iPhone SE Case Renderings From Spigen Support iPhone 5s-Style Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We're just two weeks away from the rumored launch date of the 4-inch "iPhone SE," but due to mixed rumors and a lack of part leaks, we still don't know exactly what the device will look like. Rumors suggest an iPhone 5s-style body with an iPhone 6-style curved glass front panel, two concepts that are difficult to merge.

Design drawings and early case leaks out of China haven't been helpful thus far, also offering up conflicting information on the final design, but renderings from an established, well-known case manufacturer may help shed some light on what we can expect.

Spigen is an accessory company that often has some of the first cases available for new iOS devices, and the iPhone SE is no exception. The company is working on cases for the 4-inch iPhone, and case renderings obtained by MacRumors suggest Spigen expects a design that's nearly indistinguishable from the iPhone 5s.

[​IMG]

The device continues to have the same general shape as the iPhone 5s, with round volume buttons, a power button located at the top of the device, and a pill-shaped flash. Design drawings have suggested the iPhone SE could perhaps have a camera that protrudes slightly, something that can't be determined from the Spigen renderings.

Spigen's cases wrap around the front of the screen, making it unclear how the display of the iPhone SE differs from the display of the iPhone 5s. The edges of the iPhone SE are also not visible, so any slight differences in curvature would be difficult to determine from the rendering.

MacRumors has heard from multiple well-known case manufacturers that the iPhone SE will be the same size as the iPhone 5s, several of whom have been confident in that assessment, but how that ultimately meshes with rumors of an iPhone 6-style display remains to be seen.

[​IMG]

Early cases are often accurate and serve as a solid indicator of what an upcoming iOS device might look like, but on occasion, case makers get design details wrong. As mentioned above, we have seen iPhone SE cases with distinctly different styles, so there is some disagreement on design between accessory makers.

Spigen's position as a well-known case manufacturer with a lot to lose may mean the company has put more resources into sussing out the look of the iPhone SE, but given all of the conflicting information, the design of the device may remain in question until it debuts on March 21.

Article Link: iPhone SE Case Renderings From Spigen Support iPhone 5s-Style Design

2. ReneR macrumors regular

3. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

the phone will resemble all previous iphones. there will be very few if any cosmetic differences

4. vmistery macrumors 6502

Perhaps there have been few cases leaked because the 5s cases will all fit?

5. Cuban Missles macrumors 68040

Cuban Missles

I loved the 5s. I also thought that it fit way better in my hand than the 6s. Given my age and my eyes I probably wont go back down to the 4" screen, but I did like it way more than my wife's 5c.

6. mbh1976 macrumors regular

Power button is on the top. All is well in the world.

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I'm sure it will look fine...just put the modern gubbins in a smaller iPhone, and I'll retire my 4s.

8. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Psshh..why would anybody want their brand spanking new iPhone SE be wrapped up in a case and mistaken for a regular 5 or 5S.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Spingen is a serious company, so this rumors could be true...
    I don't know if it's a good news or a bad one

10. TC03 macrumors 65816

Huh? Nothing difficult about it. What's so difficult?

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Legit those are 5s cases.

I also kinda think the volume buttons are gonna be like the 6 volume buttons not circles.

12. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

13. naeS1Sean, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

14. RonK99 macrumors newbie

RonK99

I think it makes sense to keep the same design if they are trying to keep costs and price down. They already have tooling for much of the parts etc.

15. 2ilent8cho macrumors regular

Not much for the cases, but still hoping this phone exists! The sale of my iPhone 6 will hopefully cover the bulk of the cost and i can have a phone that works in 1 hand again.

16. Shmoo macrumors regular

Shmoo

Renderings and concepts are the new rumors.

If you can play around with 3D rendering software you're news.

17. pat500000 macrumors 601

pat500000

I never liked Spigen case. It actually bends iphone 6 plus.

18. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

That's a shame.

Maybe the iPhone SE is just a revised iPhone 5s (that's half the price of the iPhone 5s right now), and there really is a new 4-inch iPhone that has an iPhone 6s design that's on par with the iPhone 6 (or even the 6s). Apple taking the gamble most 4-inch wanters will go for the higher priced redesigned model, and the SE model will be more for emerging markets.

19. frisken macrumors member

So what exactly does distinguish this case from an iPhone 5/5s case?

20. Ballis macrumors 6502a

I love it. So long they stray far from the 6 design, Im sold. Dont want no protruding cam neither.

21. T Coma macrumors member

T Coma

Cool. Fingers crossed for that phone size and good battery life.

5segif.gif

22. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

As much as I loved the design of the 4/4s/5/5s, I wouldn't spend an "Apple price" on a device that looks so old already. Yes, I hate to be superficial, but I wouldn't want people to think I have an old iPhone. If you think about it, this design is 6 years old. It started with the iPhone 4 and then barely changed.

I want a small iPhone 6s/7 in iPhone 5s size, with the power button at the top. With rounded edges. In black. With the black leather case. That's what I want. The 6s would look good in 4", and I wouldn't even mind the antenna bands, as ugly as they are, because I'd have the Apple leather case.

23. Dominion2009 macrumors member

Dominion2009

Don't think that's right. All leaks are ..A9, 12mp, bigger battery, Apple Pay/NFC, Touch ID. That's current flagship and NOT a budget phone.

24. jeffreyg macrumors member

jeffreyg

I'm hoping these rumours of a protruding camera are wrong too. The compact, smooth and easily pocketable nature of a "5" sized phone is part of it's appeal. If rumours of this design are correct otherwise, it sure isn't a thin phone by modern standards, and it would be surprising for it to get a better camera than the 6 phones. Can't see why a camera bump would be necessary. It sure wouldn't be desirable - I think the camera bump is one of the most meh aspects of the iPhone 6.

25. santydolby macrumors member

never have i purchased a brand new phone "when it's released" nor have i preordered any device.

i am about to do both now as my current 5C is giving me nightmares. can't wait for the purported 5SE, it ticks all the boxes that i care for!