Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
The Spring 2014 survey also covered prospective teen interest in an Apple smart watch, which the company is said to be developing. Of the 7,500 teenagers surveyed, six percent currently own a smart watch and 17 percent of teens would buy an iWatch if Apple were to sell it for $350 or less.

How could they possibly come to any conclusion if nobody knows what it'll do or how it'll work? That number is meaningless.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
This. I am noticing that with my nephews and nieces as they mention that the cool kids are now heading towards Samsung.

Samsung's aggresive marketing did pay off for them

I've noticed a lot more people with Samsung phones to. The question is will they switch back to the iPhone when the larger screen iPhone 6 comes out? I don't sense any great brand loyalty towards Samsung phones. Take away their USP and you never know.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
This is interesting especially in light of all those consumer surveys from a couple years ago that showed increasing numbers of Android users planning to buy iPhones and few going the other way.

I've joked that dealing with the Android clusterf*** for 2 years is enough to make anyone an iPhone user, but I'm starting to think that's what is actually happening. I watched it happen with my wife and my daughter, both of whom loved their Android phones at first, but grew weary of its eccentricities after 6 months and switched to iPhones. I know others who have done the same. I know of nobody who grew to hate their iPhone and jumped to Android.

It's anecdotal, I know, but it does fall in line with the consumer surveys from the last few years.

100% my experience as well.

I had an HTC Android phone for 2 years. Soon as my contract was up I switched to an iPhone 5 and will not be going back to Android. My wife was exactly the same as well.

The statistic that was shown on here the other day that only about 5% of Android users are on the latest release is such a big issue that is not easily fixed.

My Android phone was out of date when I bought it. New versions of Android were out, but not for model yet as HTC hadn't done their bit to it. And then once they had, I had to wait for my carrier to get hold of the update and get around to adding their bloatware crapola to it before pushing it out to end users. And THAT is the problem. Apple updates iOS and its available to devices direct from Apple. In my experience I was relying on HTC and my carrier to spend man hours on making an update available to a phone they may only sell for 6 months before a replacement model comes along.

They have already sold the phone and thus don't care about updating it.
I had a student bring me a phone at the start of this year. He said it was purchased in 2013. It still had Android 2.x on it.

The ONLY thing that Android phones have that I want is bigger screens and that may be sorted this year. So, bring on iPhone 6 please.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

I had an HTC Android phone for 2 years. Soon as my contract was up I switched to an iPhone 5 and will not be going back to Android. My wife was exactly the same as well.

The statistic that was shown on here the other day that only about 5% of Android users are on the latest release is such a big issue that is not easily fixed.

My Android phone was out of date when I bought it. New versions of Android were out, but not for model yet as HTC hadn't done their bit to it. And then once they had, I had to wait for my carrier to get hold of the update and get around to adding their bloatware crapola to it before pushing it out to end users. And THAT is the problem. Apple updates iOS and its available to devices direct from Apple. In my experience I was relying on HTC and my carrier to spend man hours on making an update available to a phone they may only sell for 6 months before a replacement model comes along.

I had a student bring me a phone at the start of this year. He said it was purchased in 2013. It still had Android 2.x on it.

The ONLY thing that Android phones have that I want is bigger screens and that may be sorted this year. So, bring on iPhone 6 please.

Sorry to say but you bought the wrong android phone and so did your student. Not all android devices have update issues and they are not created equal. If updates are important to you buy nexus/motorola/google edition

HTC one is the only HTC phone with a good update track record.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

Yeah but that's you. I know many people who started on Android, then tried an iPhone and went back to Android.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
350. :rolleyes:, they won't be selling too many of them, 200. is what i would pay.

All depends what it does and what it looks like. I wouldn't give a nickel for Galaxy Gear, but something useful and nice looking I'd pony up $350.

But there's the rub… what will Apple do to make it worth the money?

joshisaboss

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Earth
iPhones are becoming the new blackberries. Especially iPhone 4. That is the modern day equivalent to the curve.
Samsung galaxy phones are the new iPhone.(as in for those who go for something different to the norm)
Exactly, of all the iPhones left at school, 75% would be iPhone 4, 10% 4S, 5% iPhone 5's and only a few 5ses I've seen around + the odd 3GS.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Exactly, of all the iPhones left at school, 75% would be iPhone 4, 10% 4S, 5% iPhone 5's and only a few 5ses I've seen around + the odd 3GS.

The thing about it is, most people replace their phones every 2-3 years so a iPhone owner today could be a Android phone owner tomorrow and 2 years from then an iPhone user again. All Apple has to do is make the iPhone unique and cool again.

Someone else said something good… maybe Apple should start going for some exclusives on games, just like the Xbox did with Halo early on… but the games need to be awesome to do this.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
No they aren't. Phone companies are moving towards installment plans. So it will just be another monthly fee along with the bill.

With Verizon yes...with AT&T's new family plans, it'll be a big difference.

A paid for/off contract phone is only $15 a month. The installment payments on a new device is $25-$40 a month extra. When it was the same monthly fee for a subsidized or unsubsidized device, parents considered it a simple $199-$299 purchase. Now it's an increased expense over time.

I can see a lot of parents encouraging their kids to take 'hand me down' phones or looking for unlocked used devices rather than buying new phones for all the kids.

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
When Apple finally releases a larger screen, they're going to seriously cut into Samsungs percentage. Lots of people went to Samsung since they wanted a larger phone, but a large portion of them will return.

iTycho

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
I've had the iPhone since the very first day back in '07 when it came out for $500 and have had every single iteration since. I'm about to switch to Android. I've wanted to for a while, but I'm a sucker for the ecosystem. Hardware wise Androids are now better - that's a fact. Something we've never really dealt with since Apple competitors usually just suck it up.

Having said that - I will be converting to a Nexus if the iPhone 6 doesn't have a bigger screen. The iPad Air is the best tablet out there, but the phone simply sucks.

Lol, why is it that whenever some pompous dude on the internet haughtily announces "that's a fact"; there's like a 99+% chance whatever garbage they just spewed was blatantly only opinion??
Point in case: you.
I'm pretty sure the processor is hardware... Is the processor hardware?? Oh, it is... ?Oh, Android phones do NOT have better processors & THAT is a fact?? Hmm... Well, what about the fingerprint sensor, surely that's a simple piece of code, right? Oh... it's not?? In actual FACT it's a piece of hardware? Hmm.. Well, I'm sure that there are many many much better fingerprint scanners available on Android phones, right? No....???? Jesus Christ, well were you correct about anything then?
Oh............ the SCREEN. Gotcha. Ok. Good one. I didn't realize that when you said that it was a "fact" that Android phone hardware specs are better- what you meant was "they have bigger screens... derp".

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I've had the iPhone since the very first day back in '07 when it came out for $500 and have had every single iteration since. I'm about to switch to Android. I've wanted to for a while, but I'm a sucker for the ecosystem. Hardware wise Androids are now better - that's a fact. Something we've never really dealt with since Apple competitors usually just suck it up.

Having said that - I will be converting to a Nexus if the iPhone 6 doesn't have a bigger screen. The iPad Air is the best tablet out there, but the phone simply sucks.

Have no fear…..good things come to those who wait….unless we're all out to lunch on that one, lol

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
the most the iWatch should cost is $99

My expectations are slightly more generous - maybe $150 - on par with an iPod nano. It probably has a similar level of technology in it too. But I know what you mean. In my mind, this will be a stripped down device that performs a limited set of functions - but does them well.

Remember when the iPad was introduced, everyone expected Apple to make an osx based tablet that would run for ~$999, they came in at half that. People were both shocked at how much cheaper it was than their expectations, but also that that functionality was limited - since "it was just a big phone" that was obviously proven wrong.

Also, if they supposedly expect to ship 65 million of these this holiday it has to be priced at an impulse buy level.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting for both the iPhone and the iPad. I wonder why they're tiring of the iPad

Its even more surprising given the fickle nature of teenagers.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Besides having a larger screen, is there any other way that Android hardware is better? The iPhone 5s CPU is faster, the phone is thin and light, the finger print scanner is good, the camera still basically squeaks out the win against everyone else in real world usage.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've been seeing more and more people with Surfaces at Business Conferences lately. And whenever I go to the mall a lot of folks seem excited about the Surface in the MS Store.

What business or profession? I still don't see too many Surfaces around - maybe a 1:5 ratio Surface to iPads, but iPads have been around longer. I wonder if what you are seeing is related to needing Office, price point, or a particular business segment's Win bias. Also if it's because of Office if Office for iPad now causes would-be Surface buyers to reconsider the iPad.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
In my school, I would say 65% of children own an iPhone. 10% are still stuck with a blackberry curve, 25% have android, of which 70% have a samsung galaxy phone.

Then there's me, who has a nexus 5.

iPhones are becoming the new blackberries. Especially iPhone 4. That is the modern day equivalent to the curve.
Samsung galaxy phones are the new iPhone.(as in for those who go for something different to the norm)

If someone is using a iPhone 4 at this point it is probably a hand me down from someone else. I don't think that equates the iPhone with a blackberry. Anyway, your 65% call for iPhone while about 20% for Galaxy Samsung, seems like a pretty nice breakdown for Apple. If Apple can stay in this range, it should be fine.

----------

What business or profession? I still don't see too many Surfaces around - maybe a 1:5 ratio Surface to iPads, but iPads have been around longer. I wonder if what you are seeing is related to needing Office, price point, or a particular business segment's Win bias. Also if it's because of Office if Office for iPad now causes would-be Surface buyers to reconsider the iPad.

I hear about business users buying Surfaces. Haven't actually seen someone pull the trigger. But if Excel files are a huge part of your work, then until last week, iPad didn't work for you. Also, Windows laptops are so bad, either heavy or with poor battery life, that the Surface does seem attractive.

But it all starts with Excel. That's the driving factor because Excel on Macs doesn't work for a lot of professionals. The hot keys were different from the PC version and folks find that frustrating.

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
But it's more expensive to be on contract... are you going to just forget the contracts insane pricing?

People keep saying this. That is not always the case. My wife and I have 700 shared minutes and each have 2GB of data and 200 texts each (we never go over either since most of our texts are iMessages). For 4gb shared on the new mobile share plans it works out to $5 less per month which does not cover the difference between 2 subsidized phones and the actual price over two years. I will hold on to the contract as long as they keep offering it. This is ATT so it may be different for other carriers but I haven't seen a better deal anywhere.

----------

Interesting for both the iPhone and the iPad. I wonder why they're tiring of the iPad

Its even more surprising given the fickle nature of teenagers.

I just think that the flagship features of the newer iPads versus the older ones are not as desirable to the average user (or teen) than for the iPhone. Plus teenagers always have their phones with them and not so much with their iPads.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
This is interesting especially in light of all those consumer surveys from a couple years ago that showed increasing numbers of Android users planning to buy iPhones and few going the other way.

I've joked that dealing with the Android clusterf*** for 2 years is enough to make anyone an iPhone user, but I'm starting to think that's what is actually happening. I watched it happen with my wife and my daughter, both of whom loved their Android phones at first, but grew weary of its eccentricities after 6 months and switched to iPhones. I know others who have done the same. I know of nobody who grew to hate their iPhone and jumped to Android.

It's anecdotal, I know, but it does fall in line with the consumer surveys from the last few years.

It's not anecdotal that much.

Nothing makes you hate Android more than actually using it. It shows why Apple is so good after using the half-bakedness and ugliness of Android.

I know it's a shock but outside of the tech world, people don't need to update their phones with every new release.... the apps still work, why upgrade?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
While I always notice teenages pulling out their iPhone's when I'm out, I have noticed the opposite when it comes to tablets. I've seen more business professionals using the iPad, where teens have a Galaxy tablet or even a Kindle Fire. Obviously, this is just from what I have seen in the metropolitan area where I live.

newjacksm

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Well I'm a teen so I guess I'll take the survey.
I...
Own an iPhone
Own an iPad
Would love to buy an iWatch.

And the percentage of teens that are apple fanboys is 0.00001. I'm sorta the only one in the category.

----------

Samsungs to stupid to see that I guess. Do they make glasses?

----------

Yeah but have you ever seen little kids with tablets. There's a ton of little kids with iPad mini's not iPods.

Plenty of teens are applefan boys. Rich ones. And you don't own them, your parents do. Your parents bought them for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.