Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
From everyone experience, do you get better trade value for your old iPhone from going to an Apple store or using the service online on Apples site?

naptowngill2005

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Charlotte
From everyone experience, do you get better trade value for your old iPhone from going to an Apple store or using the service online on Apples site?
It was the same value for me they quoted me $375 for my iPhone 6+ online I went into the store they did the same

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
What I was told is that you have to use the trade in towards a new device, it can't be just a gift card to use for anything in the store if you do in an Apple Store. However if you mail the phone in your given a gift card to use on anything in an Apple Store...Really dumb rule set if you ask me.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

naptowngill2005

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Charlotte
What I was told is that you have to use the trade in towards a new device, it can't be just a gift card to use for anything in the store if you do in an Apple Store. However if you mail the phone in your given a gift card to use on anything in an Apple Store...Really dumb rule set if you ask me.
Well I actually preordered mine for delivery picked it up at UPS went to the Apple Store and gave them my iPhone 6+ and they gave me a gift card which I got a refund for which they credited on my credit card

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Well I actually preordered mine for delivery picked it up at UPS went to the Apple Store and gave them my iPhone 6+ and they gave me a gift card which I got a refund for which they credited on my credit card

This is in line with their policy. You didn't walk out the store with a gift card. It was used towards something that day.

bking10

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
There's no way I'd have sold my iphone 6 plus for 375. That's crazy.

Considering it's a lot less of a hassle than the other methods it could be worth it. The only other downside is that Apple appears to not give additional credit for storage size. so it's not really ideal for anyone other than 16GB users

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I just called the local Apple store and she said I could put it on an Apple Gift Card if I wanted to, but I have seen online from Brightstar that they want you to use it towards a purchase when you trade it in. Any one else have any expierence

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015

I preordered mine too and had it delivered from Apple. Has anyone been able to do this and get credit to your card that was used

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I traded in my old 5s at my Apple store Friday and they just gave me a gift card. Trade in value ($165 for 5s 16gb) was same online vs. in-store vs. Gazelle, so just did the quick and easy way.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I preordered mine too and had it delivered from Apple. Has anyone been able to do this and get credit to your card that was used

That they will do, they will take the phone and refund your card with the amount that was given for the phone. Receipt is needed.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina

I too do not understand this.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I would play the game, buy least expensive new device using the exchange amount and then return it. They want to make more paperwork for themselves play along. Politely tell them, and the manager if need be, that's what you will do and see if they won't give you a gift card. After all you have 14 days to return for full refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.