 65816

voicegy

You've found a group of passionate, local Apple folks right here. There's plenty others that don't visit MacRumors that share our passion...Share your ideas with us in this thread!:D

21. macrumors newbie

I'm definetely going to an At&t store, the one off the 78 sounds good to me.

22. macrumors member

Here is some advice,
    If you are planning on going to the fashion valley store you might want to make sure they are done with construction, last time i was there the store was mostly closed except for the room the size of my closet that was packed! so you might want to head to the UTC store, plus at the UTC store there is an ATT booth right outside that can answer some questions for any new people to ATT.

If you live in encinitas like i do there is only one ATT owned store by the target shopping center, all the rest are pretty far away. Also there is a starbucks and a subway right next to it so there will be food and a bathroom available.

I personally am going to have my dad check the lines on his way to work and i will go every hour to check the lines and see if i need to line up.

by the way the starbucks also has a tmobile hot spot so i am bringing my powerbook to get online and be ready to order a phone online if i don't get one at the store! just an ideahttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

23. macrumors newbie

Small ATT stores may not have stock

The La Jolla Cingular (Now ATT) store told me they will NOT have stock. Make sure you check with them before you plan anything. Some of the smaller stores may not be part of the launch.

I was surprised...

All the best,
    Paul

24. macrumors regular

lorax3

iPhone San Diego

Although I may not buy a phone I will be heading down to Fashion Valley with some video equipment in case there is a riot when Apple Employees open up the doors, or when the Fed-EX guy shows up.

Not to mention I would love interview some folks in line in order to find some Mac Power Users like myself, and to see who in line really knows what the phone can/cannot do, or to find those who are buying an iPhone because its "Hip".
    See you There.

-lorax

25. macrumors 6502

I live in La Costa Valley right near that one. I have to work though so I am not really sure what I am going to do yet.