iPhone "Settings" app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbl007, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

My daughter somehow created a second "settings" app on her iPhone 4. It is in its own Utilities folder on the second home page screen on her phone. The original Settings app is still sitting by itseld on the first home page. Does anyone know how she did that - more importantly - how can I delete the second setting app she mistakenly created. I tried and it won't let me delete it.

2. ECUpirate44, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Wow this is a new one... Does the second settings app function like the original?

3. macrumors 68000

1080p

Never seen that one before. Can you take the Settings app out of the folder and put it side by side with the other one and then take a screen cap and post it here?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The second app functions just like the original settings app. I can move the folder around but it won't let me move the app out of the folder. Can't delete the app or the folder. Connected the phone to iTunes to look for a way to delete in on the computer - no luck there either. I will attempt to upload and the screen caps to this post reply.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors newbie

try a hard reset(hold power switch & home button) for 10-15 seconds) & let go when the apple appears.. you can also try restoring from a back up file in itunes.. that could clear it up as well.. are both icons letting u access the settings out of curiosity?

6. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Will the folder allow you to add another utility app (i.e. Stocks)? You could try that and then see if you can take the Settings icon out of the folder.

I'd try the Reset instructed in the post above first.

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

this forum is dedicated. any other phone forum im on would have had something to say about good old justin on the wallpaper.

as for the original question, i have never seen this before. im curious myself about an answer. did she say how it happened or what she was doing when it appeared?

8. lelisa13p, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

It's his daughter's phone. :)

9. vastoholic, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's not even the Bieb's is it?

Back to the topic actually. Did you ask her how she created it? I'd kind of like to know if it's possible to recreate this phenomenon.

10. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Reboot the phone.

11. macrumors 6502

It's Liam from One Direction.

12. macrumors 68040

bandofbrothers

Personally I'd find it useful to have a settings app on another home screen.

If its not causing issues then why not keep it

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Tea-Aholic is right (had to check with my daughter, though) the wallpaper is Liam from One Direction. (I thought it was Josh Hutcherson from Hunger Games)

My daughter told me that it happened when she was trying to move the Settings app to another page and as she was moving it, things started to move around a little too quickly for her and when she "let go" of the settings app, a new Utilities folder appeared with the second Setting app in the folder. And the first one stayed right where it was before she tried to move it.

The good news is - thanks to the suggestion from tboyd37 above to perform a hard reset - the unwanted second Settings app and folder are now gone!

Thanks to all that offered help and suggestions. It is much appreciated.

14. macrumors newbie

Regarding iPhone 4s

I don't understand that what is the issue with your iPhone app settings, can you please elaborate the problem further more?

15. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Check out the first post. There was a duplicate 'Settings' app icon on the device which is actually a bug with iOS. A simple reset of the device usually fixes it.