iPhone showing "No service"... but there is.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johneaston, Jul 7, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Several times over the last couple of weeks my 3GS has had prolonged periods of "No service" even though I usually get signal in the area.

The other day, desparately needing to send a text and tried to send one - it went through. I then receieved a reply and sent another, all the time with the phone showing "No service". I restarted my phone and then had 4 bars.

Is this a bug? Anyone else had this?

2. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It could be your sim card. Swap it out for a new and see if the problem persists.

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors member

Go to Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings. This will most likely provide you with a temporary fix to allow you to send a text or make a call, though your phone will probably begin to have the same issue in a few hours.

I had this problem with my phone last year and it eventually fixed itself, making me believe it was my service provider.

5. macrumors 68020

awadeee

It happens to me very seldomly. When it happens, try turning Airplane Mode on until the "Carrier" tab underneath disappears completely. Turn Airplane Mode off and allow the phone to search for service.

If the problem happens often, try restoring your iPhone with iTunes or getting a new SIM card.

6. macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I have the same, I also have a shocking signal sometimes, even though I'm in a strong signal zone. I'm with Orange.