iPhone Tips from Pogue's iPhone: The Missing Manual

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

David Pogue, the New York Times columnist who was one of the journalists who reviewed the iPhone prior to its launch, published a preview of his iPhone: The Missing Manual with some tips and hints for iPhone usage.

Nothing particularly revealing, but of some interest for those waiting around for your iPhones to arrive.

2. Apple!Fre@k
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

That's a 300 page book and it's coming out in early August. With a minimum 4 month lead time to get the book in to the proper publishing channels, David Pogue must have had an iPhone in his possesion since March! Go, David! :)

3. ekeby
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

not necessarily 4 months . . . (I'm in the biz). Some mass market books have made it to print practically overnight. I suspect Pogue does his in Powerpoint or ID or some other program that facilitates page layout. And he's a seasoned journalist so likely to require little copyediting and far less editorial interference than the average author.

4. dgdosen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Add to that...

Those books also contain very little useful information...

5. mkrishnan
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Should I pretend like that's a shock, or keep it real?

6. dgdosen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I've got to add something...

This makes this whole thing much worse:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/30/technology/30online.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

The NYTimes will accuse Microsoft and marketers of a conflict of interest, yet see none for David Pogue, his books and his reviews of the iPhone.

Sure, call out MS for anything they do wrong - that's what the press should do. But to write this AND have Pogue's obvious conflict of interest under their noses is extremely hypocritical.

This is scary to me because - I'll admit - I used Pogue's and Mossberg's reviews to sway me to stand in line for an iPhone (which I don't regret) - but the potential for conflict of interest between companies like Apple and the press is frightening. We're talking what will be a billion dollar business! People have been bough off for a hell of lot less and everybody has a price. Who knows what will happen when Apple introduces their "Bob" product?

7. SLAPSHOTW
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

One tip I've found is that if you're in Safari and have scrolled down the page, do a quick tap on the time on the top of the screen to instantly scroll back up and get the address bar.

8. note235
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a