Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
The FaceBook interface that shows up in Safari is pretty nice as it is... what more would people want a stand-alone app provide?

Consider the idea of a Facebook app that pushes telephone numbers / e-mail addresses / real addresses from your friend's profiles to your iPhone & Address Book. It would still be private because they would have to accept your friend request, but it would save you the trouble of manually updating friends' contacts. Hell yeah.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Consider the idea of a Facebook app that pushes telephone numbers / e-mail addresses / real addresses from your friend's profiles to your iPhone & Address Book. It would still be private because they would have to accept your friend request, but it would save you the trouble of manually updating friends' contacts. Hell yeah.

That would be neat, yes. But I'd see that as a potential generic feature that could be added to Safari (maybe as a plug-in) rather than a specific "Facebook Viewer" app. That way you could push any addresses or phone numbers from any website, like Facebook, MySpace, the Yellow Pages, etc.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
What kind of limitations would the Objective C language and sandboxing create?

Objective-C is not a limitation at all except that not as many developers are familiar with it as some other languages. It's a very powerful, full-featured programming language and is used to write a great many of the best apps on the Mac.

As for sandboxing, that all remains to be seen because it will depend very much on the specifics of Apple's "sandboxing" implementation.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but my un-biased opinion on this is that Apple would give the SDK to a select few. Steve would need something to show at Macwolrd (where Apple will probably demo SDK-built programs) so, again, yes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If this is true we will probably get a sneak peak of a few apps in January for release on Feb. 28th.

2008 is a leap year, so the SDK will most likely come out on Friday the 29th of February. Right before my birthday!

I'm sure they will demo a few apps at Macworld--if not the next iPhone (less likely). Is anyone here a developer who has got their hot little hands on this SDK who could provide some more details? I've been out of programming for a few years since going to college to study photography and graphics design--but might just jump in to program some iPhone apps if it's open to anyone. I hope it's more like Visual Basic with prebuilt buttons, forms, etc that look like the iPhone UI so I don't have to design all those myself, which would take more time.

Also API's for integrating with the various features of the iPhone like the accelerometer would be great, especially if it included little modules to tweak the sensitivity for each app, etc. I can even think of using the proximity sensor or ambient light sensor to possibly make some interesting games. Also, access to some sort of library for core animation or whatever it uses to create 3d games would be nice. The PSP has lower specs, so it should be possible (though not sure about the iPhone's video chip / polygons/s numbers) Oh, the possibilities!

spimp31

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2003
Isn't it likely then that if the SDK is already in the hands of some developers, that it will get leaked to the general public? If the SDK is out there and available, doesn't that eliminate the need to jailbreak for apps? The average user could use the SDK to transfer their apps to the iPhone without any kind of modification to their phone.

I had to replace my iPhone and am running 1.1.2, and haven't wanted to deal with a messy jailbreak procedure (even though it doesn't look all that challenging). However, with the iTunes unlocking in Germany and this news today, it seems sooner rather than later jailbreaking the iPhone is going to be a non-issue and you can freely add all the apps you want, presumably bypassing any certification process Apple plans to use.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
February has never seemed so far away.

C'mon Apple, this must mean that the SDK is coming sooner. (please, please, please!!!)

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007

Electronista claims that Apple has already started seeding an early version of the iPhone SDK (software development kit) to a few select developers.

The kit is described as "rough versions" of the tools that allow developers to create native applications for the iPhone and iPod touch. Electronista is unable to provide many details on the development kit, but claims it "somewhat resembles Google's OpenSocial in that it mediates between the programmer and the iPhone operating system."

They do claim that there are "clear limits" applied to applications but that even so, at least one major social networking site is interested in creating a native iPhone interface to their site.

Article Link

Just give me the ability to hook up to our Exchange Servers without having to ask IT to do any changes on their end. Have that and iPhone will take off in the business world. Well soon as they add copy and paste, search, To Do, saving documents and some other little tidbits missing.

emccus01

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Enterprise server will be coming soon

To the response of an earlier poster take a look at this link. http://www.htlounge.net/articles/4627/1/ATT-is-aiming-to-market-a-more-business-oriented-iPhone

I can't wait for a business oriented iphone with business apps. My company has a great corporate discount with cingular and hopefully they will offer that discount later on. Also, we only support blackberry with our enterprise servers so hopefully I could find a way to have my iphone added one day. I'm very excited but like everyone else want things to move faster.

Ed

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Really hoping for OmniFocus to show up on the iPhone. Then I will buy one, whether they are available (by then) for business accounts or not.

St.S.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Isn't it likely then that if the SDK is already in the hands of some developers, that it will get leaked to the general public? If the SDK is out there and available, doesn't that eliminate the need to jailbreak for apps? The average user could use the SDK to transfer their apps to the iPhone without any kind of modification to their phone.

A leaked SDK will allow you to develop for the iPhone but it won't unlock the phone to run code. That'll come in a firmware update at the same time.

Users will use iTunes, probably 7.6 or more likely 8.0 to transfer their apps to iPhone, but only after they've signed up for a certificate from Apple to prove who they are.

Still i'm up for a leaked SDK, if only so we can see what restrictions are in place.

M. :)

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Really hoping for OmniFocus to show up on the iPhone. Then I will buy one, whether they are available (by then) for business accounts or not.

In their forums, the Omni folks have dropped a number of hints that they're working on a native solution for the iPhone. The iphone SDK seems to be one of the reasons they stopped working on a 'web interface' solution.

Can't wait!

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I was wondering when they'd start to offer this.

I've been considering an ADC upgrade to higher levels, but the discount will likely not apply to iPhones or iPod Touches, which would help my development by owning all possible devices my games/apps will run on.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
There is no doubt in my mind that some of the bigger companies already have the SDK.

spookje

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Flash was created by Macromedia (which was acquired for 4.5Billion USD in 2004 by Adobe), so wouldn't Adobe be responsible for any Flash products?

:p

and yes, it's up to Adobe to make it work...

Nope, it's up to Apple to share it with their customers. Flash for the iPhone already works nicely. Only Apple wants to promote there own technologies (like Quicktime, and Core Animation) instead. One of the reasons why you should keep bugging Apple about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.