Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
That's essentially what I was getting at, thanks! Now comes another question, when I reactivate with new SIM via iTunes would I be forced to extend my contract?

No you will not be forced to extend the contract.

I put a blank sim card into my iPhone, plugged it into iTunes. I expected some type of activation screen but I got nothing. How does one force the Activation screen? AND - are we SURE the old (good) iPhone SIm will not be DE-activated upon doing this?

You may have to actually restore the phone, in order to ask it to reactivate. My SIM went bad the same time I was getting the phone replaced via Apple Care, so that was the only time I had to reactivate my phone.

As for the deactivation, it WILL Deactivate your old SIM. This whole process would only be advisable if you are willing to forgo 3G access on your iPhone when using the iPad. Otherwise, you would have to invest in some sort of SIM cloner to do otherwise, as both SIMs would need the same ID code to work properly.

TEG

jagster936

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
TEG: So your saying I can activate the ipad sim in my iphone by hooking it up to itunes? I doubt this will work but I will try, have the micro sim on order :). I just want my 3g iphone to have daaaata for cheap! (I don't have an iphone plan have company blackberry which is a disgrace of an internet)

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
TEG: So your saying I can activate the ipad sim in my iphone by hooking it up to itunes? I doubt this will work but I will try, have the micro sim on order :). I just want my 3g iphone to have daaaata for cheap! (I don't have an iphone plan have company blackberry which is a disgrace of an internet)

No, that won't work. What we were talking about is activating iPad's micro SIM on an existing iPhone data account. Essentially, we're placing iPhone's stock SIM with iPad's SIM, but the data plan stays the same.

jagster936

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Hmm well I am going to try to call ATT with the sim and get them to activate it over the phone or something. Or maybe find someone with an ipad 3g and have them activate it or even do it in a best buy store lol.

None of this will work if its linked somehow to an IPAD IMEI or something :/ will see

Someone is bound to have tried this!

jurmala

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
iPad on Rogers

Also want to confirm that I got my Rogers sim card to work in the iPad no problem after being cut to the right size. So any Canadians wondering if there sims will work, the answer is yes..

Hi marcovortex,

Did you use usual settings for APN and User/Password or something different?
Were you able to browse internet everywhere or only limited to the Rogers Portal?

Please let me know - any info would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Sorry to revive this, and if it is being discussed elsewhere please let me know. The idea is you can use the sim card in either the iPad or the iPhone but not both at the same time. Is this correct, so you will be 'without phone' if iPhone is your only cell (like no work cell).

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry to revive this, and if it is being discussed elsewhere please let me know. The idea is you can use the sim card in either the iPad or the iPhone but not both at the same time. Is this correct, so you will be 'without phone' if iPhone is your only cell (like no work cell).

correct but if you jailbreak the ipad I can almost guarentee theyll get the phone functions working. so it wouldnt be ideal. (talking on ipad) but you wont miss any calls atleast. im bummed I didnt get the 3g ipad. cause I never talk on the phone so putting my iphone sim in the ipad would allow me to text from it and surf natively without going thru my phone and draining the battery. all without paying att anymore.

jagster936

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Hmm so I got the ipad sim and put in my iphone and the ATT network does come up, but it says no cellular data network available or whatever. I need to find a way to activate this sim without having an ipad! Any ideas? Besides going to bestbuy and sneakily putting it in an ipad and activating it there lol

jagster936

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I called them and they won't do it over the phone lol, just gotta find a way to do it, somehacker needs to create a script that will mirror what is on ipad!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I may be wrong but isn't the 3G chip basically "cell radio"? I'm thinking the only thing stopping the iPad from making calls is lack of the actual phone app. That is if you use your cut iPhone's sim card in it and not the built in sim card/plan.

lack of a phone app and the phone hardware of course...

I'm slow today. So basically someone has figured out how to circumvent paying for a second data plan? If I understand this correctly then maybe in due time I'll sell my wifi model and grab a 3G model.

Why not just tether your current ipad with MyWi as you have stated you use? Seems to be the easier and cheaper route:eek:

lionelhuts

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
iPhone is LOCKED device and the only way to enable the "APN Settings" to show on there is to jailbreak the phone + Unlock it... iPad is unlocked from factory...

CMIIW :)
Thanks for the heads up. I have an unlocked 2G iPhone, and I have access to APN settings. However, the settings are not like "phone" or "broadband" as they seem to be on the iPad. (I'm sorry if I have the iPad settings wrong as I do not own an iPad.)

So, assuming that I can get an activated iPad microSIM (and then use a microSIM to miniSIM adapter), I don't even know if I could get it working because I have no idea what to input in the iPhone's APN settings. Do you have any ideas?

I hope that made sense, and thanks.

PS
Here's a link to some screenshots of the iPhone's APN page:
http://km.support.apple.com/library...T2283-iphone_os_313-cellular_settings--en.png

sboyack

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
Cut my AT&T 3G Aircard SIM to fit an iPad but it did not work... Ideas?

I cut down my AT&T broadband card SIM down, put it in my iPad, changed the APN and it worked. Works pays for the broadband card that I never use so free 3G for me. I also taped the SIM back up and still works in my broadband card

Imsuperjp, can you provide more details?
Like you my work gives me an AT&T 3G card. I took the SIM out and cut it down to fit in an iPad 3G.

But when I powered up the iPad it came up and asked me to activate 3G service like it was a blank SIM card, even though this was my working SIM from my 3G USB card...

Any ideas what I did wrong? Did yours ask for an activation or anything or just work when you powered it up?

Thanks,
Steve

poppap

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Like you my work gives me an AT&T 3G card. I took the SIM out and cut it down to fit in an iPad 3G.

But when I powered up the iPad it came up and asked me to activate 3G service like it was a blank SIM card, even though this was my working SIM from my 3G USB card...

Any ideas what I did wrong? Did yours ask for an activation or anything or just work when you powered it up?

Thanks,
Steve

In your case since you use the SIM from 3G card that means you should have the tethering plan. You need to change the APN in cellular setting to

Code:
isp.cingular

Let me know if it works.

sboyack

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
In your case since you use the SIM from 3G card that means you should have the tethering plan. You need to change the APN in cellular setting to

Code:
isp.cingular

Let me know if it works.

I will have to find/borrow another 3G iPad to try it again.
I'm not sure what you mean that I "should have the tethering plan", as AT&T does not offer tethering.

Can you clarify what you meant?
Thanks

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101

Thanks,
Steve

I got the same message as well. Once you put your modified sim in the ipad, give it 5 min or so to actually work. You'll see "AT&T" and bars and everything, but you may not immediately get data. Just wait a few minutes. When the message come up asking you to set up your cellular service, tap "later". After that, a few minutes later I was surfing Safari over 3G.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
For those who have air card and cut the sim. Just use the apn isp.cingular

Im using mine without any problems

Imsuperjp

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks,
Steve

Make sure you change the APN under cellular data

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Ferry quick and stupid question. After doing all of this, when I check my accept info (because u can check it there's a little button) and it says this sim is not ment for this product. (data still works tho) is that normal?

poppap

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Ferry quick and stupid question. After doing all of this, when I check my accept info (because u can check it there's a little button) and it says this sim is not ment for this product. (data still works tho) is that normal?

This is normal as that function is only for the sim that came with iPad.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Hi marcovortex,

Did you use usual settings for APN and User/Password or something different?
Were you able to browse internet everywhere or only limited to the Rogers Portal?

Please let me know - any info would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

What about a Rogers iPad SIM in iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.