iPhone UK Launch and 3G iPhone Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

MacWorld.co.uk points to to a Telegraph interview with O2's chief executive Matthew Key who provides some details on how O2 became Apple's iPhone partner in the UK. After meeting with Steve Jobs in Cupertino, Key had come to a decision:
    According to FT.com, Key expects "a couple of hundred thousand" iPhones to be sold in the first two months in the UK. FT.com also claims that the 3G version of the iPhone is due in the second half of next year, though the exact source is not cited. Regardless, Key appears confident that O2 would also get rights to the 3G iPhone when it arrives.

Article Link
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2007
    Looking Forward to Launch

i hope to get one on friday. finally in the UK
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2007
    good for the uk now they have this deal done apple can focus on asia Pacific. because i want a god damn iphone. a real one not a hacked one :apple:
  4. macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2007
    I wonder if Apple will link with Three networks when they release there 3G iPhone?
  5. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Soon they will get their hands on the 3G "bloody" iPhone.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    "bloody" 3G iPhone ;)
  7. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2006
    I listened to O2 boss Peter Erskine on Radio 5 last night.

He said, quote, unquote, that 3G will be addressed next year.

Have a listen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/webiz/
    It's about 30 minutes in.

No real surprise if a 3G handset does appear next year, the surprise wil be how many people are prepared to part cash for this model.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006

Considering what happened this year - announced early at MacWorld (due to the inevitability of the FCC making details available) for release in June. I think it's quite likely that Apple will announce a 3G iPhone at MacWorld in January for release much later in the year.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    The iPhone is the best phone on the market by far - even though it doesn't have 3G. That's why people will part with their cash. When a 3G phone becomes available - even better (assuming they do manage to fit it into the same size and keeping good battery life).
  10. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2006
    What, you think Apple will give you a free upgade?

If ever there was a product that was worth holding off until the second incarnation (which is, seemingly, already in the works) then this is it.

The one saving grace would be if Apple chose not to release the 3G phone until 18 months time when the contracts would have finished for early adopters.

11. macrumors 6502a

Sep 2, 2006
    a gasping dying planet

i'm looking to enter the iphone world sometime february when my tmobile contract is up . . . but with 3G on the horizon . . . would apple actually release those details in January and expect sales NOT to drop waiting for 3G to be released?
  12. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    Manchester, UK
    3G would be a major deal for the iPhone, because it is fairly near to what most people have for broadband, unlike the current bandwidth which can be painfully slow.

If it was 3G however, then the iPhone could really just have a good faster always on connection, and with the SDK being released soon, possibly even a VoIP client. Of course I don't see any sane Mobile phone network signing up for that of course :/
  13. macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2001
    South of Boston, MA
    Apple does not need to wait for contracts to expire, what they could do instead is offer an 3G iPhone upgrade for an iPhone Trade in, extended two year contract (which is worth more to Apple than the iPhone) and a $200.00 3G iPhone.

How many existing iPhone users would do that? Pay $200 + sign on for another 2 year contract?
  14. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2007
    Oddly enough, the time thus far waiting for the iPhone to become available has actually been enough time for me to talk myself out of buying one. My ol' Samsung NoCam SuckyTone is working just fine. So while rumours of Intro to iPhone sessions at the Eaton Centre in Toronto have caught my interest, I've already talked myself down from the hype, so I'll have money for Christmas even if the iPhone does come.

Besides, it will probably be overpriced anyway. If I do get one, I don't intend to pay a penny more than the US price.
  15. macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2006
    I ordered my iPhone on Friday. Should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. And I would DEFINITELY do that. Assuming its 6 to 8 months from now.
  16. macrumors 65816

Oct 3, 2007
    I would gladly go this route rather than paying another $400-$500 plus.
  17. Nym
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    Porto, Portugal
    Seriously, am I the only person in this world who is waiting for the non-3G iPhone?

My girlfriend has a Nokia 6280 and although we live in a full 3G covered area we never used it for video-calling or any other service that it supports.

Instead, the only thing that 3G "enabled" does is drain a cell phone's battery in less than 24 hours, I'm eager to pick up my non 3G iPhone when it arrives in my country before it's replaced by the probably more power-hungry 3G model.

And you can ask: Why do you want an iPhone then?

Humm, I'm waiting to buy a new iPod (my 1st gen Nano is dying) and I need a phone that syncs 100% with my Mac, for Safari, Mail and all those features I'll use the wi-fi connections that are available in most places I'm at:

At home and at work :)

I've been using a 1G GSM-only phone for the last decade and there's no better thing than charging your cell phone once a week, no 3G is going to top this freedom IMO.

Just my 2 cents to the whole iPhone/3G issue.
  18. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2006
    Get real - why would Apple do that?
    They know all the people mad enough to buy an iPhone now (as in, November, almost a year after it was unveiled, and with it's 3G successor in the works) will happly fork out another fortune for the new model once it comes available.

At most, you'd $100 (£50) off if you upgraded - that would keep you sweet.
  19. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2006
    Alternatively, buy an iPhone Touch, that covers the iPod and Safari issues.

Meanwhile, at work and at home, why not use your computer?

See, I've saved you money, and you won't be any worse off.
  20. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2007
    I am pretty sure Apple will do their best to prevent any kind of easy VoIP application development on the iPhone... that is just how they are.

And it is also worrying hearing that O2 expects to gets the rights to the next iPhone revision as well. This means Apple will continue to make the iPhone exclusive to specific carriers..... Please Apple, don't bring that greedy anti consumer friendly buisness overseas, stay in the U.S... please.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2006
    Do you take the same line with everything you buy - refusing to pay any more than the U.S. equivalent? Presumably then you ship your car over to the U.S. to fill up with petrol, get your vegetables shipped over first class, and get everything electrical over the net?

Really if you live most places outside the states (especially Europe) then that's the price you pay for living there - higher prices and higher taxes. Live with it!
  22. macrumors 68040

Oct 23, 2006
    3 UK do this... unlimted* skype :)
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    No, I'm not expecting Apple to offer a 3G iPhone as an upgrade. I expect they will require customers to pay the usual price for the phone. However, I don't think they will require customers to wait until the end of their contract - I think they will waive the old contract if customers sign up to a new 18 month (perhaps like O2 have just added to their web site - customers who buy the old iPhone before the new one is announced can move to a new contact wihtout any penalty, customers who buy the old iPhone after the announcement will have to pay a penalty).

I'm happy to give up my 3G M600i for the iPhone - and I'm happy to pay for it now, and if a 3G iPhone comes out late next year I'll decide whether it's worth paying for that too.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2001
    South of Boston, MA
    Don't Get Me Wrong

Hi, don't get me wrong. I love my Edge iPhone. I looked at 3G phones in the a past and you're right the technology, just isn't there. It's like buying an hydrogen cell car, but there's nowhere to refuel it.

Also after playing around with an Edge iPhone I have to say that Edge isn't that bad. Sure WiFi is faster, but then again a hardwire network connection is faster than WiFi...but we still like WiFi. If I had a choice today between a 3G phone or an Edge iPhone, I would go with an iPhone. Hands down...no question. For me personally the iPhone is the best phone I've ever used!
  25. macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2007
    According to the wiki on EDGE, with some fine tuning Edge itself can be made to have speeds of 60k/sec (or just under). I'm not saying AT&T/O2 has those speeds, but surely that's fast enough for general browsing.

It's not like there are any apps to download, or that you can dl images and view them in Photo's. :)