iPhone Remains Popular With Teens as iPad Interest Plateaus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's iPhone continues to grow in popularity with U.S. teenagers, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's latest semiannual teen survey [PDF], which asked 7,500 teens about their device preferences. 61 percent of teens now own an iPhone, compared to 55 percent from a survey conducted in October 2013 and 40 percent in the fall of 2012.

67 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, up slightly from October's survey. When it comes to tablets, 60 percent of teens own one, up from 56 percent in the fall. 66 percent of those own an iPad (55% full-sized, 11% mini), which is down slightly from 68 percent, with ownership shifting further towards the mini. 18 percent of teens who don't own a tablet expect to buy one in the next sixth months and of those prospective buyers, 66 percent plan to choose an iPad.

[​IMG]
    The Spring 2014 survey also covered prospective teen interest in an Apple smart watch, which the company is said to be developing. Of the 7,500 teenagers surveyed, six percent currently own a smart watch and 17 percent of teens would buy an iWatch if Apple were to sell it for $350 or less.
    In the past, Samsung has attempted to position its Galaxy phones as the choice for teenagers by portraying the iPhone as "uncool," but this marketing tactic appears to be largely unsuccessful given the segment's growing interest in Apple products.

Despite the iPhone's popularity, the iPad has become slightly less popular with teenagers as competitors like Google and Kindle have released more affordable options. Android tablets in particular have seen consistent growth among teens, even after the launch of the Retina iPad mini and the thinner and lighter iPad Air.

Article Link: iPhone Remains Popular With Teens as iPad Interest Plateaus

2. macrumors 601

macduke

But...but...but all the Samsung commercials say iPhones are for old people!

3. macrumors 601

I sometimes question why I have an iPad. Probably why I haven't bought the iPad Air. The iPad 4th gen is good enough and the apps aren't going to do anything different with the Air.

4. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

The reason is probably because the iPhone is subsidized & the iPad is not.

Parents probably don't mind paying $100-200 for a kid's iPhone (since all subsidized phones cost about the same), but they will balk at spending $500 for an iPad when other tablets are much cheaper.

5. macrumors 68020

inkswamp

This is interesting especially in light of all those consumer surveys from a couple years ago that showed increasing numbers of Android users planning to buy iPhones and few going the other way.

I've joked that dealing with the Android clusterf*** for 2 years is enough to make anyone an iPhone user, but I'm starting to think that's what is actually happening. I watched it happen with my wife and my daughter, both of whom loved their Android phones at first, but grew weary of its eccentricities after 6 months and switched to iPhones. I know others who have done the same. I know of nobody who grew to hate their iPhone and jumped to Android.

It's anecdotal, I know, but it does fall in line with the consumer surveys from the last few years.

6. macrumors 601

Parents are in for a rude awakening once they discover cell phone companies are going away from this and you're paying for your phone outright.

7. macrumors newbie

Cost is an issue

Tablet is not as 'essential' as phone for the latter is somehow a real need for a fast-paced and busy schedule family. No parent will find it unnecessary to locate their youthful kids precisely while allowing them to have active and social lifestyle.
    As middle-aged man, I like iPad in terms of its integration with iPhone and Macbook which is a real convenience to a working professional. I don't have to figure out so many variations of apps as in Android world.

8. macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

No they aren't. Phone companies are moving towards installment plans. So it will just be another monthly fee along with the bill.

9. macrumors 6502a

This study asks about device preferences. Why would subsidies come into play?

10. macrumors regular

I've had the iPhone since the very first day back in '07 when it came out for $500 and have had every single iteration since. I'm about to switch to Android. I've wanted to for a while, but I'm a sucker for the ecosystem. Hardware wise Androids are now better - that's a fact. Something we've never really dealt with since Apple competitors usually just suck it up.

Having said that - I will be converting to a Nexus if the iPhone 6 doesn't have a bigger screen. The iPad Air is the best tablet out there, but the phone simply sucks.

11. The Doctor11, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014

macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Well I'm a teen so I guess I'll take the survey.
    I...
    Own an iPhone
    Own an iPad
    Would love to buy an iWatch.

And the percentage of teens that are apple fanboys is 0.00001. I'm sorta the only one in the category.

----------

Samsungs to stupid to see that I guess. Do they make glasses?

----------

Yeah but have you ever seen little kids with tablets. There's a ton of little kids with iPad mini's not iPods.

12. macrumors 68030

TechGod

But it's more expensive to be on contract... are you going to just forget the contracts insane pricing?

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Wait, I thought we were in a "post-PC era" of tablets. ;)

The Mac Pro sells better than expected, and iPad's are plateauing. Could be for any reason, but at least the new Mac Pro has shown professionals and enthusiasts still need and want a desktop system (not an all-in-one).

15. mw360, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

macrumors 6502a

mw360

iPhone owners chart is absolute percentages (i.e. all teenagers) but iPad figures are relative (all tablet owners). iPad chart therefore omits overall tablet sales growth where iPhone does not. Misleading.

Also figures in the article for tablet sales 60% up from 56% are very close to the iPhone increases shown in the chart (looks like 61% up from 55%), so the iPad is growing almost as fast as the iPhone. That's not a plateau. Boring, but true.

16. macrumors 65816

bawbac

Well, sort of...

[​IMG]

17. macrumors regular

If 70% of non tablet owners intend to buy an iPad, shouldn't the number of iPad owners be increasing? I can"t believe that there are as much leaving the iPad.
    OK, they didn't tell WHEN they intend to buy...

18. macrumors regular

Devices and eco-systems are only as popular as the apps they use. I keep thinking to myself if Apple can get an amazing game or some piece of software that makes people want to buy an iPad they'd see large growth again. Having the hardware is not enough. If the only compete on standard features they won't keep the lead.

19. macrumors 6502a

20. macrumors 68020

carjakester

21. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Beginning a sentence with a numeral is a huge writing blunder.

Sorry, but this kind of thing really makes my brain hurt. Ow.

23. macrumors 6502a

Surface

I've been seeing more and more people with Surfaces at Business Conferences lately. And whenever I go to the mall a lot of folks seem excited about the Surface in the MS Store.

24. macrumors 65816

I don't think even Apple would have the balls to charge that much.:eek:

25. macrumors 65816

senseless

61% of teens own an iPhone, so the the other 39% own Androids and 100% of US teens now own a smartphone with a data plan payment? Something is obviously askew.