iPhone reported as stolen?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by albertxp06, Feb 27, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

So I tried my luck by sending AT&T a request to unlock my iPhone 5. Yes, it's on contract, but I have had them unlock two on contract iPhone 4's. A few hours later, I receive an email saying that it can't be completed because my IMEI was reported as stolen. It's not blacklisted though as it works just fine.

I've had my iPhone 5 in my hands since launch day, bought from AT&T and I don't ever recall losing it or anyone else having it.

Any way around this? I've heard that once it's reported it can't be cleared.

2. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

you can ask them if they would be kind enough to maybe reach out for the original owner and see if he/she would be willing to speak with you regarding the matter, but i highly doubt that will happen.

my money is that youre out of luck.

3. macrumors newbie

Oooh Oooh! I know!!! You could....CALL THEM!?

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You should call them up. If you bought it from AT&T on launch day and was never reported lost or stolen by you then something might be screwed up on their end.

5. macrumors 68040

Makes no sense as if it was reported stolen the imei would have been blocked. Just a mistake. Why didn't you bother to call them, that's the first thing I would have done.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Calling them is absolutely not my cup of tea. The past three times I've called, they didn't help at all and ended up holding longer than 50 minutes once.

And now it's too late as they've closed for the night.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Took over an hour and three reps, but they finally confirmed it was a mistake. Not exactly my idea of a good time, but at least it was resolved.

8. macrumors regular

///M Powah

Go to the nearest AT&T store and talk with them then.