Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KateKup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
A few days ago a notification started popping up that said something about how some software was not compatible with my phone. When that began, the sound stopped working. The sound works when I plug in my headphones. It also still rings and the alarm works. It's just game sounds and music and things like that, that are not working. I haven't downloaded anything so I don't know what would have caused this. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

KateKup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I've been looking around on the site to see if anyone else has been having similar problems but so far no luck. I'm wondering though, since the speakers still work for the ringer and alarm, does that mean it's a software problem and not a hardware problem such as a wire being bent or something?

----------

It's an iPhone 3GS and I'm not sure about iOS or anything. I honestly don't know much about phones. I just know that a notification showed up saying the sound software wasn't compatible. I'm paraphrasing though because of course when I try to ask what's wrong with it, the notification stops popping up.

KateKup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
When I open iTunes on the phone it doesn't even give me an option to raise the volume. It's like the sound software doesn't evn exist for things like that. This is so frustrating.

rcnino

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
You can try going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. That might fix your issue.

Otherwise your best bet is a restore.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Can you show us a screen capture of the error? If you don't know how to do that, can you take a pic with a cell phone camera? What you are experiencing sounds like a driver issue, but I have never heard of that happening on an iPhone.

Alazar.kas

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Same here I was playing a game when suddenly the sound stopped working only earphones and speaker for phone calls work I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.1

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
First thing I would do is a restore through iTunes. If that doesn't work, I would bring it to the apple store for a replacement. But yeah, thanks for bumping a year old thread. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.