iPhone iPhone SimFree FREE tool (iUnlock) released...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ascham87, Sep 11, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

ascham87

IMPORTANT
    Read this first before asking questions:

What we know (General):
    - The current Firmware (1.1.2) CANNOT be unlocked via the free unlocking software AnySim. It must be unlocked via a TurboSIM/SuperSIM/etc. (See the What if I have a 1.1.2 firmware iPhone? section below for more info on alternative unlocking measures.)
    - You can "fake" activate your iPhone and use it like an iPod touch with extra features.
    - You can (after a normal or "fake" activation) unlock your iPhone and use it with apparently a great deal of non-AT&T GSM carriers.
    - There is a GUI unlock program.
    - After a successful unlock, you cannot use visual voicemail on any network other than AT&T.
    - After a successful unlock, you can make and receive calls, use the internet, and use the other programs on the iPhone.
    - After a successful unlock, you need to change some preferences to use the unlocked provider's EDGE settings. (Note: You'll want a data plan so as not to kill yourself on the data fees.)
    - It has been tested to be working on the nearly all GSM carriers with virtually no problems. (Please feel free to message me with any carriers who are not working 100% with the unlock as long as it is a known CARRIER issue.)
    - This functionality becomes disabled with future software updates (This is not a 100% certainty, but has been the standard process since the beginning)

What we know (Firmware Specific):
    1.0.0-1.0.1:
    (Note: These are the oldest firmwares and are not the current firmwares loaded on iPhones sold. The odds of buying one of these would be very slim to none.)
    With that being said however, if you own one and never updated past 1.0.2, but are looking to unlock your iPhone, the process is relatively simple. However, as the odds of these being the ones needed to be unlocked is slim to none, I am not going to go in detail on the process here (sorry guys!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edge Settings:
    (Change these settings on the iPhone under Settings -> General -> Network -> Edge)

T-Mobile (USA)
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    username: Leave Blank
    password: Leave Blank

The Kudos
    Thanks to the entire dev team for their efforts! If you use this, please consider donating to the devs who made this possible. iPhone Dev Donations link

2. macrumors newbie

And still not possible to download :) His server is under a massive DoS - wonder why.. Anyone up for playing the mirror game? (I would if I could, but can't because I have to have something to mirror)

Seeing as people are smarter than me (surprise!) and uploads to rapidshare and alike, there's no reason I donate BW for it :)

3. macrumors 65816

Luis

There's a hell of a lot mirrors going up.... just be patient, the IRC is really going crazy.

4. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ok...its a .mov file when you unzip?

how do u use this? anyone know?

5. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

6. macrumors 65816

Luis

I think it is better to wait until the dust clears out... appears to be not really "not hacker" friendly...

7. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

u prop..just sync the thing as a video..somehow

and let it run!

8. macrumors 6502

I downloaded it but the file in the archive has no extension whatsoever. It's just iUnlock

9. macrumors P6

Peace

Until a readme comes out for this I wouldn't do anything yet.

10. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

we have no idea! lol

11. macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

its a tiny movie time bomb. When played all iPhones within a 10 meter radius explode.

12. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i think they should stickie this!

13. macrumors regular

You gotta SSH it into the phone root and then run it in WinSCP.

Sorta like how you do the screencap application.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

ascham87

You do however need 2 other files as well.

15. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Ahh, this whole situation reminds me of the good old days of cat an mouse with Direct Tv, and the 'modding' of their access cards!

16. thread starter macrumors regular

ascham87

Except that it was blatantly illegal and what most with ethics would call "stealing". :) Plus, this isn't very cat and mouse, Apple doesn't give a crap, AT&T is just a means to an end for them to get their phone out. Apple is known to "crap" on partners, I wouldn't be surprised if they do little to stop this.

17. macrumors member

well its not a .dmg, .sit, .zip or .rar file.

gotta wait for the writeup.

update:
    seems that it is a zip although its not recognized with stuff it. maybe the file i got was incomplete.

udpate:
    the file is easily downloadable at the iphone dev wiki page but its only 6.3kb and there aren't any instructions...
    plus i thought they werent going to reverse engineer it anyway.... guess with steve saying they wont protect against a hack they decided to give up the ghost.

18. macrumors member

There are higher crimes going on in society happening EVERYDAY that ppl aren't nearly as vocal about as when someone decides to crack software or get DAVE on their TV without paying.

19. macrumors regular

20. macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

21. macrumors 65816

where are the minicom and minirc.dfl files that he writes about?

why didn't the dev team release these files also. and why did they release only a single "iUnlock" file...?

22. macrumors member

23. macrumors regular

the zip archive containing them is linked to the page i posted above with the instructions.

here it is: http://rapidshare.com/files/55052219/iphoneUnlock.zip.html

24. macrumors 6502

vega: You can download everything right on his site. It works! :D

The usage of the file should be clear to anyone who has done the old hardware unlock method. Those instructions are VERY noob-friendly -- use it!

25. macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I found on the Hackint0sh forums their offical guide to using the free iPhone unlock:
    The original link to this (site is slow at the moment) is here:
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5799