Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm thinking it all begins 9/16. I just wonder if they'd go for 9/11 all things considering.

Reactions: Cape Dave

kshen1

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
I would bet on 9/11 as the preorder date, 9/16 as the release date for iOS 9, and 9/18 as the release date.

I agree with this as well. I am going to also ASSUME that watchOS 2.0 will also be coming out on 9/16, but at this time, one can only guess. Don't fret, it's just a few days away :)

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I'm thinking it all begins 9/16. I just wonder if they'd go for 9/11 all things considering.
It's just a date.
9/01 Germans invade Poland starting WWII
12/07 Japanese attack Pearl Harbor
7/28 WWI starts
3/27 Second Iraq Invasion
6/18 British Invade US 1812
10/18 Entire Chicago business district burns
4/18 Frisco earthquake and fire

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
It's just a date.
7/28 WWI starts

Me, I would not launch anything on that date ever. As horrible as the other dates are, 9/11 was in a different category. I am betting that Apple feels like I do on this one. We'll see.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Me, I would not launch anything on that date ever. As horrible as the other dates are, 9/11 was in a different category. I am betting that Apple feels like I do on this one. We'll see.
Just more recent, for me the 60 plus million killed in WWII seems a bit more significant, and certainly in a different category. Starting with my grandfather 76 years ago today.

Reactions: bhayes444

lewiguez

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Akron, OH
My two cents:

They'll need to give a 1-2 weeks for developers to submit binaries for iOS 9 (we still have beta Xcode and can't submit until that's released) so that'll probably be available same day. They won't release the phones until iOS 9 is up and ready and apps have been submitted. Fiscal quarter ends September 25 for them. Q3 is sometimes a lighter quarter (although there is sometimes a good back-to-school boost), so they might want the extra purchases to report a strong quarter. If that's the case the following timeline meshes well:

9/9 - Xcode Released
9/11 - Preorder Starts
9/22 - iOS 9/watchOS 2 Released
9/24 - Hardware Released

I agree about the 9/11 date significance though. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is, of course, assuming new phones are announced at this event. Although since we got a new public beta of El Capitan this week, I doubt that one week later they'd be at GM. I just want to know how long until we have access to the Apple TV SDK that'll be announced!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My two cents:

They'll need to give a 1-2 weeks for developers to submit binaries for iOS 9 (we still have beta Xcode and can't submit until that's released) so that'll probably be available same day. They won't release the phones until iOS 9 is up and ready and apps have been submitted. Fiscal quarter ends September 25 for them. Q3 is sometimes a lighter quarter (although there is sometimes a good back-to-school boost), so they might want the extra purchases to report a strong quarter. If that's the case the following timeline meshes well:

9/9 - Xcode Released
9/11 - Preorder Starts
9/22 - iOS 9/watchOS 2 Released
9/24 - Hardware Released

I agree about the 9/11 date significance though. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is, of course, assuming new phones are announced at this event. Although since we got a new public beta of El Capitan this week, I doubt that one week later they'd be at GM. I just want to know how long until we have access to the Apple TV SDK that'll be announced!

OSX typically comes out in October. We won't see it next week. We will probably get a release date next week.

But I am still confident and would bet that we will see iOS GM/Xcode GM on 9/9, pre-order 9/11. iOS 9 9/16 and hardware 9/18. That's how it's been every year. Hardware follows the event on the following Friday. Still unsure about WatchOS.

lewiguez

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Akron, OH
Oh Americans, always putting themselves first. Yes, it was awful, but seriously? WWI and WWII kinda trumps all.

I agree that WWI and WWII (and a whole bunch of other things) had a much larger loss of life than 9/11. I still would be hesitant to launch/release products on that day, though, and not solely because I'm an American. It's more because that event is named after the date. So, it's impossible to avoid association for some people when you say "iPhone 6S To Be Released on 9/11."

Anyway, not trying to start a Political thread here! :)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree that WWI and WWII (and a whole bunch of other things) had a much larger loss of life than 9/11. I still would be hesitant to launch/release products on that day, though, and not solely because I'm an American. It's more because that event is named after the date. So, it's impossible to avoid association for some people when you say "iPhone 6S To Be Released on 9/11."

Anyway, not trying to start a Political thread here! :)

I agree that there is a huge association with the day and event. However the claim he made that it's untouchable and beyond anything else is just nuts. I definitely don't mean any disrespect, it was purely his claim.

OSX typically comes out in October. We won't see it next week. We will probably get a release date next week.

But I am still confident and would bet that we will see iOS GM/Xcode GM on 9/9, pre-order 9/11. iOS 9 9/16 and hardware 9/18. That's how it's been every year. Hardware follows the event on the following Friday. Still unsure about WatchOS.

I would expect watchOS 2 to launch along side iOS 9. Since the devices are pretty much tied together, it only makes sense to update their software together going forward (probably why they chose to go with OS 2 so soon (only 5-6 months after release) instead of 1.1, to get them on similar cycles.)

lewiguez

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Akron, OH
However the claim he made that it's untouchable and beyond anything else is just nuts.

Agreed about that. I definitely don't think it's untouchable. I'm curious to see if Apple thinks the same or not.

I would expect watchOS 2 to launch along side iOS 9. Since the devices are pretty much tied together, it only makes sense to update their software together going forward (probably why they chose to go with OS 2 so soon (only 5-6 months after release) instead of 1.1, to get them on similar cycles.)

Also agreed! :)

Reactions: lagwagon

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There is no way Apple would start pre order on 9/11 so all bets are off!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

I agree with you about seeing them together. But I would do the following.

I also posted this in the other thread about WatchOS 2:

My honest opinion:

I would release iOS 9 on 9/16, WatchOS 9/17 and hardware 9/18. That would alleviate some server load and the ability for the consumer to update the phone first, then the watch the next day. A more straightforward experience.

I guarantee you if they are released the same day someone will attempt to update the watch first and not be able to figure out why it won't work. And then we get to see stupid threads asking why it's not working. Lol

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I also posted this in the other thread about WatchOS 2:

My honest opinion:

I would release iOS 9 on 9/16, WatchOS 9/17 and hardware 9/18. That would alleviate some server load and the ability for the consumer to update the phone first, then the watch the next day. A more straightforward experience.

I guarantee you if they are released the same day someone will attempt to update the watch first and not be able to figure out why it won't work. And then we get to see stupid threads asking why it's not working. Lol

Haha, yeah I saw. You make a good point. That probably wouldn't be avoidable though unless you split the releases like 3-4 weeks apart (for iOS 9 and watchOS 2) because most usually don't update on day one. Who knows though, maybe watchOS 2 release will play nice with 8.4.1 and could just be a beta thing that it doesn't.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Haha, yeah I saw. You make a good point. That probably wouldn't be avoidable though unless you split the releases like 3-4 weeks apart (for iOS 9 and watchOS 2) because most usually don't update on day one. Who knows though, maybe watchOS 2 release will play nice with 8.4.1 and could just be a beta thing that it doesn't.

That's actually a really good point about 8.4.1. I guess this thread's title is appropriate..Speculation!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's just a preorder date though. Not the release date and not even the reveal date. Yeesh, do you think they'll be that sensitive? I hope not!

Not only that. Hundreds of things have released and such on that day since (obviously not right away, but in recent times yes.) I'm sure I've seen video games and all sorts of other things over the last few+ years with that day.

Reactions: JohnApples

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
It's just a date.
7/28 WWI starts
Just a date? Seriously? Unreal.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
They could start preorders on 11. September in all other first tier country's. And the U.S. Preorder date moves to the 17 September

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's just a preorder date though. Not the release date and not even the reveal date. Yeesh, do you think they'll be that sensitive? I hope not!

Honestly it may be a pre order date but it's not a date Apple would want to use as a sign of respect but we will see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.