iPhone translates into new iPod...but when?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lorkp, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Basically, we saw today with iPhone that Apple does have the capability of making a widescreen iPod. Does anyone have an idea for when they'll release this next version of the iPod?

2. macrumors 6502a

darwen

Any answers you get are going to be speculation with little support. Any floating rumors about a widescreen ipod pretty much went into today's release.

I would venture to guess holiday season if at all. Maybe September. Again, this and everything that follows is a complete guess. There is no way to know at this point.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note too that the iPhone has a unusually high resolution 160 dpi screen and STILL doesn't have significantly more actual pixels than the "regular" 5G iPod (480x280 vs 320x240). Neither is enough to render full resolution downloads from the iTunes Store, much less HD programming.

B

4. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You got the resolutions wrong.

320x480 vs 320x240.

Same width, double height. It's also the width of a PSP, but taller. Double the pixels of the regular iPod I guess.

5. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know, but the 5G ipod is looking really dated to me right now.

6. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

What I want to know, if this is meant to be an iPod replacement, is if it is only 4GB and 8GB, how will you be able to store songs, photos, contacts, all the phones other data AND videos:confused: My 30GB iPod isn't even enough for my tv shows and movies etc.

I still want one though:D :cool:

7. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I saw that when I looked it up at apple.com after I posted. :eek: I made the incorrect assumption the screen was 16:9 (1.77) when in fact it's more like 3:2 (1.5).

It's twice the pixels, but still only half the total pixels of a VGA 640x480 display.

B

8. macrumors 65816

ziwi

it makes sense that this is the next iPod - if they are going to continue to provide to the market and not force everyone into an all in one device.

If they released that iPhone as just an iPod - it would have sold a billion on it's own - they have done it, but did not rev the pod - why? Afraid that it will eat iPhone sales? Who knows, but if they can make the iPod like that and add the internet stuff so you can pick up wireless access points, basically the iPod and internet stuff then it is a real neat device as well.

It will be interesting to see where the iPod goes from here.

9. macrumors 68020

To answer the question of when Apple will announce a stand-alone widescreen true iPod video...

I would guess that they will do so either at the next keynote/media event, like last year's "Fun Products" some time in March or April. Or, it will be announced at a keynote in September or October just in time for the holiday season.

10. macrumors regular

if they were to shead the cell phone aspect and just make a wifi compatable ipod with ichat, that would be my new best friend. id gladly drop 400 dollars on it. AND if they can fit all that junk they did into the iphone and still keep it only 11.6 mm then im sure they can shrink the thickness of the ipod since 1/3 the components are missing... makes sense no? :D

11. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

agreed...however I'm not complaining because that iPhone will satisfy my iPod need for quite some time.

12. macrumors regular

i hope it comes soon and it comes at less than £300 - but with the release of the iPhone it won't come out for a while... :mad:

13. macrumors regular

I'm with you, but there is no way they might have trouble maintaining the same thickness. Since the iPhone uses flash memory, and a true video iPod would probably use a HD, it would have to be at least as think as the current 5G iPod.

14. macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm hoping a full widescreen real video ipod will come out after this two months they need to take the iPhone through FCC approval. I don't know why just a hunch. They can't possibly think that the 5G iPod will last in all territories until 2008 (the iphones release date in asia). That would be insane. It's dated now, in fact as soon as the nano mk2 came out it was looking dated really.

Three months off I reckon (I'm hoping that though remember). :)

15. macrumors 68040