iPhone SMS Management Utility: Syphone Beta

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Micromat has a utility called Syphone which is a freeware Mac application that lets you view, save and backup your SMS messages.

A beta is presently available for download. Requires Mac OS X 10.4 or greater

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

darwen

It is funny that this just got posted because I was looking for a way to save text messages yesterday and found this.

One thing I dont understand is if I need to be selecting and exporting them to ensure they are saved. Or are they just working off the backups? Is it already saved?

3. macrumors 6502

So, how many messages will the phone hold before I have to delete?

4. macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

The iPhone can hold 1000 individual text messages.

5. macrumors regular

I believe the (artificial) limit is 1000. This is still much better than my old RAZR V3i, which only held ~125 messages at a time, even less if the messages were long. :mad:

6. macrumors 6502

Why can't it be more then 1000 messages? My Sony Ericsson K800i can hold 1000 too, why so little? I have more then 2GB of space in it. Why can't it be stored there. And even the iPhone, it runs OSX!! 1000 is way to low, I can send 1000 SMS messages via Vodafone for 10eu a month. And every month I have to clean my inbox, which is reallyyyyyy annoying. I hope when I get an iPhone this is improved.!!!!

7. macrumors 68000

RichP

Just for nerd-dom... a max SMS message is 256 bytes or less, which means the iphone could hold well over 33.5 million messages. Thats a text message a second for 388 years.

Hope you like that touch keyboard!

8. macrumors 6502

Exactly, maybe there's some limit in the memory. When my Sony has alot of messages it slows down with the scrolling and opening and back. Maybe that's the reason.

9. macrumors newbie

yes there is a maximum limit... I have hit it and had to delete messages (and i wasn't out of space on my iphone)... Also this program doesn't seem to work with an hacked iphone because I can't get mine to recognize.

10. macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Well, my iphone isn't hacked in any way, shape or form and it doesn't recognize it, either. Very strange...

11. macrumors regular

It's quite odd why Apple chose to limit the amount of text messages you could hold to 1000... I'd be content with 2000 or so, even more if the limit was 5000.

12. macrumors 68020

Its because the texts are not stored on the flash drive. They are on a separate partition which is quite small and contains the critical phone stuff.

13. macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

My Blackberry has no limit on messages, its great. Just one reason to skip the iPhone :D

14. macrumors 65816

On the SIM card, perhaps?

15. macrumors 65816

Whats interesting is that screenshot shows EVERY message with its own timestamp, so the iPhone obviously logs this. Maybe its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to hack the iPhone to show every timestamp, if you wanted to. Ive certainly seen it complained about before!

16. macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Boy, I sure can't wait for February. Aw, yeah... gonna be crazy cool.
    'Til then, I'm always skeptical about how much Apple will mess with.
    The whole Notes/SQLite thing still irks me. It's like its so close to
    being easily manipulated, but just non-standard enough to give one pause.

~ CB

17. macrumors 6502a

I don't know why anyone would want to hold more than 1k messages...as if they were all meant to be kept.
    Good finding though.

18. macrumors 6502a

darwen

When it threads the messages.... you cant delete specific ones. Messages you want to delete pile on top of ones you want to keep. You cant delete one w/o deleting all of them.

19. macrumors regular

If the messages were stored on the SIM card, you would only be able to hold around 30. Trust me, I know from experiences with my V3i.

20. macrumors regular

Yuppi

Not every sim card has the same (small) amount of messages. They noticed that people have the need for a bigger storage. So it is possible to have storage for that amount of messages in the sim card.
    Btw. that could also be an explanation of the problems caused with foreign sim cards in legally unlocked phones.

21. macrumors member

It should definitely work, the program grabs the information from the iTunes SQLite DB backup .... after every time you sync it with your computer ...

22. macrumors 6502

Looks like a good piece of software, though i can't even get the disk image to mount :(

23. macrumors newbie

For all of those who are saying they can't get syphone to recognise their iphone, I just had the same problem myself. Had a look around a bit on different forum sites, and found this solution.

1. sync iphone through itunes
    2. eject iphone through itunes
    3. launch syphone
    4. In preferences, UNtick the run helper apps button, then tick it back on.

Step 4 caused my version of syphone to crash, but relaunched it, and then it worked fine. Try it and you should'nt have any problmems.

Enjoy!

24. macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. The archive seems to be corrupt. Why use bzip2 to compress a DMG files anyway, when DMGs have built in compression?

25. macrumors regular

wow, 1000, I thought it was a lot less. I have had to clear my inbox about six times, I text way too much.