iPhone screen -- LED backlight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mugwump, Mar 19, 2007.

1. mugwump macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2004
    Rumors floating around are that macs are getting LED backlit screens beginning in the spring.

Wouldn't it make sense that the iPhone use this tech? It's cooler, more power efficient, more vibrant, longer lasting, etc.
  2. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    Actually, handheld devices such as cell phones and iPods have used LED backlit screens for a long time now :)
  3. mugwump thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2004
    Ah, wonderful info. No wonder I haven't read anything about it.
  4. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I wonder if the iPhone is going to be brigt enough to use in full sunlight. I haven't had a cell phone yet that has had a visible screen in full sun.
  5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The SE w600i has one that you can. In fact, just yesterday I was using it outside (it was a gorgeous day) and could see the screen just fine. I think it uses some sort of reflective screen so that sunlight doesn't wash it out. I say this because you can't see the backlight in the sun (obviously) but the pixels are still visible because the sun provides the light.
  6. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    iPods use a semi-reflective screen, which is why you can see them just fine (readable but poor color accuracy) in bright sunlight with the backlight not even needed. (Compared to a laptop whose screen looks 95% black in strong light.) I assume the iPhone will work the same way.

The reason some devices do NOT use this kind of screen is that it makes the backlight dimmer--less light gets though from behind. Not good for a laptop.

Sorry I don't have the technical terms handy :)