iPhone software development: Is it worth it? $$$

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by floyde, Apr 3, 2009.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    Hi guys. Lately I've been thinking about starting a sort of "side business" with a buddy of mine, writing iPhone apps. My goal is not to make a living out of it, just to have an additional source of income. I've been working in software development for a few years now, so I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to make pretty decent apps in a reasonable time (if I come up with good ideas for apps, that is).

The idea became more and more attractive until I saw this:

"25,000 apps and counting"

I suppose that a big percentage of those are useless widget-like apps, but still, it seems like an incredibly saturated market.

So what do you guys think? Is iPhone development a nice way to get some extra cash? Or should I sell hot dogs on the street instead?
  2. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    Saturated, yes. But that doesn't mean you won't make money if you make some *quality* applications.
  3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

Apr 10, 2006
    Ellicott City, MD
    I know people making 10's of thousands of dollars a month, but do it full time. I have one non-free app that doesn't appeal to everyone and make only a few hundred dollars a month on that. I figured as long as I get back my $99 I paid to join + monthly bandwidth costs (the app relies on a server) then I'm fine. I do it for fun, others do it for money. I have a full time development job that pays better than doing iPhone apps full time. If your app is good and/or there's a market for it, you'll make money.
  4. bboyjayz macrumors member

Mar 20, 2009
    I agree with you : if you make great app, you'll have money.
    Do you know if there is a website or i don't know what, where we can see some statistics about some app, and people having bought this app, in one years for example ?

(sorry if you don't understand what i say, i'm french ... )