Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I cant believe after this long the SE is still on a 2-3 weeks despatch time in the UK, thats a 3-4 week delivery by the time it gets from China. Is this because it is selling like hot cakes or because Apple have just sold a few more than expected and didn't have the supply chain in place for a higher demand. Or could it be that they are trying to sort all the build quality problems out, i have owned two now and sent both of them back for various quality problems and decided to stick with my 6s for now even though i don't really like it that much, but i am not prepared to but up with the cheapness of the SE. I am hoping they are sorting the build quality problems out then i can buy another one.
Ugh, that's depressing. Jeez, it's based on the 5s which has been around for a few years now. I would have hoped they could have the bugs worked out by now.

I'm tired of these issues with Apple. They are getting sloppy on a variety of fronts now.

For example such is the scenario outlined to my husband when he called his business contacts at the Apple Store: I can do the trade-in of my old phone online. It will be perhaps a couple of weeks and I will get a gift certificate to the Apple Store which can NOT be used for online purchases. They recommended we order online. But...can't use the gift card toward that purchase. That does not sound cool at all.

That's what he was told by a rep that is placed to deal with business customers and has been there awhile. However, the web site indicates the usual gift card can definitely be used online. So is the gift card I would get from my trade somehow different. Which is it? Confusing as hell.

So out of curiosity at this point, I'm going to be following up on my own to verify what my online options truly are. But either way, I won't be able to get the smaller iPhone I want before my hiking trip and will be stuck lugging the big phone around again this year. I'll be wasting weeks for stuff to come via snail mail unless it turns out I can get them to issue me an email version of the card for trade. At this point I'm not sure I want to bother.

No matter how you slice it, it is more steps than it should be to figure out exactly what and how I can accomplish what I want. And all because the brick and mortar stores only carry cases, watch bands, and older stuff these days.

It is aggravating beyond belief to be told time and time again well over a month after new product releases to order online. It's aggravating that the store employees themselves don't seem well versed in the options they present to customers. Some heads need to roll.

It used to be exciting to go to the Apple Store. You couldn't tear the kids away from the computer set-ups with the squashy seats. The new releases were there within a couple of days or even a reasonable couple of weeks after launch. You could buy things while they still felt new.

And gasoline was only fifty cents a gallon and a cup of coffee was only ten cents a cup and we used to walk ten miles to school in the snow among the grazing brontosaurus. I know I know, I sound like an old fart. ;)

Reactions: radiohead14

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Well it's a theory, but there's no way to prove it. I personally don't see the logic in it at all. For the exact reasons Retired Cat posted.
The logic is profit maximisation. Apple didnt get rich by fulfilling all your needs only.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The logic is profit maximisation. Apple didnt get rich by fulfilling all your needs only.
They got rich focusing on the product and customer experience of their product. And by being different from all the bean counting companies.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
They got rich focusing on the product and customer experience of their product. And by being different from all the bean counting companies.

Preseumably you read and understand the word I typed: "only".

The rest of the formula includes acheiving specific price points and gross margin percentages.

You can sit there waiting for the flood of 64GB Iphone SE. It wont be forthcoming. With good reason....like....quarterly results targets.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Preseumably you read and understand the word I typed: "only".

The rest of the formula includes acheiving specific price points and gross margin percentages.

You can sit there waiting for the flood of 64GB Iphone SE. It wont be forthcoming. With good reason....like....quarterly results targets.
I'm not saying Apple isn't doing what you're saying they are doing. I'm saying they've changed, and maybe if the change is intentional it will serve them to hit targets in the short term, as you say, but as a long term business strategy it's illogical and short sighted.

It used to be possible to get their products in the stores in a reasonable amount of time. Steve would announce the product and Tim was then the logistics guy who managed to run a just-in-time system that got the product to the customer when Steve said it would be available. They had at least one snafu I can remember with white iPhones, due to a problem with the color not being right, and that caused a delay which at the time caused quite an outcry. But these delays were the exception, not the business plan. Now it seems such outrageous delays are becoming the norm. It is garnering negative press and negative word of mouth. And giving opportunities for competitors to lure disgruntled empty-handed customers.

The hype was because the design and execution were top notch compared to the competiton. People were excited to be the first to get them. Many of us still are, but now we can't get them...even months later in the case of the laptop my husband wanted. He ended up getting a Microsoft Surface of some sort instead. He did eventually get the Apple laptop he wanted but it was through business contacts. Regular customers were still having problems getting them. I know some people went to the Surface Pro and stayed there. So much for drumming up business from those folks.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Apple didn't make a single mistake when estimating public demand for the SE. Don't look now, but its Apple laughing all the way to the bank.

Given that Apple stock has lost 20% of its value in the past month due to disappointing earnings and a developing negative trend in iPhone sales, I doubt very much that anyone at Apple is laughing.

A booked sale is better than no sale at all. If people are walking out of Apple Stores without having purchased the item they wanted because it was unavailable, that's a lost sale.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Given that Apple stock has lost 20% of its value in the past month due to disappointing earnings and a developing negative trend in iPhone sales, I doubt very much that anyone at Apple is laughing.

A booked sale is better than no sale at all. If people are walking out of Apple Stores without having purchased the item they wanted because it was unavailable, that's a lost sale.
I think it does make the stores look awfully bad. How absurd is it to have these "meticulously designed";) displays, have the friendly sales staff happily show you how fabulous the device is, only to say "Sorry, we don't have it in. Don't know when we will get it in, but you can order online or...oh look, about two hours drive way, if you hurry, they have it in the color you don't really want." :confused:

Apple retail people in my experience are a cut above those I run into at other retailers. So I hate to see them put in an awkward position with their customers. They do genuinely look pained when they have to break the bad news that there is no stock. It's kind of cute how happy they look when they can send you home with something. They even look happy when they aren't the one who pulled the item out of the back room for you. So I'm assuming they aren't on commission and just like to see Apple stuff sell. (Yikes I just read an article about what it's like to be an employee at an Apple Store--reminds me of a job I once had. Not much in the way of pay and incentives, they genuinely are that enthusiastic).

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007

This. Apple has lost many sales with the lack of iPhone SE availability. I was so set in buying an SE but all that was available was 16 GB Rose Gold at my Apple Store. So I walked out. After trying an acquaintance's iPhone SE, it seems the SE is only 8% faster than my 5S.

Now I just might wait a year and a half for the iPhone 8 with the rumored glass form factor.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This. Apple has lost many sales with the lack of iPhone SE availability. I was so set in buying an SE but all that was available was 16 GB Rose Gold at my Apple Store. So I walked out. After trying an acquaintance's iPhone SE, it seems the SE is only 8% faster than my 5S.

Now I just might wait a year and a half for the iPhone 8 with the rumored glass form factor.
The SE can do Live Photos and Apple Pay and has a longer battery life...significantly longer if your 5S is anything like mine and the battery is past its prime. The main camera is much better specced, too. I'm not sure if any of that interests you, but it's something to consider when the stores finally get them in stock.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The SE can do Live Photos and Apple Pay and has a longer battery life...significantly longer if your 5S is anything like mine and the battery is past its prime. The main camera is much better specced, too. I'm not sure if any of that interests you, but it's something to consider when the stores finally get them in stock.
I've only used Apple Pay once. It was neat, but so few places I go to even offer it. It would be easy to live without. Battery life on my SE is longer than my 5s, but my 5s got enough battery life still to last me a day, and I could have saved the money on the purchase of an SE and just replaced the battery. I turned Live Photos off. The camera is also a little better, but not enough to justify upgrading.

Honestly, after using my iPhone SE, I would be perfectly fine with going back to an iPhone 5s. The 5s is so very capable, even 2½ years after initial release. The main reasons I don't regret upgrading to an iPhone SE is the extra storage (went from 16GB in my 5s to 64GB in my SE) and LTE bands. I didn't get Sprint's lower spectrum LTE band on my Verizon 5s, which is critical for network coverage. All the upgrades are nice, and tabs NEVER reload in the background on my iPhone SE, but I would still be happy using a 5s after the SE.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
whats the difference between "ships to store" and "unavailable for pickup"? does that just mean ship to store models are sold out, while unavailable for pickup are in stock at the store, they just wont let you do personal pickup?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Well, I have to wait about 2-3 weeks for new shipment of iPhone SE to Poland. Every reseller (we don't have official Apple Store and Siri working in our language...) and apple.com do not have these phones for sale (out of stock obviously)
Sometimes you can find Rose Gold or Gold on our copy of eBay but most of them have UK charges so I give up :-D

Anyways don't worry, not only you are having that problem :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Please stop the bickering, a number of posts were removed as they were off topic.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
FYI, there are sellers on eBay unloading SIM-free ones for same cost as the phone+tax (well, NYC tax). So a few bucks shipping and you can get one quick. Mine arrived yesterday and is perfect. No jiggling buttons, no rattling camera.

Upgraded (ha) from a 6S Plus and I freaking love it. Do I miss the big screen? Sure, but not as much as I love easily pocketing it, not having to take it out of my pocket when sitting down, using it on the subway, using it walking around, the light weight, etc, etc. :)

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
In some ways, the SE was a concession on Apple's part.

One of the biggest was Apple tapping into all the 4/4s/5/5s/5c owners who didn't buy into the 4.0" (and larger) phones. Too many owners to disregard and Apple wasn't inclined to wait them out and have them buy the 6/6s only when their old batteries bit the dust.

Also, by offering a less expensive iPhone...they get to test those waters too.

Changing times ahead with the smartphone market reaching saturation points in many markets. Really, what new features can Apple do to wow us?
Agree with you on the concession part. However, I don't think it's just the people who hadn't bought them yet that they were conceding to. For example I already owned a 5 and then a 5S, bought a 6 plus too, but found that it really wasn't anywhere near as nice to carry with me, so I tend to leave that one at home for watching youtube videos, but as my regular mainstay phone I still much prefer the 4.0 inch size. So many customers actually expressed this to apple, they listened, and next thing you know, out came the iPhone SE (which my spouse bought) and while my 5S is still good and is still the one I use (so I get where you're coming from on the whole replace-ability pointy you made, because it's true that even people like me who tend to buy the new one each time a new feature comes out still reaches a point where they don't necessarily need to do that every year without having too many iPhones, but it will still inevitably happen again in the future, no doubt.)

But a key point that I really want to hit home (especially if Apple happens to be reading this) is that I know for a fact that the next iPhone I buy will be the 4.0 inch model size, and not the bigger ones, and apparently I'm far from the only one who feels that way. (Not knocking the bigger iPhones, as they do have their place) but for portability reasons (which is the whole point of a SmartPhone rather than a tablet), I still will always favor the 4.0" size. They are as easy to use as the bigger ones anyway, but the nicest size to always have with you. Even though the 6/6S was "almost" the same size, I still prefer the build of all the 4.0" 5/5S/5C/SE models. Oddliy enough (and I may have many people disagree with me here on this) but I also actually prefer the thickness of those models. They just feel far more robust to me than the newer thinner models. I know the whole bendgate thing was fake, as my 6 plus definitely didn't have that problem. But I don't mind announcing publicly for Apple's benefit that not only does just going thinner and thinner not float everyone's boat, I'd even go a step further and say that there reaches a point of diminishing returns where thinner just starts feeling less solid, so can actually be a detriment.

For all the above reasons, I honestly and genuinely believe that they reached perfection with the size and thickness of the 4.0 inch models. (obviously best not to stop doing the other sizes, as there are definitely people who love those too, and I may even replace my larger home device too from time to time) but I'd urge apple to never get rid of the 4.0 inch sizes, as that's the size I will always be replacing my iPhones for as my mainstay devices whenever new ones come out, so always worth keeping them in the permanent lineup.

Last edited:

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Agree with you on the concession part. However, I don't think it's just the people who hadn't bought them yet that they were conceding to. For example I already owned a 5 and then a 5S, bought a 6 plus too, but found that it really wasn't anywhere near as nice to carry with me, so I tend to leave that one at home for watching youtube videos, but as my regular mainstay phone I still much prefer the 4.7 inch size. So many customers actually expressed this to apple, they listened, and next thing you know, out came the iPhone SE (which my spouse bought) and while my 5S is still good and is still the one I use (so I get where you're coming from on the whole replace-ability pointy you made, because it's true that even people like me who tend to buy the new one each time a new feature comes out still reaches a point where they don't necessarily need to do that every year without having too many iPhones, but it will still inevitably happen again in the future, no doubt.)

But a key point that I really want to hit home (especially if Apple happens to be reading this) is that I know for a fact that the next iPhone I buy will be the 4.7 inch model size, and not the bigger ones, and apparently I'm far from the only one who feels that way. (Not knocking the bigger iPhones, as they do have their place) but for portability reasons (which is the whole point of a SmartPhone rather than a tablet), I still will always favor the 4.7" size. They are as easy to use as the bigger ones anyway, but the nicest size to always have with you. Even though the 6/6S was "almost" the same size, I still prefer the build of all the 4.7" 5/5S/5C/SE models. Oddliy enough (and I may have many people disagree with me here on this) but I also actually prefer the thickness of those models. They just feel far more robust to me that the newer thinner models. I know the whole bendgate thing was fake, as my 6 plus definitely didn't have that problem. But I don't mind announcing publicly for Apple's benefit that not only does just going thinner and thinner not float everyone's boat, I'd even go a step further and say that there reaches a point of diminishing returns where thinner just starts feeling less solid, so can actually be a detriment.

For all the above reasons, I honestly and genuinely believe that they reached perfection with the size and thickness of the 4.7 inch models. (obviously best not to stop doing the other sizes, as there are definitely people who love those too, and I may even replace my larger home device too from time to time) but I'd urge apple to never get rid of the 4.7 inch sizes, as that's the size I will always be replacing my iPhones for as my mainstay devices whenever new ones come out, so always worth keeping them in the permanent lineup.

What are you talking about? In fact the Iphone 5/5S/5C/SE is a 4" screen. It is the 6/6S that is 4.7"
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/22/comparison-iphone-se-6-6s-plus-specs/
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I suspect the lower price point has created a huge secondary market resell to other countries. The fact it's a SE is less important than it's an iPhone.

Please don't interpret the last sentence as any comment on the SE itself. Played with one, and it was a nice piece of kit. I couldn't distinguish the "chamfer debate" even though I tried to figure it out.

As a side note: I always line up all the iPhones I see and run the same video clip off Trailers. If pushed, I'd say the 6/6+ screens were better. I'm not sure I could prove it in a blind test (although my ego swears it could.) I know technically they are which probably influences what my brain thinks my eyes see.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
What are you talking about? In fact the Iphone 5/5S/5C/SE is a 4" screen. It is the 6/6S that is 4.7"
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/22/comparison-iphone-se-6-6s-plus-specs/
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
Sorry, you're absolutely right. (I meant the 4.0 inch of the 5/5S/5C/SE, not the 4.7 inch of the 6/6S). -That'll teach me to post before I've had my first coffee! lol. Anyways, I have now edited my previous post to correct this, so should now make sense. But thankyou for making me aware of my mistake.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
it is possible that Apple isnt trying too hard with this phone because really it is a placeholder.

I would think that within a year they have a lineup of three phones:
- Iphone Pro in 5.5" and 5" sizes, with no hardware button, in the current design style
- Iphone SE in 4" size, in a shrunk-down version of the current design style, but retaining the hardware button

The current Iphone SE in the old school design will be gone.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
it is possible that Apple isnt trying too hard with this phone because really it is a placeholder.

- Iphone Pro in 5.5" and 5" sizes, with no hardware button, in the current design style
- Iphone SE in 4" size, in a shrunk-down version of the current design style, but retaining the hardware button

Seems logical. Usually alot of what's logical and predicable does tend to happen to some extent, and then they throw in the odd little surprise curveball just to keep everything fresh. So should to be interesting to see what the next little surprise bit will be when it happens.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
I got my iPhone SE on May 5th when I arrived in Hong Kong and lined up outside an Apple Store 5 min after it opened. Felt lucky that they had enough stock that morning.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

We have not any leaks or rumors of this new 4" iPhone, so i doubt we will see anything in September, but 2017? Good bet.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Seems like a new batch has been delivered to the east coast apple stores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.